Carb Cycling to lose - Trying to wrap my head around it

Options
Hey everyone, looking for feedback from MFP experts ;0 as well as those that have used a cycle approach with success and failure!!!
I have done the calorie counting - however I am having a hard time getting back into the groove and have always been interested in trying the carb cycle. I would do the 3-1 2-1 to start and would never ever go all zero carb...even for a day. That approach just is not for me. I have a bad relationship with carbs, I however know I can not live carb free. I have looked at some ideas - recipes etc for the low carb days and more often than not a single serving recipe for low carbers, the calories are holy heck high!!! I assume due to the use of healthy fats as well as dairy. A lot of the forums, web sites, books etc do not pay any mind to calories. Should I be?? Should I watch both while doing this? I think because I have always counted calories only that seeing the calorie per serving for a meal be over 500...scares me a little!!

Also - previous cyclers - what was your out take on the whole thing? Worth it?

Thanks !!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As far as I know, most folks who carb-cycle are athletes who eat low-carb on non-training days, and high-carb on training days to fuel their intense workouts.

I've dabbled with keto and carb-cycling in the past but settled for a regular balanced diet instead.

I think the main thing you should focus on is simplicity and sustainability. Ask yourself: can I keep eating this way forever? If not - what is my plan after I reach my goal weight to not fall into my old patterns? What habits have I built that will carry me forward?

That's the issue with all these specialized ways of eating: they end up being a pain in the butt, too restrictive or unsustainable. And once you give up on it, you're back to your old habits.

If carbs are a problem for you, why not just start preparing low-carb dinners? Eat all the carbs you want for breakfast and lunch, but focus your dinners on veggies and protein. It's an easy tactic.

Edit: And yes, it all comes down to calories. Weighing your food with a food scale and tracking it, and sticking to a calorie deficit will result in weight loss regardless of your dietary choices.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thank you Toxikon. I think the complexity of it is why I never actually tried it before. My mind is calorie count trained so the high calories concerned me too. Simple works - I was living proof lol I just like to change things up a bit when I can not get out of my own way. I do not want fad diets, just something different that i can live with.
    Thank you tons for you advice :smile:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    chasetwins wrote: »
    Thank you Toxikon. I think the complexity of it is why I never actually tried it before. My mind is calorie count trained so the high calories concerned me too. Simple works - I was living proof lol I just like to change things up a bit when I can not get out of my own way. I do not want fad diets, just something different that i can live with.
    Thank you tons for you advice :smile:

No problem! There's definitely no harm in trying carb-cycling and it does work for some people. When it comes to weight loss, I am trying to shift to the "big picture". I've yo-yo'd too much with specialized diets over the years, so now I'm trying to train myself to simply eat in moderation and stay on top of calorie counting. It's simple - not easy, but simple. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you don't need to carb cycle to lose weight. I find it helpful for me because i use more of a TDEE formula and tweak as needed. I do counter to what many say - my higher carb days tend to be on rest/easy days to replenish glycogen stores - but even then, my LOW day carbs are like 270g (my high day is 370g)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The thing i loved about calorie cycling was the higher calorie ultra high carb days (2500 cal, 320g of carbs with 175g of protein) . They were great for my lifting sessions. What i didnt like were my lower calorie, low carb days (2200 calories, 175g of protein and 120g of carbs)... the food volume on low carb is terrible and i am a volume eater. I only sustained it for a few months and then i started to dred the low carb days.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Thank you psuLemon - I am thinking it is not sustainable myself and I have not even started it lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    chasetwins wrote: »
    Thank you psuLemon - I am thinking it is not sustainable myself and I have not even started it lol

Personally i do better focusing on calories, protein and fiber. And then look for foods that satiate me.

Ironically i am no longer logging and slowing losing weight through food modification.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle, with low(er) carbs on non training days, "normal" carbs on training days, with the exception of one higher day on the weekend.... It just makes the weekend more fun! :)
  • chasetwins
    Options
    I carb cycle, with low(er) carbs on non training days, "normal" carbs on training days, with the exception of one higher day on the weekend.... It just makes the weekend more fun! :)

LMFAO!!!! Best time for it ;)