Restaurant calorie count variations

We all know that calorie counts on restaurant websites are not exact, but I was just reading a recent comparison of menu calories vs measured calories. It was pretty eye-opening. One dessert at Red Lobster was on the menu for 700 calories but was actually 1200+. Variances of 200-400 calories were very common. Surprisingly they weren't all over either. Some were more than 300 calories less than advertised. But most were over.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Really all I'm wondering is what was the dessert? Because that's a hell of a difference. Did they throw a stick of butter on it before it left the kitchen?
  • wxlaw
    wxlaw Posts: 25 Member
    That's why I'm eating out less when I'm trying to lose weight. I only eat out during weekends and I try to exercise on the days when I'm eating out.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Two of my sons work in restaurant kitchens while they are in school. Based on what they've told me, this finding doesn't surprise me a bit.
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    @jruzer I’d like to hear what your sons have told you that makes this less shocking to you. 300-400 calorie difference seems ridiculous to me. :)
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    A bigger (or smaller) portion of chips/fries than expected, a steak with a bigger band of fat, failing to drain fried food properly, I can see why it happens
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    mae_bud wrote: »
    @jruzer I’d like to hear what your sons have told you that makes this less shocking to you. 300-400 calorie difference seems ridiculous to me. :)

A little oops on oil or butter would do it. Not to mention the dressing/cream etc.
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    Andy10725 wrote: »
    mae_bud wrote: »

A little oops on oil or butter would do it. Not to mention the dressing/cream etc.

Good points. I don’t often use oils/dressings so I forget how quickly those calories can add up!
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    The calorie counts on many menus only deal with the main entree and not the sides, condiments, or other things that come in the order.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    When I eat out, I eat things I can easily dissect. All sauce and dressing goes on the side or is taken off. First of all, I don't like wet food. And, if it's on the side, I can control the calories and the flavor intensity. I have no problems eating out and losing weight by just making good choices. People have to be realistic about what they order and use their own calorie wisdom instead of just believing what a restaurant lists.

I worked in food service for a few years. Expensive items like meat and cheese were measured exactly. Carbs and veggies were measured carefully. Butter, oil, mayo, dressing and sauce weren't measured at all.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited October 2017
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    When I eat out, I eat things I can easily dissect. All sauce and dressing goes on the side or is taken off. First of all, I don't like wet food. And, if it's on the side, I can control the calories and the flavor intensity. I have no problems eating out and losing weight by just making good choices. People have to be realistic about what they order and use their own calorie wisdom instead of just believing what a restaurant lists.

I worked in food service for a few years. Expensive items like meat and cheese were measured exactly. Carbs and veggies were measured carefully. Butter, oil, mayo, dressing and sauce weren't measured at all.
    I also select foods I can easily dissect and I cut the portion in half and put the other half in a to go box.
    We all know that calorie counts on restaurant websites are not exact, but I was just reading a recent comparison of menu calories vs measured calories. It was pretty eye-opening. One dessert at Red Lobster was on the menu for 700 calories but was actually 1200+. Variances of 200-400 calories were very common. Surprisingly they weren't all over either. Some were more than 300 calories less than advertised. But most were over.

I never order dessert for this reason it's just easier to go buy a mug cake and throw it in the microwave for a minute and enjoy it. But in all honestly when I go out to eat, I split all of my food. I will split it in half and eat the one half and put the other half in a to go box for tomorrow.
    I use to think that restaurants gave you one serving of food until I started measuring and weighing (I was blind lmao), now I really realize what one serving is. They give you like 5 servings. It's insane to me how much calories I use to take in with just one meal. Even the appetizers!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Has the rules on restaurants needed to have their calories on menus or available changed recently? I noticed that Cheesecake Factory has removed calories from their menu and took their nutrition guide down on line. I seem to be having a harder time finding restaurants with nutrition guides recently.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    Has the rules on restaurants needed to have their calories on menus or available changed recently? I noticed that Cheesecake Factory has removed calories from their menu and took their nutrition guide down on line. I seem to be having a harder time finding restaurants with nutrition guides recently.

With some that don't have the calories on it I look up the nutritional facts on google and normally they have it on the restaurants website. But I don't trust that either though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Really all I'm wondering is what was the dessert? Because that's a hell of a difference. Did they throw a stick of butter on it before it left the kitchen?

I think it was called Chocolate Wave.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I tend to stick with the very large chains owned by conglomerates, as this decreases the probability of variations. As a former server and bartender all throughout college and grad school, I can tell you that the mega chains are far more meticulous about food costs in their kitchens, and as a result tend to weigh and measure everything with little variation (even when the employees order food). This is especially true among concept stores which are non-franchised and ran by corporate. Much of the food comes prepackaged from distribution centers already portioned. Their goal is to theoretically give a customer an identical experience if they were to order an entree in New York City or Texas. It's all about uniformity to them.

All the comparisons were from large chains.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I tend to stick with the very large chains owned by conglomerates, as this decreases the probability of variations. As a former server and bartender all throughout college and grad school, I can tell you that the mega chains are far more meticulous about food costs in their kitchens, and as a result tend to weigh and measure everything with little variation (even when the employees order food). This is especially true among concept stores which are non-franchised and ran by corporate. Much of the food comes prepackaged from distribution centers already portioned. Their goal is to theoretically give a customer an identical experience if they were to order an entree in New York City or Texas. It's all about uniformity to them.

Do you have a link to the article to which you're referring? It would be helpful for people who feel they have a need to argue about this to have the source of your info.

Personally, I can see where chain restaurant desserts and appetizers would have more variation from the official menu listing. These are items that are high profit margin items that are ordered by a smaller fraction of the customers than the entrees, and they're usually shared at the table. Even if the base item (cake, pie, etc) is well portioned, they're often covered in a lot of sugary sauce poured on at the time of service that isn't necessarily portion controlled.

I'd be more interested in seeing how much variation is in the mainline menu items, especially where the menu calls out "lighter" options. That's where people who are trying to watch their calories are going to rely most on the menu counts.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Do you have a link to the article to which you're referring? It would be helpful for people who feel they have a need to argue about this to have the source of your info.

Personally, I can see where chain restaurant desserts and appetizers would have more variation from the official menu listing. These are items that are high profit margin items that are ordered by a smaller fraction of the customers than the entrees, and they're usually shared at the table. Even if the base item (cake, pie, etc) is well portioned, they're often covered in a lot of sugary sauce poured on at the time of service that isn't necessarily portion controlled.

I'd be more interested in seeing how much variation is in the mainline menu items, especially where the menu calls out "lighter" options. That's where people who are trying to watch their calories are going to rely most on the menu counts.

I read it in a newspaper. The old fashioned kind on paper. ;)

It probably is online though. I'll see if I can find it.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    edited October 2017
    It was the Brownie Overboard. It consists of 3 brownie triangles with a large scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce and caramel sauce drizzled. Are we really surprised that it has more than 700 calories?

I worked at Red Lobster for years... and I worked there while I consistently counted calories and ate there ALL the time (sometimes twice per day) and I lost weight--70 lbs. at that time, and since I stopped I've gained 50 back :neutral: --- They have healthy options.

I do agree that sometimes the calorie count on menus can be misleading... I typically do a comparison with other food that is just like it when I log. That same article also suggested that many restaurants overestimate calories- which you are leaving vital calories on the table that you could be eating if you are actually counting. So that sucks too.

I would be skeptical if you go out to eat. However, it's all about what you choose :)

Oh and the Chocolate Wave has like 2000 calories. Crazy.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Oh ok, I can see how a dessert with two sauces and cream and ice cream could end up higher than advertised. There aren't a lot of places that do those sorts of desserts here in the UK, or at least not the places I eat (mostly independents, we have chains but on your local high street you'll find a lot of independents) so I forget that they're more prevalent in the US. And that's not an insult, just observation.