egg failure

Options
I took the bod pod test (sometimes called "the egg") and failed it... somehow working out for four months nearly every day, cutting out restaurant food and beer didn't work... my weight went down but so did muscle mass, and my fat went up...

Perhaps the missing link was in tracking my intake and output more precisely, and thus here I am.

I would like to discuss health foods, unusual foods (I have Carolina reaper peppers, surströmming, various seaweeds and homemade kimchi here right now) and exercise.

Replies

• KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My husband makes kimchi for me it’s a favorite.
    What kind of work outs did you do? Possibly changing that up would help? I know I plateau if I don’t keep an eye on my sodium. Also seem to need to change things up every 15 lbs or so.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    So, you've been working out and have lost weight but some screwy test (that I've never heard of) is bumming you out.

That's ridiculous. I suspect you're doing fine. You can't miss when you eat well and exercise.

So: f that f'ing test and go have some fun.
  • Joster91
    Joster91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What is this test you speak of? Anyway welcome and I hope MFP will help you with keeping you on track.
  • jackilynch1
    jackilynch1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

This is the test I took, it was probably accurate but I would sure like for it to be wrong!

For exercise I mainly use the total gym 5000 (simulates things like pull ups, butterfly, bench press), kettle-bells, calisthenics (pushups, situps, fit-deck), a rowing machine and my kayak.

I eat a good deal of meat, although I'd like for eating more meat to be the solution to the problem! I buy whole animals from a local free range / grass fed farmer.

Many sources say that kimchi is the world's healthiest food KarenJean81! It is also low calorie and very cheap to make!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bod pod is relatively scientificaly accurate - but you need to retake in the same/similar conditions when you do reassessments - but all body fat measurements have a degree of error to them

how much weight did you lose? what was the differential between muscle mass and fat between your 2 measurements etc?
  • jackilynch1
    Options
    I only lost 7lbs during those four months, but I supposedly gained 30lbs in fat mass?!

According to the doctors suggestions I ate more often during that four months, and ate a LOT more vegetables. Previous to that I had lost considerably more with fasting (which the doctor didn't like) which was a lot easier!

I notice that myfitnesspal doesn't like it if my calories are too low, but I am not hungry every day (or the food isn't so good, I am picky ;) There are definitely days I go over on my calories as well, I try to be moderate about being moderate.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    there is no way that is correct! can you blank out personal details on the results and post them - maybe its a data misinterpretation
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a misread or a malfunction of the machine.
  • jackilynch1
    Options
    I feel more muscular, and my wife and kids have pointed out aspects that are more muscular (larger calf muscles, shoulders and neck, slimmer gut). Either way it provoked me to redouble my efforts and not take doctors too seriously!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    BOD%20POD%20REPORT.png?t=1507226986890

this is similar to what your Bod Pod assessmetnt should look like...can you do a screen capture of your previous and current body composition results
  • jackilynch1
    Options
  • jackilynch1
    Options
    nztbbzpmaoja.png
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    i'd definately question the validity of the second test - did you do it in similar situation (clothing, time between workout and measurement); ask them when the last time the machine was calibrated?
  • jackilynch1
    Options
    Hopefully it is wrong, but I am not taking any chances.

Using myfitnesspal makes it clear how many calories there are in certain foods (like bread and other carbs) and how few there are in others (like kimchi and bone broth). I have also noticed that lengthy cardio gives me real results in burning calories, unlike weightlifting (which I am still doing but less often).

I'll talk to my next doctor about it, but for now the bod pod lady trumps my authoritay!
  • deannalfisher
    edited October 2017
    Options
    but as with any tool - bod pod can have errors...call the place who administered it and say that you are questioning the validity of the results based on previous measurement and you want a re-do if possible.

foods like kimchi and bone broth are going to be uber high in sodium, so you could have been siginificantly retaining water when you went in (as reference, after thanksgiving with ham and other high sodium foods, i am easily up 10-11lbs in water weight; if you happened to have your measurement done while you were retaining water that could explain some of the results)