Snack Confession

Options
I was just scrolling through my snack database, looking for my Fiber One bar, when it occurred to me, "Wow, there's a lot of alcohol listed here!" So I went back and counted...12 of my 25 "most frequent" enteries are alcoholic beverages. Yikes!! That seems like a startling amount. Perhaps that's why I haven't lost any weight since my summer vacation began. I find I'm drinking more because I'm getting together with friends more often due to all the time I have on my hands! I'm still on the fence about whether this sacrifice is worth it. I'm really enjoying myself, but will I pay for it in the end??

Does anyone else have a Snack list that rivals mine? Are you still losing weight?

Replies

• EJsMom310
    EJsMom310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't have a snack list like that but I'm still kind of new'ish so we'll see in a few months...

And you sound like fun! LOL
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My snack list has a wide variety, but every Friday and most Saturdays have a ridiculous amount of various alcohols and shot components. I am still losing, i know that it is going to come so I try to plan ahead, i know some people say you can't "save" calories, but it works for me, Friday foods are usually very light and healthy as I opt to drink my calories after my softball game, the days following the weekend, ie Sunday-Tuesday are usually heavy workout days for me. I do go over my calories on days where there is alcohol but I stay under on other days so it balances out and Im still losing. My friends and family like to get together and have cocktails, its no good living this healthier lifestyle if I'm not still living my life so i think the sacrifice is worth it.
  • MABmom
    MABmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For a normal summer I think I would match you, but this summer I am still nursing so I can't really do the alcohol and we just moved so we don't know many people and thus fewer get togethers.

I wouldn't cut out the fun totally. Maybe allow one beer then diet soda or water. Honestly I would do diet soda because at least that has flavor and I wouldn't feel so deprived. That and volunteer to be the DD more often. Not too often or you'll become the assumed automatic and that sucks.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    my extra's is the same way! filled with vodka and wine!
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I haven't really found that drinking causes me to gain weight when I am being good and drinking in moderation AFTER working out; **however** I have found that a lot of the time I'll have a drink early in the evening and that will cause me to not work out that day. I just don't seem to be very good at balancing weight loss and drinking, so I've pretty much quit drinking for the time being.

ETA: The pizza place that is walking distance from our house just started offering $1 drafts on weeknights, so the above may not hold true for very long... hahaha
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Grey goose vodka is definitely in my top 25. I am an accountant, married, and have two kids. Alcohol i refuse to give up and i have lost 35 lbs in 3 months!!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mine has about 5 of the same adult beverages on there over and over... But I'm a teacher and enjoy my summers off! I'm not really losing, but not really trying to. I'm just trying to maittain right now. But I have managed to lose weight and be a semi-lush at the same time before :tongue: it's all about accounting for it and not losing the willpower when you drink. Personally, I saw give yourself a dealine, then give it up for a month and see how that affects you. Only way to really know how it affects you is to take it out of the equation. In the meantime, enjoy!!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will pay. We all do for whatever we put in our bodies. Some say like 'Tararocks' that they plan for calories in their alcohol when they drink. That's fine but what they don't plan for is that when you drink alcohol you body STOPS using fat as fuel for your body. Your body MUST metabolize the alcohol first before it will use any other fuel source for you body.

This can then lead to further setbacks depending on how much eat when you drink since that food will pretty much get stored as fat since you are drinking.

All that being said, HAVE FUN with your friends and enjoy the summer. :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    mine would also be alcohol... I can't WAIT to have to give it up for 6+ weeks. lol (my diary from Thursday and Saturday was INSANE the amount of alcohol listed). I should be ashamed, but eh, its my life and I'm not looking to lose, just maintain and tone. :happy:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I wouldn't cut out the fun totally.

I don't gain per se, but I have that fake weight loss that comes after a night of boozehounding, due to dehydration.
    If I drink too much then I regress into my Snackie at 2AM lifestyle, which would, indeed, make me gain weight.

I don't really believe in banning foods/drinks, so I try to indulge less often.
    The upside has been that Fewer Drinks = Higher Quality Scotch/Whisky/Bourbon :drinker:
    And I am a stickler for drinking a glass of water between drinks. That helps.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I see nothing startling about your discovery. Carry on.
  • mominabox
    Options
    No worries, Have fun, I just make sure I leave cals for my end of the day snack, Veno and pistachios
  • mominabox
    Options
    my extra's is the same way! filled with vodka and wine!
    thats my kinda day
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great, sounds like for the most part I'm not alone. I never intended to give up alcohol, except for a short stint in which I was in the running for winning some $$$ for weight loss. Nonetheless, just wanted to be reassured that I can, in fact, lose weight and still drink. Because I'm loving life right now, so I'm going to keep living it the way I am. Mostly. Maybe a few adjustments; less 500 calorie margaritas and more 70 calorie grey goose vodkas:drinker: