Vegan, looking for exercise and food ideas

Options
Been vegan for almost 1 year.. I haven't been the best vegan, some days I'm vegetarian. I'm still trying to find my way living this lifestyle. But the motivation for working out is just now kicking in. At first weight came off fast, but now its at a standstill.. Need some motivation!

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories if you're trying to lose weight and are unable to do so with your current caloric intake.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I Ike the Eat to Live philosophy of getting the most nutrition per calorie. It’s a large volume low cal plant based/ vegan diet. I will use a little shredded cheese sometimes, and I pretty much eat how I want (within reason) if I eat out, or I’m at a friend’s house. I’ll go ahead and have a burger, if someone made it for me. I just don’t bring that stuff home.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegans lose weight the same way non-vegans do -- through a calorie deficit. If you aren't already logging your food and focusing on consistently hitting your calorie goal, this would be a good time to start.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I eat mostly plant-based, but like any dietary habit it's just as easy to put on weight as any other dietary habit. I find that if I overdo it with the nuts/nut butters/seed butters/fatty foods, and underdo it with fiber and protein from whole grains/legumes/other sources, I have a harder time sticking to my calorie goals and am hungry more often. The reverse might be true for you. The important thing is to log accurately and find eating patterns that enable you to better stick to your goals. Veganism itself does not = fat loss, and actually fat shaming in the vegan community is a pretty big problem. Look up Edyn Jacks, "The Fat Vegan", on youtube; she's awesome, and I recommend her to anyone who thinks veganism has to be a monolithic thinness-obsessed community. She also has some good recipes on there. That being said there are also many vegans on youtube who talk about what they eat for weight loss; be mindful of the woo woo but there are some good resources. I like Pick Up Limes, Cheap Lazy Vegan, Sarah's Vegan Kitchen, Viet Vegan, More Salt Please... chock full of recipe ideas and even some fitness ideas. SoTrueQ has decent videos but they're more applicable to men.

As for exercise: whatever you enjoy! But also many/most weight loss resources recommend incorporating some kind of resistance training into your regimen for the sake of maintaining/building lean body mass, for women as well as for men; it keeps your BMR a bit higher and is good for longterm health; and it can help mentally and physically when your weight loss plateaus.

• LoveJones312
    LoveJones312 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for this. When I first started this vegan lifestyle it was very hard to workout as I found myself very tired with headaches and I assumed my body was getting used to a new lifestyle and cleansing . I feel amazing now, I can do this with no thought, but what happened is while I was having headaches I found it hard to workout and I became sedentary.. Now I have motivation to workout again I want to keep it lol. I love being this way now that I've gotten over a few humps. I will look into your suggestion @timtam163 thank you.
  • LoveJones312
    LoveJones312 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks again