Why??!!

Options
Why do I always have a negative calorie adjustment???

I'm set to not very active and no matter what I get a negative calorie adjustment with my UA Band for steps.

Today I did 11,561 steps and I still get -199cal.

So annoying

Any suggestions besides disable negative calorie adjustments for what could cause this?

Replies

• KateA2017
    KateA2017 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have had that happen too.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set at? How much does your UA band say you burned with all that activity? Is it syncing properly with MFP?
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Cal are at 1340

Band says I burned 1995

Should I resync it maybe?
  • changeconsumeme
    Options
    Re syncing could be the issue. I also don't allow for a negative calorie adjustment with my Fitbit so that I don't lose out on calories.

Also, if you're walking 12000 steps a day, you should not be set to "not very active" for activity.
  • jamacianredhair
    Options
    I did that thinking it was the issue when I was set to active and getting a neg adjustment but it is still giving me a neg
  • changeconsumeme
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

I suggest combing through this. You can probably stand to eat more and lose weight!
  • jamacianredhair
    Options
    I love to eat lol

I'll do some reading

I disconnected it and reconnected and set my self to active and now it's says -699

Thanks for the link!
  • changeconsumeme
    Options
    Btw I'm not sure how the UA band works, but with FitBit I can see what my actual deficit is. If your deficit is showing a healthy negative of 250-500 kcal a day, you're on the right track.
  • changeconsumeme
    Options
    i disconnected my fitbit for pretty much the same reason, i am set to sedentary but i would do a workout, burn 327 calories and walk another 10K steps and i'd barely look like i tried, the workout burn didn't even count for anything, it gave me an extra 50 calories for the day.

You shouldn't be set to sedentary if you're exercising.
  • changeconsumeme
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Activity levels on MFP are based on lifestyle before exercise, so yes, if my lifestyle isnt really that active, which technically it isn't, then i would set myself to sedentary.

If you're doing more than sitting around without exercise, such as shopping or cleaning or chasing kids or have a job that you work on your feet...you are NOT sedentary.

Lightly active, perhaps.

Plus, if you average 10K steps or more, that would then contribute to your NEAT and still make you NOT sedentary.

Let me put it to you this way. I have a desk job, I rarely get more than 6K steps in a day, and I workout 3-4 times a week for 30 mins at a time, max. I still set it to lightly active. I'm down 60 lbs. It's working for me. Your mileage may vary, but I don't want to go through life restricting myself and I want to eat the max that I can and still lose weight.
  • changeconsumeme
    edited October 2017
    Options
    *edit* MFP doesn't like emojis apparently.

Perhaps I did. I'm sorry. I see SO MANY POSTS with people that restrict to the point of unhealthiness or unhappiness and it gets my ire up. I immediately jumped to be That Person when it wasn't warranted
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while the negative calorie adjustments are way, way off
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Assume you haven't added in any exercise manually? My garmin will have a negative adjustment for steps when I run because it gives me cals for my run.