cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I go on the treadmill I either have music on or I have the tv on
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    remmus102 wrote: »
    Hello, I’m a beginner runner and I run about 3 times a week with bad runs being about 2 miles long at a 8:30 per mile pace to about 4.6 miles at a 9:30 per mile pace. I’ve noticed that one of the reasons I don’t run very far is boredom. Any tips?

No need for any answers other than the above. That said, why do you need to run longer? What are you goals? 10-15 miles per week is more than adequate for somebody who just wants to run for fitness.

^^ I have the same questions. If you're a new runner going at the paces listed, that's a pretty solid start. Are you running outside or indoors now? Are you hoping to run longer distances to build endurance? Perhaps you'd like to enter a race? Is boredom the only reason you don't run longer?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Many great suggestion here. I just add that podcasts and audiobooks are good because they don't interfere with your cadence. I'd like to try rock my run sometime.

Tonight, I ran for an hour in a dark park with my headlamp listening to the last furtive mating calls of the insects. Fantastic!
  • remmus102
    remmus102 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im running outdoors and I’m hoping to build my endurance and distance. I’m planning on doing my first 5k later this month. Thanks for the tips!:)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    remmus102 wrote: »
    Im running outdoors and I’m hoping to build my endurance and distance. I’m planning on doing my first 5k later this month. Thanks for the tips!:)

Sounds like you're on track to run a 5k. You've received lots of good tips here.

Like others have said, running with a friend or small group at an easy pace is a great way to build endurance. You may find that your weekly long run becomes an enjoyable social activity as much as a training session.

Good luck in your race!
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Checkout Zombies Run!
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fourth vote for Zombies, Run! I listen to audio books and that app/game while running. They are right in the middle of a virtual race right now too! (well two of the training runs have come out at least).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I get so bored running outside. Listening to podcasts has been a game-changer for me. I normally run inside on the treadmill because I can watch Netflix on my Kindle or some watch the TV. I never ran outside because of boredom, but I bought an exercise fanny pack kind of thing I can put my iPhone in. I listen to podcasts now and I'll run twice as far as before because I'm so engaged in my podcasts.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing... if i found running boring I just wouldn't do it... life's too short, do something you love!

Indeed. When people hear I’ve started running, I often get comments like “ugh, you must be so motivated, running is such a drag.” This baffles me, because there really are so many fitness options out there besides running. And if you have access to the internet and some sort of screen, many of them are free!

I’m afraid I don’t have any advice for the OP - I run with my two terriers, and making sure that I don’t trip over them and they don’t run into the street keeps me on my toes plenty! I’d love to work up to an eight minute mile, but I’m taking it slow. And I need new shoes, speaking of ugh.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    When I trail run, I enjoy just being in nature...watching for spider webs and snakes is a necessary pastime, too! When I road run I tend to get lost in my head, unless I have my dog and teaching him to pace/not chase squirrels requires my full attention. At the gym track, I people watch as the track is the third floor and open to the gym floor below it. I just won't run on a treadmill....life is too short to be a bored hamster on a wheel!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have to switch it up with good tunes and different locations. I also practice fartlek drills on my runs which gives your head something to do. I do two identical runs each week, so I always try and beat my first time, which gets me pushing harder.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Six years ago, I completed a 5K training plan similar to C25K. I was worried that without the plan structure, I'd lose motivation and stop running regularly. So I set myself a goal to run at least 20 minutes, at least 3 days a week. Why 20 minutes? Because I didn't think I could guarantee time for 30 minutes on a lunch hour, given the gear-up and wind-down required. Why 3 days a week? Because that's what the 5K plan called for.

Fast forward 6 years. I've had a lot of weeks where I didn't run 3 days. Every last one of them was due to injury. None were due to motivation. I fell in love with running, and boredom has never been a problem for me. So I don't really have any useful advice on how to deal with boredom if it is a problem for *you*.

The best I can do is say, maybe running isn't your thing. Maybe you need to do running to support something else you love doing - soccer, lacrosse, whatever. (Team sports aren't my thing, but I've talked to people who only ran to stay in shape for their sport of choice.) Turns out that I hate core work; but I do it, because it supports running and I love running.

So . . . either run because you love to run; or run because it supports your fitness for something else you love to do; or give it up and find some other form of exercise that you *do* love. Life is too short to spend 20 hours a week enduring boredom in the name of fitness.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Saying that you need motivation to run because you will be running a 5K is answering the question with the same question. Why do you want to run a 5K if you don't like to run?

To be honest, while we all have our podcasts, or running groups, or other methods of 'distracting' ourselves during our runs, I can guarantee that most serious runners would run regardless. We get joy from the simple act of running; from the relaxation and ability to escape other stresses, from the time we get to spend outside, from the fitness it provides elsewhere in our lives, from the thrill of setting a personal best, and from the pure fun in the way it feels to use your body the way it was meant to be used.

You've gotten some great advice here already but running simply isn't for everybody. If it doesn't do it for you then absolutely try to find an activity that does. There's no need to force yourself to do anything.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I found that when I first started running, it was the same. I needed something to distract me. I always had music going. It took time for me to love running, and a change in how I approach it. Now, I do it and it's my ME time, time to contemplate, and time to just enjoy being outside and enjoy some scenery. I don't even bother listening to music while running anymore. It isn't always easy to slog myself out of the door, especially when it's dark or the weather isn't great, but I always feel better afterwards.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love to run. But I didn't always. I used to have to force myself out the house. Eventually I fell in love with the space the quiet the me time the sunshine the fresh air. I listen to music most of the time. But occasionally run without as most races don't allow music. I set myself goals and aims. But ultimately I run because I love to run. My OH dislikes running so he does other stuff. Keep at it but ultimately if you don't fall in love with it try something else. Life is to short to do stuff you don't like.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find preparation for a race I've registered in is good motivation.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I found that when I first started running, it was the same. I needed something to distract me. I always had music going. It took time for me to love running, and a change in how I approach it. Now, I do it and it's my ME time, time to contemplate, and time to just enjoy being outside and enjoy some scenery. I don't even bother listening to music while running anymore. It isn't always easy to slog myself out of the door, especially when it's dark or the weather isn't great, but I always feel better afterwards.

Agree with this. Sometimes it isn't love at 'first try'. ;)
    Took me a while to love running. When I first started, it was simply because I wanted to say I could do it. Then I began to love it and now it is never boring for me. I listen to podcasts but also vary my run every time: different neighbourhoods, different trails, etc.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    jpena412 wrote: »
    I have fun with the zombie run app. It's a (free) interactive podcast where you play a character in the story, running to get supplies, ect. Occasionally zombies get close and you've got to outrun them. In between the narrative your music will come on.

Thanks for this suggestion! I totally struggle with boredom while running, this app sounds like so much fun. Downloading it now to try this evening!

So many people beat me to this! I love it. Getting the subscription (about $6/month US) will unlock all the episodes, rather than one a week.
  • AnnieLewandowski302
    Options
    I'd go for mixing up your routes and pace. Also, I use audiobooks and my favorite rock playlist. I got so bored once in my marathon training run, I started practicing my krav maga punches while running (I'm sure I looked a little looney, lol). Just keep mixing things up.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I use Apple Music and have a couple playlists for my iPod, depending on my pace and distance for that day. I like the upbeat tempo and mindlessness of the music.... The runs are often over before I get bored....