Need Runner’s Opinion

Options
I have been learning to run over the last 4 weeks (today is middle of 4th). Running three times a week on a program that uses walk-run drills and free form runs of increasing length.

I feel like I have been pretty reasonable about it, and don’t think I’ve been overdoing it at all (though of course pushing to improve).

Today after my run I noticed this bruise:cpx32mdkxzcg.jpeg
This is definitely from running, no possibility it is from anything else. So runner’s opinion, what is this and do I need to worry? Ease back? Do something to prevent? It does not hurt really unless I poke it. Lol.

Replies

• tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical doctor, but at first glance, it looks like something external (bumping into something). You can get similar looking marks from strain injuries, however, so if you can really exclude any external sources, it might be better to get it checked out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been running for decades and I've never gotten a bruise like that from running except for the time I tripped and fell and bumped my knee on a rock. Are you sure you didn't bruise it doing something else? I'm no expert, though. I don't really know if other runners get bruises like this...But anyway, a bruise wouldn't stop me from running unless it was causing a lot of pain and was associated with a greater injury - like a sprain. You say it's not causing pain, so I'm guessing it's OK. :)
  • nursebravo14
    nursebravo14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As long as there's no pain or reddness...or not warm or hot to touch your fine. Dvt is unlikely unless your sedentary or just had surgery. Or you have a blood clotting disorder.
    I think your fine. But check with your doctor if you have concerns.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That looks more like an impact wound. There is nothing physiologically at that point in the calf, except potentially a tear, that would injure like that. Even a calf tear is extremely unlikely that high up, unless there's been a trauma, and it would hurt a lot.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    running doesn't cause bruises unless you ran into something or fell over

if it explainable bruises keep happening, see your doctor.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I've been running for decades and I've never gotten a bruise like that from running except for the time I tripped and fell and bumped my knee on a rock. Are you sure you didn't bruise it doing something else? I'm no expert, though. I don't really know if other runners get bruises like this...But anyway, a bruise wouldn't stop me from running unless it was causing a lot of pain and was associated with a greater injury - like a sprain. You say it's not causing pain, so I'm guessing it's OK. :)

Same here, I've been running 5 days a week for the last 10 years and have never seen or had anything like that. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any bigger. I don't think that would be from running.