Oh man, I have a long journey ahead of me

Options
.... I feel really silly doing this, but I've been told it help me keep motivated....

The name is Dave. I'm 26 years old, and I weigh 160kg.

Ive always been a big bloke. In school I towered over everyone else. But I was also fit back then. Since leaving school in 2009, I have put more and more weight on. 50 kgs in total in 8 years.

I have promised myself to make a significant change in my life. The extra weight has given me depression, anxiety and paranoia. I'm just over it.

So here I am today, taking my first step to a new life.

Peace

Replies

• ndonele
    ndonele Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I also feel silly doing posting to strangers but I need to make a change. And I am feeling like the only fat person in the world. I could use some people at my side who understand what I am going through.
  • doconnor91
    doconnor91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm happy to hear you have achieved your goals previously, and are working towards it again. That's awesome.

I think using this app will help me see what I truly can achieve. It's good to know that even complete strangers will support each other in their common goals. Thanks for the sound advice!
  • SoSuave27
    SoSuave27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bro, a journey starts with one step. I have about a 4-5 year journey ahead of me. You got this man!
  • Cynthia1066
    Cynthia1066 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave, trying to lose a large amount of weight is daunting. And I understand so well your feeling, How Did This Happen? But it's never too soon -- or too late -- to turn things around. Best wishes!
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It’s a good accountability tool for sure. Don’t feel silly, we are all here for the same reason. This is the one place I can openly vent and celebrate weight related stuff and everyone understands :) Just... Log in. No matter what happens, just keep coming back :)
  • Roosh513
    Roosh513 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try not to focus too much on how far you have to go. Weight loss takes time and lots of patience. Set very small goals, and aim for those goals first. Once you've mastered one change and you feel like it is mostly habit, you can move on to another change. You'd be surprised at how consistently the weight falls off when making small, manageable change.
  • AusManok74
    AusManok74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good on you for deciding to make a start Dave, there are many people on here that prove it can be done. Just pick realistic goals and stick at them. There will be times when your weight will fluctuate, but don't give up. If you're logging your food as accurately as you can then you WILL lose the weight and feel so much better for it. Also I'd say if there are foods, (or drinks), that you love don't get rid of them completely, just cut back a little and include some lower kj/cal options as well to make sure you're not too hungry on the days you do indulge. You need a lifestyle change, not a diet, so whatever you are doing it needs to be sustainable. Good luck and don't be scared to ask questions here!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's a long journey, but we're all on our own long journeys no matter how much weight we have to lose. Welcome to MFP, @doconnor91 and @ndonele and everyone!
  • Joster91
    Joster91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck Dave, it takes a lot of courage to come on here and share your journey, I too understand the feeling. Take care
  • ladychris29
    ladychris29 Posts: 4,657 Member
    Options
    Hon, every worthy journey begins and ends with taking necessary steps. I didn't expect to lose 60 lbs since last year at this time, completely kick my food addictions, and restore my health. But I took those steps and I'm so glad I did. MFP helped and it'll help you too.
  • doconnor91
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It really is encouraging coming on here and having advice and support from so many people I don't know. I think it makes it better if it is coming from someone completely unbiased.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Dude

I totally get you. Listen up here's the amazingly good news that I didn't even realise at all.

This app REALLY works if you just follow the process.

Here's how I know. Exactly 12 weeks and one day ago I downloaded this app on the advice of my personal trainer.
    I had only just met him that day so I put my trust in him.

I was in a desperate state. 50 years old, diabetic, weighing 130kgs, eating thousands of calories a day in junk food, sick, lonely depressed and on the way to an early death.

Anyway, I was set 2000 calories a day split 40/30/30 carbs, fat, protein and I set out just to eat those calories every day. It was tricky getting organised and doing the shopping for groceries and all that.

Anyway, within 3 weeks I got in a nice rhythm. Started cooking, eating at the same time, eating much the same foods every day. Batch cooking chilli, curry, stew...

Yesterday was day 84 and I weighed in 15.6kgs lighter than on 21 July, lost 12 inches plus round the middle, exercising regular and feeling great. It has saved my life.

Right, follow the advice, use the app, commit to eating the calories every day ...

and in 12 weeks you'll be a new man. Honestly, if I can do it, you can.

• doconnor91
    Options
    Dude

I totally get you. Listen up here's the amazingly good news that I didn't even realise at all.

Here's how I know. Exactly 12 weeks and one day ago I downloaded this app on the advice of my personal trainer.

I was in a desperate state. 50 years old, diabetic, weighing 130kgs, eating thousands of calories a day in junk food, sick, lonely depressed and on the way to an early death.

Anyway, I was set 2000 calories a day split 40/30/30 carbs, fat, protein and I set out just to eat those calories every day. It was tricky getting organised and doing the shopping for groceries and all that.

Anyway, within 3 weeks I got in a nice rhythm. Started cooking, eating at the same time, eating much the same foods every day. Batch cooking chilli, curry, stew...

Yesterday was day 84 and I weighed in 15.6kgs lighter than on 21 July, lost 12 inches plus round the middle, exercising regular and feeling great. It has saved my life.

Right, follow the advice, use the app, commit to eating the calories every day ...

Thats awesome mate! Thanks for the motivation and encouragement. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for so long, and I know losing the weight will help you know. What's pushed me over the edge though is being seen with my partner, who is only 57kgs..... I'm three times her size. I'm embarrassed being seen with her, for her. She is not phased by my size at all, but I hate when people look at her, than me and give me THAT look you know.

And the idea of going to an early grave scares the hell out of me.

So they are my two biggest motivations.

I just regret not taking this stuff seriously long ago
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    doconnor91 wrote: »
    Dude

Thats awesome mate! Thanks for the motivation and encouragement. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for so long, and I know losing the weight will help you know. What's pushed me over the edge though is being seen with my partner, who is only 57kgs..... I'm three times her size. I'm embarrassed being seen with her, for her. She is not phased by my size at all, but I hate when people look at her, than me and give me THAT look you know.

And the idea of going to an early grave scares the hell out of me.

So they are my two biggest motivations.

I just regret not taking this stuff seriously long ago

Feel free to friend me, get logging your food, don't worry too much in the early stages

You will learn loads of tips and tricks, follow lots of people and read their diaries for ideas

These pages are really useful, have a good read as it explains a lot. There are 6 parts, will be very useful to know this at the start

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html

Then I advise you to have a look here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Learn about BMR & TDEE . There are great posts all about them.

You can eat plenty of delicious food son, you do not have to starve. In fact, being starving is
    counterproductive.

If you need any help just message me, be happy to help. I still have 45+ kgs to go.

Make sure you get lots of support, really will help.