Scales haven't budged?

Options
fungry_04
fungry_04 Posts: 42 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Since Sunday I've worked out hard everyday and eaten my 1200 calories and the scales havent changed one bit. Is this normal? I thought I would have at least lost 100g or so by now but not at all!! I've gone from not exercising at all too 30-40 hard workouts 5 days a week would my body be getting used to it and holding water or something? Any advice appreciated. I should also mention my gym instructor took my measurements to compare in a month, I know there a more accurate way to determine weight loss.

Replies

• cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    After a day or two of hard exercise i dont tend to see weight drops untill 2-3 days after stopping the exercise. The body tends to hold onto water when muscles are stressed and sheds it as it heals up.

Immediately after and during exercise i see weight gains. I regularly see 3-4 pound differences after intensive exercise periods - but only after a couple of days of rest. The net difference is usually in line with my diet and exercise calculations - but only over the longer period.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    But are you losing inches? Like mer55 said, it's possible to lose fat yet stay at the same weight (losing fat from exercise but gaining muscle and water weight too). I've been stuck at 268 myself for a few weeks, but have lost another inch off my waist in that same timespan.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I looked at your diary and cals logged: Sunday nothing logged, Monday 1068, Tuesday, 660 and Wed 1544. I went back 6 weeks prior and entries are blank.

So there is only a three day trend started this is not enough time. That said, trend your weight including your monthly cycle over 4-6-8 weeks. Might wanna look into a weight trending app as well.

This. Also, if you've just started working out, you're going to be retaining water from that, too.

Are you wearing your Garmin while you are doing your aerobics workouts? If so, by tracking both the aerobics separately and having the Garmin sync you are double-dipping on your exercise calories.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    But are you losing inches? Like mer55 said, it's possible to lose fat yet stay at the same weight (losing fat from exercise but gaining muscle and water weight too). I've been stuck at 268 myself for a few weeks, but have lost another inch off my waist in that same timespan.

its been 3-4 days. she has not put on muscle mass in 3-4 days.

I know. That's why I also said it could be water weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

its been 3-4 days. she has not put on muscle mass in 3-4 days.

I know. That's why I also said it could be water weight.

But they aren't going to lose measurable inches in 3-4 days. You lost an inch after a few weeks.

The OP needs to start thinking long term instead of days.
  • fungry_04
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I looked at your diary and cals logged: Sunday nothing logged, Monday 1068, Tuesday, 660 and Wed 1544. I went back 6 weeks prior and entries are blank.

So there is only a three day trend started this is not enough time. That said, trend your weight including your monthly cycle over 4-6-8 weeks. Might wanna look into a weight trending app as well.

This. Also, if you've just started working out, you're going to be retaining water from that, too.

Are you wearing your Garmin while you are doing your aerobics workouts? If so, by tracking both the aerobics separately and having the Garmin sync you are double-dipping on your exercise calories.

I am, but also aware that the general is just my step.count and not an actual workout. I do try to make sure I'm not eating my calories.
  • fungry_04
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just a bit bummed that the scales haven't changed at all. I'm working so freaking hard for what feels like nothing. Usually when I eat well and don't exercise I lose about 400g a day so this is hard for me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You're going to have days and weeks where the scale number goes down, but you're also going to have days/weeks where it stays the same and when it goes up. That's how weight loss works for everyone. Please try to reign in your expectations, or you're really going to have a difficult time with this!
  • kerrylkatriviera
    kerrylkatriviera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have lost about forty-five pounds in the past year. Like a lot of people, losing the first twenty was nothing. But after that, there were a lot of plateaus. I was stuck at 150 for the longest time, but all that time, my measurements were visibly shrinking. I must have been gaining some muscle because I do strength training.

I weigh myself once a week, but don't worry as much anymore if a week goes by and I haven't lost a pound. I keep pants one size smaller in my closet, and try them on once in a while to see how close I am getting. Now all of the small pants fit me, and I have to go shopping tomorrow to get a size 4 since although my weight has plateaued, I seem to have whizzed through a size 6.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly I question whether a household scale is capable of accurately distinguishing changes as small as 100 g, even if it’s capable of displaying to that degree of precision. Just to make sure it’s not stuck, you might try standing on it holding something heavy, just to force a change.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    400 grams is .9 lbs - you are expecting to lose almost a pound a day, everyday?

I think your expectations are unrealistic and unhealthy, unless you are just starting out and have 100+ pounds (45+kgs) to lose.

Plug your stats into MFP and eat the amount of calories they give you. Weigh all of your food in grams, measure all liquids with a measuring cup or spoons, and log it all in MFP. Follow for 4 weeks. If you lose .5-1 kg a week, you're probably doing great. If you don't lose weight and you know you logged accurately, drop calories by approx. 200/day and try it for 4 weeks. Then adjust again if needed.
    fungry_04 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just a bit bummed that the scales haven't changed at all. I'm working so freaking hard for what feels like nothing. Usually when I eat well and don't exercise I lose about 400g a day so this is hard for me.