Healthy snack ideas???

Options
Hi I am currently eating around 1200-1500 calories per day. I tend to want chocolate and crisp in the evening after dinner and although I am fitting it within my calorie allowance I would much rather try some healthier options. What are your go to snacks? Please share

Replies

• sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Quarter cup of sunflower seeds (Spitz) in front of tv. They take a while to eat because of shell and they're salty. Helps me not eat crisps which I adore!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My Mom wanted to do the Zero Sugar plan. So I am trying it with her. They suggest 1/2 cup Nature's Path flake cereal + 32 60% Cacao dark chocolate chips for sweet snacks. And 1/2 cup Nature's Path flake cereal + 2 Tbsp. peanuts + chili powder for savory snacks. I tried them both and it is really good. The sweet one sorta reminds me of a chocolate chip cookie if you use your imagination. I add garlic powder and cayenne to the peanut one; it's a nice spicy and savory snack. They suggest only one of these snacks a day.

I am also a fan of veggies and hummus. Apples or celery with natural peanut butter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Microwave or hot air popcorn - easy to make your own - lots of topping options from salty, to savory, to sweet
    http://www.marthastewart.com/337688/cocoa-popcorn

Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares are individually wrapped and only 60-70 calories each. Break one into 4 parts and savor.
  • zblev
    zblev Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love a crispy chocolate indulgence myself. One of my go to treats is Joseph's Pita bread and Chocolate PB2. I toast the Pita bread in the oven so it has a nice crunch. Mix 2 servings of Chocolate PB2 which is 4 tbsp and smear it on your toasted pita! If the PB2 alone doesn't quite cut it you can add unsweetened baking cocoa powder to the PB2 when you mix it... really kicks up the chocolate flavor.
    150 Calories
    14g Protein
    21g Carb
    6g Sugar
    4g Fat
    6g Fiber
    0g Sat Fat
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Popsicle brand sugar-free popsicles
    Pickles
    Popcorn
    Jerky
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate 50%-90% melted and spread over plain rice cakes. Before popping in the fridge to set you can add additional toppings like chopped nuts ,coconut flakes, raisins or dried fruit to make it even more filling. One 100g Bar of chocolate covers the top of 10 Rice cakes

I'm so going to try this!!! Sounds delicious!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    In the summer I enjoy fruit like cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries. In the winter, believe it or not, sipping a hot cup of green tea (without sweetener or maybe with a little honey) often hits the spot when I'm craving "something."

I usually try to opt for fruit most often for snacks because it tends to satisfy me more than a small 100 calorie bag of something like cookies/crackers/nuts/chips.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am in LOVE with nonfat Greek yogurt with peanut powder and a sweetener...

1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
    2 tablespoons peanut powder (I use Jif, recently switched from PB2 because they add a tiny bit of sugar)
    2 squeezes Splenda Zero (you can use liquid stevia or an alternative)
    1 spoonful of water (add more or less to get it to the consistency you prefer)

Vigorously whip them all together and you have a delicious and healthy treat. The above works out to 112 calories, 8g carbs, 1g fat, 17g protein!

You can do all sorts of things with this. Increase or decrease the amounts depending on your calorie budget. Savor it plain with a spoon or use it as a dip with apple slices or other fruit. You can also add a tablespoon of cocoa to get your chocolate fix or replace the peanut powder with just cocoa (although that would decrease the protein).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i get your desire to have something healthier - but at the same time, over the years, i've realized - if i want chocolate then nothing is going to be substitutable for me
  • Louve350
    Louve350 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • YiYeYu
    YiYeYu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is highly recommended, with some fruit you like would be better:D

Maybe try this, homemade Banana Oatmeal Cookies, just Banana and Oat (or some Chocolate powder) in the ingredients. Recipes could be found online.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    chocolatey met-rx bars fill my need for something cookie-like, chocolatey, and protein rich at the same time. i eat half at a time usually as they are pretty big.