To "Diet" or not to "Diet"....that is the question????

I've been attempting to remain on my "healthy eating plan".... I don't know why, but I seem to psych myself out if I start trying to "Diet"..the dreaded "D" word! I'm trying to tell myself everyday that I need to "Eat to Live....not Live to Eat". I've been doing well- down about 10 pounds in 2-3 weeks. I know initially it appears that you lose more weight because you are dropping water weight. Anyway, it's a busy summer- lots of parties, etc. How do you deal with the cake and ice cream and parties, etc? Part of me thinks.....eat it- just eat a lot less of it. It's not realistic to always turn down foods. It's a reality that I am never going to be a so called- naturally thin person. I'm going to battle this for the rest of my life, and not ever eating cake, ice cream, celebratory foods/ holidays, etc is not realistic for me. On the other hand, how do I discipline myself if I allow myself to give in to every whim? I need some motivation- advice- help! I really want to be successful this time. I know- I say that every time I do this.....but this is it. Ugh- I want to plan a trip to Disney for my family in the next 2 years, and i want to be thinner so I can be healthy and have the energy to enjoy it! HELP!

Replies

• Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Hello I don't diet, but I also don't eat a lot of sweets, I'm not a love sweets kind of person, unless I stop by Coldstone Creamery(Icecream!) then it's all over! but I work out a lot, so that helps a lot.....you just need to make smarter choices, for example if you get invited to a cookout, don't put Mayo in your burger, and only eat one burger, enjoy yourself....but always know that you will get in some kind of exercise that day or the next....I see just keep exercising, and making smarter choices food wise :) good luck to ya! You can do this!
  • AmandaLPBurns
    AmandaLPBurns Posts: 4 Member
    I totally understand this....It is supposed to be a lifestyle change but is is realistic to think in your life you will never eat cake? NO! But in the beginning when the short term goal is to lose weight (leading to the longterm goal of a healthy life), it is better to avoid those foods because when I start I have a hard time stopping.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    In the cake/ice cream "birthday" situations, I can't not eat anything (feels like I'm being the party pooper or something). So - I'll have cake OR ice cream (usually cake), and make it a very small amount. BTW - if you get the cake, the center pieces have less frosting. Usually works out to be about 200 calories worth, which I can easily shuffle the rest of my day around (or exercise more) to accommodate.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I am not on a diet. Heck no if i started with that mind set i would of quit day 3.
  • jwallace84
    jwallace84 Posts: 44 Member
    This is the same problem I was having. However, I think about it this way....Once I reach my goal, the cake, ice cream, cookies, brownies will ALL be there for me and then I can enjoy them. Its not like they are going to disappear so I just think about it that way then I can wait. Gives me something to look forward to.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    I found that early on, the first 6 or 8 weeks I HAD to avoid those things because I wasn't far enough into a new habit of healthy eating. Now after a year I can have a SMALL slice of cake or ONE scoop of ice cream, not feel bad, know the correct portion size and log it correctly. But that's after a year's worth of work.

I find that 99% of the time I don't even WANT the sweets and chips now, I'd rather choose the carrots and fresh fruit. My new lifestyle annoys some people because I don't want those bad things in it but that's their problem not mine. If my friends would be mad because I didn't have cake, or a drink etc then they aren't really my friends anyhow. No one has acted that way :D
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Maybe what you should be doing is limiting the amount of times per week/month that you can eat those "celebratory foods". I know for me, sometimes I look at it like a mini challenge to NOT eat those things. Just last week I was at a birthday party for a 1yr old... They had cake (chocolate with raspberry filling)... I had a piece. I shouldn't have. It was ok, but not worth the cals I spent on it. I got home thinking "man that wasnt worth it at all!" I wish I had saved those 300 cals for something better ya know? Maybe you can try getting some healthier "goodies" at the store.. that way, you can once or twice a week.. enjoy something on your own time.. Maybe then you won't feel so compelled to eat the "celebratory foods" when they are presented. Also, there is nothing wrong with just having a sliver of cake or pizza, etc.. Get the taste of it and not all the calories.. OR you can do what my sister did with a Mcdonalds burger.... chewed it up, enjoyed it... spit it into her napkin. LMAO :D Anyway, Im sorry that Im not more help. Goodluck!
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    I was just like you. I thought I had to eat only healthy foods. Salad, fruits, veggies, etc, but what I found is that if I did that I would eventually crack and eat a whole pizza, bad of chips, cookies and whatever else I could find. It was a bad cycle that didn't work and didn't take the weight off.

Now I eat anything I want. Cake, cookies, pizza, chips, whatever. The difference is I make sure I don't go over my calories for that day. I plan all my meals in the morning for the whole day to make sure I do not go over my calorie allowance. After a while I found that when I saw how many calories were in certain foods, I would decide I didn't want to eat it and then figure out an alternative. Also, I earn what I eat with exercising. If I know I'm going out for dinner I will make sure I get a good workout in before going to dinner. Earn your treats, don't treat yourself and then work it off.

One other thing. I give myself an "Eat Anything I Want Within Reason" day. Every Monday I weigh-in in the morning, then for the rest of the day I eat whatever I have been craving over the last week. Subway, pizza, McDonalds, etc. This does 2 things. One it kick starts my metabolism for the week and two it stops me from bingeing that week. I satisfy my cravings on Monday and it keeps me in check the rest of the week. 69 lbs down doing exactly this. Hopefully this helps you.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Like you I HATE the word diet, I think if you start with that mindset then you are probably heading for failure or at least I know I am, l know that now I have started this I am probably going to be on it indefinatley as I fear if I come off I would lose all focus.
    I like to think of everything in moderation and nothing is off limits, if I want crisps for example I would choose a healthier option (snack a jacks or something similar) if I want chocolate I will have it but I know that if I were to eat dark chocolate I feel like I have had my chocolate fix and are satisfied but if I were to eat sweet milk chocolate....well I never get sick of that! If I am on a girly meal and wine night I try and choose a little healthier option and add additional exercise to cover wine etc, what I am trying to say is that if we are on this as a long term solution then we are going to encounter situations and have food cravings. I think you just have to be realistic meet your 1200 calorie intake in a day if you are over get excersising to gain back the calories you have eaten and deny yourself nothing (in moderation) everyone deserves a treat now and then but a treat is exactly as the name suggests :wink: good luck.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I like to find a way to incorporate the things I love (pizza, ice cream, etc) into my normal weekly foods, so that I don't feel deprived and become a human vacuum cleaner when the opportunity arises at parties. I burn a ton of calories to make things fit, and keep goodies portion controlled. For instance, I buy ice cream sandwiches (not diet ones, either, because the cheapskate in me can't pay twice the price for a few less calories) that are around 160 calories. I can have one sandwich and feel happy about that, whereas if I portioned out a half cup of ice cream, that would look tiny and pathetic in a bowl. I made half the recipe of this cheesecake - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279866-low-carb-high-protein-zero-sugar-cheesecake - as about 20 cupcakes, and have been having two at a time for a snack or even for breakfast. It's mentally easier for me than slicing off the correct portion size from a whole pie.

It's the mental part, I think, that's the hardest part of all of it. But if nothing is ever off limits, then you can't fail by eating something "not on your diet." It takes 3500 calories to put on a pound, and that's 3500 over your MAINTENANCE calories, not your calorie limit on here. So even if you have a total pig out day, you probably didn't do enough to gain a pound, especially if you factor in that you ate at a deficit the rest of the week. At worst, you took a detour that might mean it'll take you a few days longer to reach your goal. But if you beat yourself up and think, "Oh, I blew it. I might as well keep eating..." that's what's really going to set it back. The mental part.
  • LissaP26
    LissaP26 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's comforting to see that I'm not in this alone. I have to stop the self-hating and just deal with food. it's a good way to look at things to know that even one small detour isn't going to have to blow my entire week's worth of hard work! I can't slip into the "I already blew it so what the hell" attitude!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    We are all on a "diet" - because all that means is the food one usually consumes. It has been coopted by industry to the point that people think of the word as deprivation and weight loss. Try and change your mindset - "what is my diet?" "MY diet consists of eating healthy foods such as . . . , making healthy choices whenever I can, and allowing myself . . . on occasion because I know it fits into my overall focus on a healthy body AND mind." I don't know if that helps, but I think mindset is very important. I hate that industry has changed this word, and only in the past 50 years or so. There's nothing wrong with indulgences, within reason and with moderation.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    To "Diet" or not to "Diet"....that is the question????

That is not the question. Diet as used in popular western culture is a dirty word.

What I eat is my diet. What you eat is your diet. What we should strive for is a healthy diet.