Strategy

Options
How do you stay calm when weighing yourself. Do you have any strategy.

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

It's just data that you use to make decisions about actions going forward. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit - unless your scale is really dangerous to get to or stand on or something. In that case, the best strategy would be to get a new scale.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I stay calm because I know my food intake is on point. The scale is just a tool to measure progress, and I'm aware of the things that can affect the reading (water weight fluctuations and what causes them).

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, so I know that any sudden jumps will be water weight. Weighing every day also makes me more mindful about my food choices, so I know that I'm not gaining weight, or if there is any creep, I can correct it before it gets out of hand. I don't fear the scale anymore.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Recognizing that what I weigh on any given day doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Pooling single points of data over weeks and months allows me to see whether or not I'm actually progressing towards my goal (and adjust accordingly if not).
  • Nutritionislife
    Nutritionislife Posts: 25 Member
    Options

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The disadvantage of only weighing weekly, for me, is that any fat loss can easily be masked by water weight. My weight jumps around a lot day to day, but it's the overall trend that I'm interested in. That's easier to see with daily weighing, so long as you're not inclined to freak out at the daily fluctuations and make decisions based on a single scale reading.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Advantages of weighing every day vs every week

I wouldn't recommend weekly while you're in loss phase. It's not enough data and it will take too long for you to see trends develop (for example, you won't be able to see if any changes you make are having the desired effect for at least 3 weeks if you're only weighing once per week).

You can split the difference. Rather than weighing daily, weigh yourself 3 times a week or so.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dietitian did not want me weighing in more than once a week. For some people, the scale becomes the whole focus of the weight loss and they will weigh themselves obsessively many times a day. When really the victory is made in the kitchen and the food choices that are made.

Fat loss and weight loss are not quite the same thing. The true picture of what you lost that day or week may be +/- 5 pounds. So my preference is once a week at most.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You really need to calm down. It’s just a data point. This affects you so much that I really think you shouldn’t weigh yourself at all. Just take your measurements once a month.
    Once. A. Month.
    Don’t make it a new obsession.
  • LeanneDodd1983
    LeanneDodd1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always used to weigh myself religiously every week/ sometimes everyday and punish myself when i didnt reach my expected weight loss - it would really get me down and and i would either starve myself that day or binge eat!

I am not really overweight - i would like to be down about 10 pounds so i decided a few months back to start eating healthier again and working out when i felt like it, one crucial thing i stopped doing was weighing myself. I haven't weighed myself at all this time round but i have dropped a dress size and everybody has commented on me looking slimmer.

I feel so much more happier and found it so much easier not dreading what the scale says! Its been a breeze and i dont even feel like i am dieting!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Strategy:
    1. Approach the scale
    2. Mount the scale
    3. Wait for the display to settle
    4. Read the number on the scale display
    5. Dismount the scale
    6. Optionally record the reading
    7. Go on with the rest of the day