Photo! How many calories do you think are in this plate?

Options
Hi!
I’ve been going to a local grocery store with a hot bar for a couple weeks and I generally make this plate every day and curious how many calories you guys think are in it since I don’t have a scale at work. I generally assume the whole plate is around 1,000 calories and I split it into a meal around 1 and another meal around 6. Do you think 1,000 is about accurate?

Hot bar is 12.99/1lb. Today I paid $12.30 so let’s the total amount of food is 1 full pound.

1qgvku15ltmj.jpeg

The plate consists of:
1.) Roasted green beans & asparagus (and a carrot lol).
2.) Baked salmon
3.) Piece of skirt steak
4.) Piece of roast turkey slice
5.) A forkful if Mac and cheese :)
6.) Brown rice

The veggies seam pretty oil soaked D:

Also I never posted a picture before- I’m sorry if it doesn’t come up properly

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad guess. But, it's hard to even guess without knowing how big the container is, how the food was prepared, etc.
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bring a scale with you, and ask the people that run the hot bar for all of the ingredients in the items, and input them into MyFitnessPal. Evan than the people who provide this information may not have tracked how much oil was included in the product. For ease of mind I would agree with the other person who mentioned not going through the headache of getting an exact measurement.

I also don't think it's a 1,000 calories, but knowing the exact amount of calories it has would include some research. If you're eating this everyday, and you're okay with the weight you're at I say don't worry. Good luck though.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Tough without perspective to see how big things are, but 1000 is probably too high.

Veggies - 100 calories for cooking oil, don't worry about calories in beans and carrots themselves because of small serving size.

Mac and cheese - 50 calories

Brown rice - looks like 25 grams or so. Call it 30 calories.

Assume 1 ounce of each meat. Turkey - 30 calories. Skirt steak - 70 calories. Salmon - 40 calories.

Random cooking oil - 100 calories.

In total, I would call that plate no more than 400-500 calories.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    400-500 cals.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Have you tried entering those items in the database with your best estimate of amount to see what it comes up to?
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    really? 30 calories for rice?

It's almost impossible to tell because the scale of the picture is unclear but brown rice is very slightly over 1 calorie per gram (a normal 1 cup serving is about 195 grams/~200 calories). The picture makes it look like there's about 2 Tablespoons on the plate (again, impossible to really say because of scale), or 1/8 of a cup. Thus, about 25-30 calories.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

It's almost impossible to tell because the scale of the picture is unclear but brown rice is very slightly over 1 calorie per gram (a normal 1 cup serving is about 195 grams/~200 calories). The picture makes it look like there's about 2 Tablespoons on the plate (again, impossible to really say because of scale), or 1/8 of a cup. Thus, about 25-30 calories.

Scale is definitely the issue here. To me, that rice looks like it's easily 1/4 to half a cup, which would put us at minimum 60 to 120 calories.

USDA says 1 cup brown rice is 248 calories: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6506

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    works out as 430g doesn't look 1000 calories I'd say 800 max being on the conservative side. Good amount of protein by the looks of it, nom. ;P
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would also put in about 1000. Better to overestimate. But seriously- nothing wrong with bringing a good scale so you at least know approx grams of each thing. Just a little more or less rice and this could be 500 or 1200 calories
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Scale is definitely the issue here. To me, that rice looks like it's easily 1/4 to half a cup, which would put us at minimum 60 to 120 calories.

USDA says 1 cup brown rice is 248 calories: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6506

I compared it with the 'forkful' of mac and cheese. Though you are probably right. I think OP is a little optimistic with her mac and cheese measurements!

I just grabbed the calories in brown rice from a bag of Carolina brand. That says 150 calories per 3/4 cup cooked. Screw it, brown rice is gross anyway.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Let this thread be a lesson to all of us: always include a banana for scale.

or a paper clip at the very least.