Running when.. or...

Options
Hi guys! Need your advice here.
Been a year of being practically bedridden, binge eating, severe depression.
I am slowly getting back on track, but of course, the physical health took a toll.
I am only 25lb over, but my muscles have lost almost all strength, need major toning too and of course, cardio is way down. And being this inactive for so long, an old knee injury from my skating days came full force... but is now better that I am up and walking.
Now. Financially, gyms and such are a no-no at the moment, and I hate running, but it seems like my only option... beside sit-ups/push-ups and such strength exercises at home.
But if I try running, how to get motivated? How to start with my condition... ugh... discouraged.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Try some videos on YouTube, there are a lot of options besides running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. When you can do 45 minutes at a good pace, start C25K.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different forms of cardio. Running isn't the only one. I agree with starting with walking and see how your knee does. You may need to try yoga or swimming or something else depending on your knee injury.

Body weight exercises are great and there's a large variety to do. Look them up online and just start with whatever you can.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Try things like YouTube for videos, pinterest for at home workouts, and if you can swing $9.99/month, check out Aaptiv. It has a ton of workout stuff on there for all different levels and is like having a personal trainer in your ear. The first month is free if you decide you want to check it out. I've really loved it!
  • AnnieLewandowski302
    AnnieLewandowski302 Posts: 17 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I really like using Youtube to mix up my workouts. My favorite is Blogilates. She's super encouraging and has tons of videos for variety. She's got some unique strength training exercises as well as HIIT and they're all free! I definitely find my heart rate up during her HIIT videos. Good luck!
  • Louve350
    Louve350 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    In fact my lost of strength and muscle tone is more of a problem than my knee injury, can walk hours now, but the knee will be a bit stiff afterwards.
    Also it just seems that everywhere I look, the workouts is not for my muscle situation, plus, with my very immature neighbour downstairs, anything too noisy is out of the question, so the great outdoors it is.
    I know I want to get back on my skates (Minus jumps and spins hehehe) but yeah, I should check pool time in my municipalities, didn't think about that!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    There's lots of aerobic exercise you can do that's not running and is low impact. YouTube is full of workouts, just watch a bunch till you find one that looks fun to you. I also suggest walking as some above have.
  • greedoguy
    greedoguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started back conditioning in March of this year. The guy I was training with put together a "playground" workout where we literally went to a kids playground and did 5 exercises (push ups (our feet in the swings), pull ups (on the monkey bars), dips (between the slide rails), step ups (onto the jungle gym) and planks) on the playground equipment. We'd then run a lap around the parking lot and do bear crawls or swing a sledge hammer, battle ropes, etc., another lap and back to the playground. It was the most fun circuit training I have ever done.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Running is totally possible. Just start slow. I've learned to LOVE it and lost about 60 lbs doing it. It's also a fantastic stress reliever.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your troubles but it's great that you want to get back on track. Honestly, running sounds like the worst possible thing for you to do right now---you hate it, you're out of shape, and overweight. Just start with walking, it will be one of the best things to build up your stamina. You can gain a lot of ground with body weight exercises at home. There's a program called You Are Your Own Gym and also Nerd Fitness that are often recommended on here. You can buy a resistance band very inexpensively that will add some variety to what you do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why not start with just walking?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your troubles but it's great that you want to get back on track. Honestly, running sounds like the worst possible thing for you to do right now---you hate it, you're out of shape, and overweight. Just start with walking, it will be one of the best things to build up your stamina. You can gain a lot of ground with body weight exercises at home. There's a program called You Are Your Own Gym and also Nerd Fitness that are often recommended on here. You can buy a resistance band very inexpensively that will add some variety to what you do.

^ Truth

I ran my first 5K with ZERO running leading up to it. I had been power walking and power hiking for 2 solids months before the 5K run/walk. I was planning on walking it but my BIL talked me into running it. He made me go slow and damned if I didn't finish that thing! That day my running addiction began.

Now I was sore as hell for a week, and my time was obviously pretty slow (39+ minutes) but if not for all that walking, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    There are lots of free videos on youtube to get you some cardio and strength training. Fitnessblender.com is a great place, and you can look for low impact cardio and body weight strength to start with, all completely free. Good luck!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Jessica Smith on YouTube has masses of really good workouts and some of them are as short as five minutes long which is a great way to start!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    PiYo is a great indoor workout for strength, cardio, and flexibility, without making much noise on your floor (mostly low to no impact). Jessica Smith, exerciseTV, Leslie Sansone, and Denise Austin also have good indoor walking videos.
  • Louve350
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why not start with just walking?

Coz I am impatient and tend to over do it lol
  • Louve350
    Options
    bTW, thanks for all these answers guys! Gonna look into it, and I am fabricating a good plan now!