Fibromyalgia and poly-ostarthritis

Options
Hi I'm Nikki and I am 38 and suffer both these conditions. Does anyone else here suffer them and if so. How do u exercise when it's cold in the morning ( only time I have when everyone is asleep) and your extremely stiff and sore? I have tried chair exercises and sometimes I can get in a little bit of a walk thru my house. But always looking for advise from other people who suffer from what I do? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AnnieLewandowski302
    Options
    Hi, my Mom and Aunt both have fibromyalgia. My Aunt prefers walking, but if it's cold I'm not sure that's a great idea. My Mom did yoga a lot for a while with a lot of success. She also has lupus, so she's got a lot of joint pain, but yoga was great for her. Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can exercise but you need to develop a routine that will be a gentle warm up. It takes me about 10 min to feel fully warmed up most days. Pace yourself in your workout for how you're feeling that day. Maybe a warm shower before workout will help you. If the house itself is cold, turn up the heat a few degrees or get a space heater for your workout area.
  • sssynnamon
    sssynnamon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to take a nice warm shower to loosen up and then work out? Heck, put a good non slip pad down in the shower and do a mini workout in there with the warm water flowing on you. You could start with some knee lifts (brace yourself on the wall and gradually increase the height and speed of your knee raises until you're marching; start on a shower chair if you need to). You can work on abs while in a standing position. You can do standing push ups against the shower wall. You can stretch and let the warmth of the water help to loosen you up. Warming up in the shower may get you to the point where you'll be able to do more. I hope this helps!
  • NGeesaman20
    NGeesaman20 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have tried the shower before working out it helps some. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Shower+start walking+ pain stickers + tens machine
    Some days are better then others, I try to do anything even if it’s small
    And shoes are very important
    Add me if you like
  • natyyl85510
    natyyl85510 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I suffer with chronic pain in my joints I use Walking and a mini trampoline to help exercise
  • JayByrd9751
    JayByrd9751 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1999 when it was still largely unknown. I also have arthritis in my back & tendonitis in both shoulders & knees. Over the years I have found that they only thing that relieves the pain is staying active. Cold mornings at the worst. I start walking the instant I get up to get things moving. Idleness is my enemy. I stiffen up and the pain takes over. I purchased a treadmill so when the weather is cold I can stay active. Good luck to you. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Vampire81
    Vampire81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I suffer too, i do the workout called skinny pigs (plz dont take the mickey) but i do it 4 times a wk, i normally get in a hot shower, put warm clothes, take my meds n pain relief, then i walk to workout to stretch my muscles then do my workout walk bk and get in a hot bath, then just try n keep warm for the day