Bordom while running?

Options
Hello, I’m a beginner runner and I run about 3 times a week with bad runs being about 2 miles long at a 8:30 per mile pace to about 4.6 miles at a 9:30 per mile pace. I’ve noticed that one of the reasons I don’t run very far is boredom. Any tips?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Try new routes, run beautiful places, find a running group in your area, listen to music/podcasts.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Try new routes, run beautiful places, find a running group in your area, listen to music/podcasts.

/thread
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Audio books!
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have my favorite Pandora station and rock out to 80s music. :wink:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    remmus102 wrote: »
    Hello, I’m a beginner runner and I run about 3 times a week with bad runs being about 2 miles long at a 8:30 per mile pace to about 4.6 miles at a 9:30 per mile pace. I’ve noticed that one of the reasons I don’t run very far is boredom. Any tips?

No need for any answers other than the above. That said, why do you need to run longer? What are you goals? 10-15 miles per week is more than adequate for somebody who just wants to run for fitness.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I tend towards music over audiobooks or podcasts because then I can tune in or out mentally of what is coming thru the headphones as I want. Unless I decide I need an extended walk break, then I hit the podcasts.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I used to run along the river along the Greenway in Roanoke, VA. I just listened to all of the "silence". Early morning or late afternoon.....there is a ton of "silence".....frogs, birds, wind, water running, crickets, et al. It was so peaceful.

EDIT: about mile five or so my breathing would become a little bit labored....amazing how the "silence" did not go away. I would hear between breathes all of the "silence". I could never get bored.....
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have fun with the zombie run app. It's a (free) interactive podcast where you play a character in the story, running to get supplies, ect. Occasionally zombies get close and you've got to outrun them. In between the narrative your music will come on.

Thanks for this suggestion! I totally struggle with boredom while running, this app sounds like so much fun. Downloading it now to try this evening!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Pokémon Go/Ingress can also make running more interesting.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I switched to an elliptical in my basement with a TV. No more boredom or dealing with the weather.
  • Christine_2017
    Christine_2017 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I sometimes watch a tv show, mobile propped up on the treadmill and headphones in - not sure if that helps or you have access but time definitely flies x
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You could run intervals, mixing up your pace. That gives your mind something to pay attention to.
    I often leap garbage cans and run stepping only on a painted line and run along curbs or anything I can balance on. Or run hills.
    Anything to mix it up. It helps to keep it interesting.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Running and boredom are just not 2 things I have ever encountered. I get lost in my own thoughts, music and scenerey.. it my ME time. Sorry no help at all.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Try trail running
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try an app called rock my run. The reggae channel is my fave.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Listen to music or podcasts, vary your route, or run with a friend or group.