Huge Soup craving...need recipes!

Options
andreae13
andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
I know I'm crazy for wanting soup in the middle of summer but for some reason that's all I can think about these last few days. I've always bought canned before but I really want to make my own this time. What are some of your favorite soup recipes? It would be fantastic if you could put the nutritional info as well :bigsmile:

Replies

• LisaT9101
    Options
    You aren't the only one eating soup this summer. I totally ripped off Panera's Lemon Chicken & Orzo soup this weekend. Here is the recipe:

Chicken broth (about 6 cups)
    Shredded chicken (2 cups)
    Carrot shreds (1 cup)
    Onion (1 small)
    Chopped Spinach (4 cups - fresh)
    6 Lemon Slices
    1/2 cup uncooked orzo
    oregano
    dried mint
    black pepper

Combine everything but lemon and orzo in stock pot and simmer. Add orzo and cook till tender. Add lemon slices and simmer. Delish and less than 200 calories per serving!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You aren't the only one eating soup this summer. I totally ripped off Panera's Lemon Chicken & Orzo soup this weekend. Here is the recipe:

Chicken broth (about 6 cups)
    Shredded chicken (2 cups)
    Carrot shreds (1 cup)
    Onion (1 small)
    Chopped Spinach (4 cups - fresh)
    6 Lemon Slices
    1/2 cup uncooked orzo
    oregano
    dried mint
    black pepper

Combine everything but lemon and orzo in stock pot and simmer. Add orzo and cook till tender. Add lemon slices and simmer. Delish and less than 200 calories per serving!

YUM!!! I am sooooo trying this recipe!! Thanks!!
  • Nessi37
    Nessi37 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
    1 small can white beans drained
    4 cups of prepared fresh spinach
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes chopped to desired size
    1 lbs of low fat turkey kielbasa sliced thin and them browned
    1/2 cup of dried tortellini
    2 cloves or garlic minced

Heat the chicken broth until boiling, reduce the temperature to meduim. Add the tortellini, white beans, garlic and tomatoes. Simmer until the tortellini is is tender, then add the kielbasa and spinach. Cook an additional 2 or 3 minutes or until the spinach reaches the desired doneness.

Yummy! :love:
  • VolatileChocolate
    Options
    Cauliflower & Chive Soup - its yummy (making it myself tonight) It serves four and 144 cals per serving

Cauliflower - Raw, 1 head, medium (5-6" dia)
    Potatoes - Boiled, cooked without skin, flesh, without salt, 1 medium (2-1/4" to 3-1/4" dia.)
    Flora Pro-Activ - Buttery Taste, 25 g
    Onions - Raw, 1 medium (2-1/2" dia)
    Oxo - Vegetable Stock Cube, 5.92 g
    Chives - Raw, 1 tbsp chopped
    Total 0% - Fat Free Greek Yoghurt, 170 g
  • VolatileChocolate
    Options
    Cauliflower & Chive Soup - its yummy (making it myself tonight) It serves four and 144 cals per serving

Cauliflower - Raw, 1 head, medium (5-6" dia)
    Potatoes - Boiled, cooked without skin, flesh, without salt, 1 medium (2-1/4" to 3-1/4" dia.)
    Flora Pro-Activ - Buttery Taste, 25 g
    Onions - Raw, 1 medium (2-1/2" dia)
    Oxo - Vegetable Stock Cube, 5.92 g
    Chives - Raw, 1 tbsp chopped
    Total 0% - Fat Free Greek Yoghurt, 170 g

Just make up 3/4 pint of stock with stock cube. Sweat onions in the butter then add potatoes for 2-3 mins. Add stock and Cauliflower and cook for 15-20 mins, blend, return to pan add greek yoghurt and chives and serve.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    We love this soup, it's quick and easy and you can keep ingredients on hand for when you get a craving for it. :)

ENCHILADA SOUP

2TBS. Vegetable Oil(or I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
    1/2C. Chopped Onion
    1/2C. Chopped Green Pepper
    1TBS. Minced Garlic
    1)14oz. Can of Vegetable Broth
    2)14oz. Cans Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
    1) 4.5oz Can Diced Green Chiles(I use 2 cans)
    1) 14oz. Can Diced Mexican Style Tomatoes
    2) 2.25oz Cans Sliced Black Olives
    1) 15oz. Can Black Beans(Undrained)
    2C. Canned White Hominy(Drained)
    2TBS. Taco Seasoning Mix

Sautee Onion, Green Pepper and Garlic for 2-3 Minutes or until onions are transparent
    Pour in all ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat to low/medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Garnish with Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese and Sour Cream.

Enjoy!
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here's 2 more LOL!!!

TERRIFIC TACO SOUP

1 pound of ground beef
    1 small onion, minced
    1 small can green chiles, chopped
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can Rotel (Mexican tomatoes)
    1 can ranch style beans or chili beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 ½ cups water
    1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Brown beef, onion and chiles. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Great with cornbread or with tortilla chips and grated cheddar cheese.

Black Bean Soup
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: about 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 234.4 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 13.6 g • Carb: 40.1 g • Fiber: 19.6 g

For the beans:
    • 1 lb dry black beans
    • 1 small bell red pepper
    • 1 small onion, quartered
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 3 bay leaves

For the soup:
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 large onion, minced
    • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
    • 1 red pepper, minced
    • 2 medium carrots, shredded
    • 5 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    • 1/4 (2 oz) cup white wine
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • 1 chicken bullion (vegans use vegetable bullion)
    • salt and black pepper

Rinse beans and place in a large pot with about 8 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let the beans sit, covered for one hour. (Or you can let them soak overnight in cold water)

Drain the water, then add 8-10 cups of cold water when ready to cook.

Add bell pepper, garlic, onion and bay leaves to the beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about an hour, or until tender, stirring occasionally. (Add water if necessary)

Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat oil on low. Add chopped vegetables (onion, parsley, carrots, pepper, garlic) season with salt and pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until soft.

Add the vegetables to the soup, then add wine, vinegar, cumin, oregano, bullion, salt and pepper and adjust water if too needed. Cover and simmer on low about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves, then using an immersion blender, partially blend the soup for about 10 seconds to thicken. If you don't have an immersion blender, put about 3 cups of the soup in a blender, then add it back to the pot. Adjust salt, pepper and cumin to taste and ladle about 1 1/2 cups into each bowl. Top with sour cream (extra points), chopped onions, scallions, chives or/or cilantro and enjoy!
  • dids01
    dids01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    carrot and coriander soup
    1lb (450g) carrots
    1 onion
    2pts vegetable stock
    1tsp ground coriander
    chopped coriander(cilantro)

to make it quicker I grate the carrot rather than slice it into a large pan, dice the onion. add the veg stock and the ground coriander and cook for about 30 minutes. blitz with a hand blender or in a food processor and finally add the chopped coriander.

serves 4
    64 calories a serving

enjoy
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Italian Vegetable Soup

Soup is a great way to boost your intake of fluid and antioxidants in one fell swoop--especially if it's low in sodium and loaded with vegetables, as this one is.

TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
    SERVINGS: 12

2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 med onions, finely chopped (about 1 c)
    2 med carrots, finely chopped (about 1 c)
    1 rib celery, thinly sliced (about 1/2 c)
    6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
    3 med tomatoes (about 1 lb), finely chopped, or 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
    2 cartons (32 oz each) fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
    1/2 sm head cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 c)
    1 c bulgur (I use barley, about 1/2 cup)
    1 can (16 oz) no-salt-added white beans, such as cannellini or great Northern, rinsed and drained
    1 can (16 oz) no-salt-added red or black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 minute or until golden. Do not brown.

2. Add tomatoes, broth, oregano, basil, and thyme and bring to a boil. Add cabbage and bulgur and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 20 to 30 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Stir in beans and simmer 5 minutes longer. Season with parsley.

Nutritional info per serving 142 cal, 6 g pro, 23 g carb, 6 g fiber, 3.5 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 0 mg chol, 362 mg sodium

Oregano, used to flavor this soup, contains up to 20 times more antioxidant power than other herbs, according to recent studies.

Its a different twist on our homemade vegtable soup, its easy to make and my family loves it!
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    Spicy buttternut squash soup. (This was a zero points recipie I used when following weight watchers, worked out roughly 140 calories a serving)

1 whole buternut squash
    6 large tomatoes
    1 stick of celery
    1 red or yellow pepper
    1 red chilli (remove seeds, add more if you like)
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic (or more if you prefer)

CUT ALL INGREDIENTS INTO CHUNKS AND PLACE IN A LARGE NON-STICK ROASTING DISH. SPRINKLE WITH SALT AND PEPPER AND ROAST FOR 45 MINS. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND PLACE INTO A SAUCEPAN- ADD 1 PINT OF WATER. BLEND (I USE A HAND BLENDER AT THIS POINT) tHIS CAN BE BLENDED UNTIL SMOOTH OR LEFT CHUNKY. ADD WATER ACCORDING TO PREFERENCE.

this recipe provides roughly 6 servings. I have purchased some freezable soup bags and have frozen the soup until I have a soup craving! For added convenience the soup bags are not just freezable, but microwavable too.

Its yummy!!
  • Catnyc123
    Catnyc123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump!