Breast Cancer weight gain

Options
Hi, everybody - I had breast cancer a couple of years ago and really let myself go after surgery. I gained 50 pounds. Part of the problem may be that I take femara, an estrogen suppressant, that causes weight gain, and seroquel for bipolar disorder, which also causes weight gain. I won't know if I can lose weight on these drugs until I get very conscious through this website on how much I consume. I would love to hear from anyone else who faces these challenges. Thanks. Holly

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have not, but my mom just finished chemo and is set for a mastectomy in a few weeks. Her oncologist and all the nurses have been so kind, have you called your cancer team and asked them?
  • cheriew68
    cheriew68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, 4 years and 9 month Survior. I have also gained a lot of weight. I am not on meds. I have been in a Depression. I am also trying to get a handle on my weight and Health:)
  • lisajimthompson
    lisajimthompson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy and radiation for breast cancer a year ago. I have been on Femara for a year now. I have gained 10 pounds since September. I retired in May and have been devoting much attention to myself and my health. I exercise 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, track my food, and get plenty of rest. This is more than I have ever done, yet I am gaining weight. I lost 10 pounds doing low carb (under 50 grams) a while back and kept it off until September when I gained 10 pounds in about 4 months time. I decided to stop low carb and I joined MFP today.