Strictly Work Out at Home

Options
Does anyone strictly work out at home . Long term success in doing so?

Replies

• SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No, I need the gym classes to motivate me! I have been thinking about signing up to something so I can workout at home...for me it would take total dedication though! So easy to get distracted by something else and not workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone strictly work out at home . Long term success in doing so?

I do...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't have any weights at home so I run and stop by the gym on the way back. I do planks at home though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I workout at home 98% of the time. I do have a membership to a gym but go very rarely (use it for other benefits.)

I have a home gym (weights, bike, etc) that I use multiple times per week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Currently I either work out at home, or outside (walking or bike riding). I have a full cage and Olympic weight set, plus a stair climber and a trainer for my bike. Before I bought the cage I went to a gym. I love working out in my pajamas, and not having to waist time driving or changing clothes. It's been much easier to be consistent.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I have a fair amount of equipment (but not everything). I've had gym memberships in the past, it's 100% not for me.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I will soon. Working on my home gym right now, just waiting on my squat rack and plates!
    I've been lifting consistently for a few years now, I think being able to train any day/time I want will be a huge asset. Plus I can pet dogs between sets.
  • shawna5587
    shawna5587 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, I YouTube different 10min workouts for an hr first thing in the morning. Then after work I use my stationary bike for another hr. I’ve been doing this a couple weeks now and it’s changed my life. I think as long as you can keep yourself motivated and make time in your day for it, you don’t need a gym.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes. 5 years. No issues and prefer it. No travel and no fees.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and much prefer it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I do, if you don't count going out for a walk at lunch. :)

I used to commute to work with my husband which made it very hard to go to a gym as he was not at all interested in going with me.

So I slowly built up my own gym at home - includes treadmill, bicycle trainer, rowing machine, resistance bands, and free weights. I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze in an elliptical. :# I did a lot of solitary biking and kayaking this past summer and am hoping my knee holds out for some snowshoeing as I've got 160 acres out my back door.

I prefer working out by myself, at my own pace, on my own schedule. I live out in the country and enjoy the peace and quiet and solitude. Or maybe it's just age.... lol I prefer my own company. :p

Does it work?
    Well I recommitted myself to getting back in shape this past April and have lost 60 lbs so far.

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, I have a pretty good home gym set up. I do swim, walk, and bike in my neighborhood.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My anxiety is way too bad to go to a gym, I've never been comfortable working out or really doing anything in front of other people. I have a weight set and a treadmill. I want to get a stationary bike or an elliptical and start building a real home gym.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I am going on my 3rd year here at MFP and have not set foot in a gym at all. I reached my goal weight in 420 days (over 120 lbs lost) and have been maintaining ever since. I do a combination of body weight circuit training, running, walking, and using my own equipment (Bowflex M5 - sort of like an elliptical or stair stepper). In the warmer months I tend to do more circuit training and running, in the colder months I do more circuit training and use my machine unless it's warm enough outside to run/walk. I do have some free weights at home but rarely use them. I'd like to think I've been successful. I stay at my goal weight and have been steadily building muscle during recomp for almost a year.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I do, since January. Have lost so far 18.5 kg (about 40lb) and dropped 4 dress sizes, doing Fitness blender workouts and eating better. Adding I have 2x 20kg (44lb) dumbbell sets and that's it. easy peasy.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do beachbody workouts (Shaun T is the best!!) I run outside (not on a treadmill) and I walk. I usually swim once a week but that's just for fun and floating about more than anything. I don't enjoy the gym at all.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    For a few years, I just cycled on a hybrid bike a few times a week for a couple hours. I was so lucky to live right on the bike trail. Now, I’m back to using a gym tho.
  • hawk4669
    hawk4669 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and love it. To each their own though...some folks love the gym. I'm still building equipment at home as I expand my exercises, so that'll take time but I'm in this for the long haul. :-)
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is "The hustle is in what you do, not where you go." I work out just as hard at home as I would do in the gym. If you're doing your workouts, eating the right amount of calories for your goals, and stay consistent with it, I don't see how you can't have long term results at home.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I do not use a gym, although in years past I have spent money on gym memberships. I have a small collection of machines, weights, tools and toys at home that I work with to get exercise. I have lost quite a bunch of weight staying in a calorie deficit since January of 2016.