First post! Anyone here use fitbit ?

Options
Hi was wandering if anyone here uses a fitbit and if they can tell me how accurate the calories burned is for them. I am using a fitbit blaze and it gives more calories to eat for exercise I have done. Has anyone ate back the calories with fitbit and still lost weight? Thanks in advance for any replys! ☺

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people (including myself) find it to be very accurate. Others find it to be less accurate.

I have been eating back all my calories since July 2015 and I lose/maintain exactly as expected.

The best way to tell will be your real life results.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ate back the calories with fitbit and still lost weight?

Many people here have. Like the poster above said you need to try and check for yourself. For me it has been overestimating my burns by about 300-400cals a day since I got it in 2016.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I agree with @gebeziseva - my Fitbit overestimates calories a bit. I set my activity to sedentary and let FitBit track anything extra I did for the day and eat back about 1/4-1/2 calories depending on how intense any exercise was during the day (versus just walking around).

I have been using FitBit in conjunction with MFP since April 2016. Took trial and error to figure out what would work for me. I recommend you start with eating back all or half the calories that Fitbit adds to your total calories consistently for 4 weeks then determine how the approach aligned with your goals and expectations - adjust up or down from there.

Good luck.
  • Fantasyfan882017
    Fantasyfan882017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ☺
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I've been using an Alta since June 2016 and usually eat my calories back. I set my activity on mfp to sedentary and use it to track the extras. I've found it accurate - have been maintaining for almost a year quite happily.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I adjusted the measurement of my walking and running gait because the setting it comes with is not accurate for a lot of people. After I did that, the calories are really pretty right on. I have lost 30 pounds this year and fitbit has been a very useful tool in doing that. It is especially great if you run or want to track your heart rate. My resting heart rate has improved by almost 10 beats per minutes. It's nice for me to see that laid out on a graph. I like seeing the results laid out that way.