healthy binder for burger?

Options
1_up
1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
I'm planning to buy 96/4 ground meat. What is a good binder? I was told eggs, wheat bread crumbs so far. Someone said Greek yogurt.

Replies

• lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Quinoa.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if im making home made burgers, i just use fresh minced beef, maybe some chopped onion in it and some mustard and just mould it into big pattys. If te beef is fresh, it shouldnt need a binder. I would only use binder for frozen mince as then its all bitty rather than stays together
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you have a burger press? I use 93% with Worcestershire and the burger press. They are a little crumbly but still work.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    We only use super lean burger and never need to use a binder.
  • bite_me
    bite_me Posts: 2
    Options
    I've just started using oats as a binder! You can't even tell they're in there! And it's a whole grain, so that's a bonus!
  • mamaberube
    Options
    My mom always used oats and egg, so for 1 lb burger add 1 egg (even just the whites would work) and about 1/2 a cup of oats - if it's too wet add more oats, since the oats are binding actually - you could use water I bet it would help the oats plump up and bind....not sure 4 that one though but it's worth a try!! Bread crumbs and eggs work as well, alot of people swear by it, I like just meat but I can't find 94% FF here in Canada so I use veggie burgers now - or I splurge...all the best, I hope your burger turn out delish!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    We only use super lean burger and never need to use a binder.

+1
  • PainterB
    PainterB Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    5-minute oats and eggbeater
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say ground oats and egg beaters!
  • dwa6388
    dwa6388 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    we've have switched to the boca route instead of beef
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!