Chafing!! Advice needed!!

Options
I am the biggest crotch sweater when I work out, it honestly looks like I’ve wet myself after every work out! It causes painful, painful sores on my inner thighs. I’ve really only tried using deodorant and Vaseline before a workout and neither have worked.
Any products you recommend that work well?
Thanks for the help

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    What are you wearing when you work out?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like a change in workout gear might be needed?
  • JenniferDianne123
    JenniferDianne123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that, I wear different kinds each time, some fabletic pants, some have wicking material. It seems I sweat no matter what I’m wearing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    For indoor workouts, I usually go with tight cycling-style shorts (but without the padding that's in cycling shorts) and a long, loose wicking T-shirt. I find that combo relatively cool, and the tightness of the shorts prevents friction.

(The shorts are tight, but not so tight they cut off circulation or anything)
  • JenniferDianne123
    Options
    I will try that! Thank you!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I also second getting a great pair or capris/shorts/pants made from moisture-wicking material and be sure when you are done working out to change right after and clean/dry up. Letting the sweat linger can cause issues.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    compression shorts for the win.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    For indoor workouts, I usually go with tight cycling-style shorts (but without the padding that's in cycling shorts) and a long, loose wicking T-shirt. I find that combo relatively cool, and the tightness of the shorts prevents friction.

(The shorts are tight, but not so tight they cut off circulation or anything)

ditto. and in the lowest friction outer material as possible. with a smooth/wicking-type material pair of panties when running (to protect from the shorts seams) - turned inside out because (1) they still insist on putting in one of those stupid cotton gussets and (2) seams). Also ditch anything with cotton or seams in inconvenient places.

I usually wear the Baleaf brand shorts (cheap and on amazon) and Target's Gilligan & O'Malley Seamless Bonded Bikini or hipster panties (but worn inside out)(also cheap).
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I sweat a river down there and chafe like no other in skirts. I literally just wear yoga pants (knee or longer) and I'm fine. Can't wear looser clothes because they bunch up and chafe.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    wicking fabrics and liberal use of an anti-chaffing product such as Vaniply or Trail Toes (can be used for all body parts). Some use Body Glide but that doesn't work well for me.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I also second getting a great pair or capris/shorts/pants made from moisture-wicking material and be sure when you are done working out to change right after and clean/dry up. Letting the sweat linger can cause issues.

I totally agree with this! For me it is either capris that are moisture wicking or longer shorts that are the same. I cant do the high shorts or skirts either. I am just like you as far as feeling like I peed my pants after a workout. The shower afterwards is a must. Also, if I'm going to go on a long run I will add some body glide (I get it at my local running store--looks like deodorant) and do several swipes before I put my running shorts/pants on. That helps big time with the chaffing. After the shower, some gold bond works to be sure that it is dry and smooth for later.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    PSA- do not even think about wearing any color other than black leggings (or prints) if you sweat a lot in the groin area, ladies... I witnessed a few embarrassing situations recently, so now I ONLY wear my grey leggings or prints for gentle yoga, leisurely hikes, or around the house, NOT for serious workouts wear I will actually sweat. These ladies had NO idea how bad it was, and I felt bad for them :disappointed:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering if your underwear might be a factor. That ends up being two layers down there, and can be a factor in...humidity. Have you tried different types of fabric? What happens if you "go commando?"
  • AnnieLewandowski302
    Options
    I use Body Glide. I'm training for a marathon and definitely feel you on the chaffing. So far it's worked for me! I'd have raw spots where my water backpack rubbed on my neck, but when I use Body Glide before, I have no issues. Good luck!
  • JenniferDianne123
    Options
    That sounds great! Where do you find the body glide brand?
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Most running shoe stores carry Body Glide. Great stuff!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    SPEAKING OF UNDERWEAR.

I just read an interview with a gyno and she said it's actually BEST for your hoo-hoo to not wear any with the spandexey materials that yoga pants are made out of.

On the other hand, wear undies with actual pants.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I sweat buckets. :) With that said, I have had good success with Aquaphor and Body Glide during cycling and running.

I use a liberal amount of Aquaphor (or walmart brand) in my cycling or tri shorts (same type shorts as others have described). No underwear between shorts and skin, since that can cause friction and friction=pain. The Aquaphor is like Vaseline in that it keeps moisture out and used under tight fitting shorts, friction is minimized. I would suffer on the bike without it, whether indoor or outside. Aquaphor is also good when running any distance in wet shoes. Helps prevent blisters on toes and balls of your feet.

For running, Body Glide on sensitive areas works fairly well, such as where my HR monitor strap rubs on my chest. BG is not as heavy as Aquaphor, so less messy.
  • coridudek
    coridudek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the biggest crotch sweater when I work out, it honestly looks like I’ve wet myself after every work out! It causes painful, painful sores on my inner thighs. I’ve really only tried using deodorant and Vaseline before a workout and neither have worked.
    Any products you recommend that work well?
    Thanks for the help

Try using Gold Bond friction defense I know a few ppl that use it and swear by it, good luck!
  • JenniferDianne123
    Options
    I’m thinking bodyglide must be an American thing as I couldn’t find any, but I did purchase a couple Gold Bond products and will give those a go! Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate them!