Question for Ladies (time of month)

Options
xionax
xionax Posts: 19 Member
Hey,
Question for a females....
Every time of the month I always get comfort food craving - basically anything chocolaty, sugary, crispy - Do you get the comfort food craves? If so what do you do?
I get really grumpy and cancel my diet. What can I do instead lol....

Thanks any advice will help

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    For me it's starch and salt. I have Skinny Pop popcorn on-hand, and while I don't usually buy pop chips or veggie straws or protein chips, this might be the time I treat myself a couple of single-serve bags. What I don't do anymore is buy a tube of Pringles or consume an entire pot of matzo ball soup in one day. (The broth is low calorie, if a sodium bomb. But all those matzo balls?)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to honor whatever emotional state I'm in, and meet that need. But not to change the overall plan.

Physical activity is a healthier way to deal with the sensitivity, bloating, and irritability I get just before that time of month. It usually isn't real strenuous stuff... it's walking, yoga, just getting out and moving. It really helps the mind & body connection to get some moderate exercise in.

As for chocolate... well hell ya! So I make sure to pack myself one of the better brand protein bars for snack. A Luna or Cliff bar is pretty tasty, and fits pretty well in my diet. But whatever I pick, whether it's a protein bar, chocolate chip cookies, or Ben & Jerry's, gets logged just like any other day.

As for sweet, or crispy, or whatever... a lot of those can be met with either hard-to-fit choices (potato chips, oversized brownie) or the same textures can be found in easier-to-fit choices (carrot sticks with some light ranch dip, a Rice Crispie treat).

I've also found as I've upped the protein in my diet, reduced (not eliminated!) carbs, and found healthier eating habits my food cravings overall have subsided quite a bit.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    ^^ I'm a starch and salt girl too! I have found keeping prepackaged foods (I know, I know... but hear me out) makes it so easy to fit stupid cravings into my diet without blowing the whole thing. Ex. 6 little cracker sandwiches, or a 100 calorie bag of cheezits as opposed to that entire tube of pringles or box of cheezits. Something that could work for you might be a small package of Famous Amos cookies? (YUM) or one of those on the go mini oreo things? It gives me enough to satisfy me and a chance to say "I'm done" before mindlessly eating multiple servings.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but if I know I'm craving something I wouldn't normally eat because it's TTOM I just tell myself I don't really want it, and I'll get over it and move on with my life even if I don't have it lol.
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I find that if I give into my cravings I immediately feel disappointment in myself for such a temporal pleasure as a candy bar. Not to mention sugar can actually cause more mood swing and depression (at least in me) I have PMDD. Basically extreme PMS and I've spent a lot of time changing my diet and observing how certain foods effect me.
    If you're craving sweet though one of my go to literally maybe once a month because I know I'll prob feel grumpy shortly after is Nutella on a banana or gf bread
    Best of luck!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My Mom wanted to do the Zero Sugar plan. They suggest 1/2 cup Nature's Path flake cereal + 32 60% Cacao dark chocolate chips for sweet snacks. And 1/2 cup Nature's Path flake cereal + 2 Tbsp. peanuts + chili powder for savory snacks. I tried them both and it is really good. The sweet one sorta reminds me of a chocolate chip cookie if you use your imagination. I add garlic powder and cayenne to the peanut one; it's a nice spicy and savory snack. They suggest only one of these snacks a day.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My go to lately has been full fat Greek yogurt with cocoa nibs and cocoa powder. If the sweet factor is really there then I add a half a banana. Had that recently for a dessert since I was craving something sweet, needed extra protein, and had calories to use up.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Ditto on eating to maintenance.
  • meganmluitjens
    meganmluitjens Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do meals from the comfort food diet cookbook your favorite comfort food made healthy I get what I want without compromising my diet
  • icepaw28
    icepaw28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I allow a small amount of dark chocolate or some fresh fruit for a sugar fix. Its all accounted for in my calories.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Build it in to your calorie goal, keep foods around that are comfort foods but on the healthier side. Or just try to make that day a maintenance day so you don't lose but you don't gain either. Being prepared is key.

^^This. You know it happens, just plan for it.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Oh man I need my fixes too. I get SUPER moody which ups the snacking, and plus like you I crave salty sweet crunchy all at once. I don't even wanna tell you what crap I eat... this time, it was popcorn with dark chocolate chips and parmesan. I also crave peanut butter a lot, so I try to find healthy ways of eating it: in oatmeal with fruit, on top of yogurt (with fruit, and cheerios for crunch), on rice cakes. One day more than half my calories came from peanut butter... I also crave donuts with my coffee, but I have those rarely. When I do it's a treat and it hits my PMS-y craving spot so well.

Stay hydrated. Give into cravings but try to "volumize" the food, and eat veggies/fruits before reaching for something more indulgent (sometimes it's just plain hunger). Let yourself go back to maintenance for a few days. And if you go over, up the exercise to make up the difference. I find that going on longish walks helps also to keep my mind off food as well as to keep bloating down.

Cravings usually come from some need; for example, chocolate provides magnesium, which apparently the menstruating body needs. Your BMR supposedly increases as well, hence the need for more calories. It's not a bad thing to give into these cravings; your body really does benefit from listening to its insatiable need for ice cream topped with potato chips. Um... at least, that's what I tell myself...
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The cravings don't bother me much but the bloating kills me
  • MaikeO1977
    MaikeO1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are some healthy cookie and brownie recipes in the vegan section. You can't eat a whole pan, of course, but livestrong.com has a nice vegan sweet potato brownie recipe that is pretty good. You can make a pan of brownies, and freeze brownies in singles or doubles so that you're not too awfully tempted to eat them all. lol

Also, I occasionally just grab a mini snickers bar or whatever and get it over with. Make sure you drink a cup or two of water afterwards and the craving will be gone.
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I get HORRIBLE cravings for pretty much everything bad the week leading up to my period. If it’s pizza I want, I limit myself to one hot pocket. I can usually get that to fit in my calories and I get that taste I crave. Even if it’s a hot pocket two days in a row. I keep a bag of semi sweet chocolate morsels in the pantry for when I want chocolate. I only crave chocolate during the week before my period. I just fix myself enough to fit in my calories (again, even if it’s two days in a row). Same thing with anything you’re craving. Still have it, just less of it to fit in your calories. If it’s not enough and you want more then do it all over again the next day.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving I eat at maintenance and ignore my macros.
  • vivian1201small
    vivian1201small Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I give myself a pass for one day and go to a local bakery and get a “piece of cake that matters!”
  • fiona4879
    fiona4879 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make 'healthy brownies'. Mildly sweet with a rich dark chocolate flavor. 140 cals per serve and sorts out that craving without breaking the daily calorie goal.

Recipe Brownies: 3 very ripe (medium to large) bananas mashed with a fork. Mix in 1/2 cup almond butter and 2 tbsp of Cacao. I use a muffin tray and make 8 serves. Bake for 20-25 mins. The sweetness comes from the bananas, so the sweeter they are the better the result. Tip: do not over cook. They become awfully dry. When cooked perfectly they are moist.

Recipe ice cream: exactly as per brownies but start with frozen bananas. Blend in a small food processor to make soft serve.

PS. I have found cutting out processed sugar completely reduces cravings down to something I hardly notice. Food with added sugar tastes sickly to me now.
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I typically crave chocolate. So I try to fit it into my macros if possible or just say screw it a few Hersey's kisses or peanut m&ms and go for a walk around the block. I've also found that chocolate rice cakes and peanut butter help the cravings.