Garmin question

Options
Just recently purchased a Garmin hr+ and linked it too mfp. Have noticed that it is way over estimating adjusted calories. Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Replies

• jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have one and I think so. It also counts steps when I'm driving which throws things off. I have to remember to turn the activity tracker off and on.
    I just kinda ignore it and go based off mfp calorie goal and my garmin calories burned during workouts.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be pretty accurate although it will depend on what types of activity you do throughout the day. I only walk for the most part and it's good enough for that. You can stop syncing your step count from your device and just record specific activities via your Garmin if you preferred.
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. Going to have to play around for it a bit and see if can get it sorted. Today it adjusted my daily calories to over 5k. Have a feeling that is slightly off lol.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be pretty accurate for steps, calories activities etc. Always best to take these things with a small pinch of salt though if it has a huge calorie burn for very little done.
  • WbrandonT
    WbrandonT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could link it to other trackers (Like Strava) to get additional calorie counts. I use it as a guideline only and tend not to eat back my calories unless I have done some major (tri,10k,etc)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    I find my Garmin to be spot on but different models seem to have variable accuracy. Is it possible you have accidentally put the wrong stats in somewhere?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Assuming it's a Vivosmart, I scrapped mine (gave it to my wife) because it double counted calories if I used the activity feature. So turn on the "Run" activity and I'd get calories for the run and it would also give me calories for the steps at the end of the day.

I never showed my wife how to use the activities so it's just a step counter for her.

I have a VivoActive HR that works much better, but am eyeballing the VA3.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be very accurate except occasionally it will under-estimate calories. Just yesterday, it counted less than half as many calories as it should have. I can spot it when my HR is clearly incorrect - much lower than it really is. During the day yesterday at rest, the HR was dropping to lower 40's and upper 30's (normally resting HR is upper 40's; last physical was at 48). When I went for a run in the evening at a faster pace than normal, the HRM was showing 120's and 130's when it should have been 150's probably. It showed I burned 212 calories when that distance and pace should be just shy of 500 calories.

The way I fix this is by just turning off the Garmin and then turning it back on again. It only happens once every few months, so it isn't enough that I've ever contacted Garmin about it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be very accurate except occasionally it will under-estimate calories. Just yesterday, it counted less than half as many calories as it should have. I can spot it when my HR is clearly incorrect - much lower than it really is. During the day yesterday at rest, the HR was dropping to lower 40's and upper 30's (normally resting HR is upper 40's; last physical was at 48). When I went for a run in the evening at a faster pace than normal, the HRM was showing 120's and 130's when it should have been 150's probably. It showed I burned 212 calories when that distance and pace should be just shy of 500 calories.

The way I fix this is by just turning off the Garmin and then turning it back on again. It only happens once every few months, so it isn't enough that I've ever contacted Garmin about it.

Have you updated your software? That sometimes fixes the glitches :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I find my Garmin to be spot on but different models seem to have variable accuracy. Is it possible you have accidentally put the wrong stats in somewhere?

I couldn't trust the walking calories from my Fenix 3 HR, they were almost double what they should have been, day after day. My Fenix 5 is almost exactly what the runners works formula predicts for walking.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Have you updated your software? That sometimes fixes the glitches :smile:

Yes, software is up to date.