Best way to fill in the protein void

Options
I'm looking for the best foods to fill my protein void. (no supplements please, real food)

Replies

• activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Meat, cottage cheese, protein bars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a fish, poultry, and meat guy myself...

Also, Greek yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, etc...all pretty good sources of protein.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Greek yogurt are my go-tos.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How big is that void - and why? Getting enough protein is usually quite easy, so I need to ask. Do you have any aversions or allergies?
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt! i think 1 cup of mine has like 130 calories, and 23 grams of protein! i eat it daily, and i am always over my limit.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com/content/8-high-protein-vegetables.html

Yeeeeeeeeeees you read right, veggies and protein. OMG this can't be true. Good luck :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Increase the serving size of your meat. Canned tuna, avocado and hard boiled eggs is a good high protein snack or meal. Throw in a bit of Greek yogurt and hot sauce.

My lunch today is half of a cobb salad (which is a protein bomb) with Greek yogurt as the dressing and a cup of curried lentil soup. 500 calories and 50g of protein.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Like greek yogurt, skyr is really good. Plain skyr is about 75% protein, 25% carbs where I am. Flavoured stuff is a little less protein-rich and has some sugar. I eat about a serving of skyr per day.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Jerky.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils (high protein low fat and high fibre for a triple win), tofu, tempeh, seitan, greek yogurt.
    I have some high protein bread, 9 grams per slice. Makes any sandwich a high protein meal.
    Egg white omelettes (one full egg and three egg whites)
    Lean meat. I used to love chicken breast before I quit the meat.
    Chickpeas, Edamame (20 grams per serving, I put it in a salad with some nice dressing. If you served some chicken breast on the side of that salad you'd have a really high protein meal)
    Pumpkin seeds (15 grams per 1/3 cup)

I don't supplement protein. It makes me feel gross.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs, edamame and lentil pasta are my go-tos!
  • tenorgirl2012
    tenorgirl2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Meat, cottage cheese, protein bars.

Gotta be careful with protein bars. Lots of extra carbs and sometimes sugars
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What are you eating instead of protein? I can't imagine eating a meal without meat in it, unless you are vegetarian. If you are, tofu, tempeh and seitan are all plant based protein sources.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't want protein supplements? You could easily add them into other dishes like pancake/waffle batter. As for real food, beef/tuna/chicken/pork/salmon/etc.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Love cottage cheese or a boiled egg. I do like a protein bar like Quest or Pure Protein if you have room for the calories. They do seem to keep me extra full, esp if there is a flavor you really like.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    From my research, SHRIMP has the best protein to fat and protein to calories ratio of any meat.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ agreed! Shrimp are great!

Also, given their size, they are super easy to use a specific number depending on how much protein you need. I am obsessed with hitting my macros so its easy to add or remove a certain number to hit the mark.

One caveat, if you have issues with cholesterol, they are probably not the best choice.