Ladies only.

Options
Mrsabror
Mrsabror Posts: 41 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question for ladies eyes only, and no, it's not a titillating topic, so you can leave now gentleman.

Anyways, since my husband and I got married back in January I have had a very irregular cycle. We have not used any protection, and both of us are hoping to get pregnant. However, we have yet to conceive and my period is still very irregular. I some research online about what can cause an irregular cycle, as well as infertility, and PCOS came up. I'm hesitant to consider that, as I sometimes feel a lot of overweight women are quick to self-diagnose PCOS, as an excuse for their size. (That's just my own personal opinion, please don't get offended if you have PCOS.)

I know weight and health can be a big factor with infertility, and concerns about fertility had a lot to do with my decision to get healthy back in June. Since we started working on our health I have lost around 30 lb; we are still going strong, and I have a ways to go yet. My question is do any overweight women have similar experiences with infertility, PCOS, infrequent or irregular Cycles, Etc?

I would dearly love to be a mom someday, and my fear is that losing weight might not be enough. Does anyone have a personal experience of setting health-goals specifically because of infertility? Successes?

Replies

• MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been on bc since the age of 15. I have no idea if my cycle is regular currently b/c I am on the pill and have my period when I want to. I stopped taking bc about 6 months one time a few years back and I was not regular. sometimes going 45 days between - sometimes going 20 days between.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to go to a gyno so they can test for it. They may also want to send you somewhere to get horomones checked. Many things can effect cycle regularity (stress, diet, etc). But your doctor may be able to diagnose what is wrong and get you the proper treatment whether it be a dietary change, self care, or medication. There are many pcos success stories here on MFP!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that irregular periods are totally normal (on or off bc) and unless you're feeling pain or other symptoms its usually nothing to worry about, your body knows what it's doing. But if you're concerned you should be speaking with your doctor or gyno about possible issues.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It varies so much from person to person. I've been a BMI of around 30 most of my adult life. I was really irregular with terrible, painful heavy periods until I was around 20 and went on BC (after being tested for PCOS and results coming back inconclusive). When I came off again I was still a bit all over the place and eventually had an implant inserted when I was around 26 which stopped my period completely. When that was removed three years later, I have been regular as clockwork (more or less!) ever since with a more normal flow and more tolerable PMS.

In my early 20s my diet was pretty woeful, and I was heavier than I am now - so that could have been a contributing factor, or maybe my hormones just settled down with age.

My cousin had anorexia in her late teens and now that she's in her mid-thirties, she spent a long time trying to conceive (happy to say she's due in the next few days!). Hormones and diet/body weight are very closely linked which scares me a little!

Morale of the story is it's a really personal thing with a zillion contributing factors and if you want to have kids, defo go and speak to you gyno :)

• Mrsabror
    Options
    Not looking for diagnosis or anything, btw, just curious about people's personal experiences. Thanks for the info though, it's encouraging to hear from people who have been through the same trials. I just recently got on my husband's insurance, so I will be visiting a obgyn. I definitely prefer to do as much as I naturally can on my own to heal things, without resorting to medication or treatments though. One of my co-workers has been having similar issues, and is obese, and her doctor just put her on metformin. I just feel I can accomplish the same naturally.
  • Mrsabror
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Mrsabror wrote: »
    I have a question for ladies eyes only, and no, it's not a titillating topic, so you can leave now gentleman.

Anyways, since my husband and I got married back in January I have had a very irregular cycle. We have not used any protection, and both of us are hoping to get pregnant. However, we have yet to conceive and my period is still very irregular. I some research online about what can cause an irregular cycle, as well as infertility, and PCOS came up. I'm hesitant to consider that, as I sometimes feel a lot of overweight women are quick to self-diagnose PCOS, as an excuse for their size. (That's just my own personal opinion, please don't get offended if you have PCOS.)

I know weight and health can be a big factor with infertility, and concerns about fertility had a lot to do with my decision to get healthy back in June. Since we started working on our health I have lost around 30 lb; we are still going strong, and I have a ways to go yet. My question is do any overweight women have similar experiences with infertility, PCOS, infrequent or irregular Cycles, Etc?

I would dearly love to be a mom someday, and my fear is that losing weight might not be enough. Does anyone have a personal experience of setting health-goals specifically because of infertility? Successes?

I have PCOS and very irregular cycles. We conceived naturally 18 months after my RE suggested ending IF treatments and instead considering a surrogate, adoption, or life without children. Losing 25 lbs made the difference for me IMO.

Wow, that's amazing! Goes to show that nothing is impossible, and all of the wisdom of modern medicine sometimes can't comprehend what the human body is capable of. Definitely continuing to work towards a healthier weight; I feel like sometimes the simplest answer - diet and exercise for weightloss - is the most overlooked.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have PCOS and very irregular cycles. We conceived naturally 18 months after my RE suggested ending IF treatments and instead considering a surrogate, adoption, or life without children. Losing 25 lbs made the difference for me IMO.

Wow, that's amazing! Goes to show that nothing is impossible, and all of the wisdom of modern medicine sometimes can't comprehend what the human body is capable of. Definitely continuing to work towards a healthier weight; I feel like sometimes the simplest answer - diet and exercise for weightloss - is the most overlooked.

Agreed!
  • wiggnack
    wiggnack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PCOS-er here. I was diagnosed by bloodwork and ultrasound. It took me 2.5 years to get pregnant (a full year and a half of trying with no medical intervention). Finally conceived after being on Metformin for almost a year. Metformin made my cycles regular for the first time ever. Don't give up hope!
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My cycle was clockwork regular while I was obese, and is irregular now that I’m merely overweight, but that’s because I’m 42 and not because of weight loss. In addition to checking in with your doctor, I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. The author also runs the site tcoyf.com which has downloadable charts you can use to track your fertile signs. I’ve also heard good things about the Glow app, but I had both of my children before that existed so I’ve never used it myself.

The usual rule of thumb is if you’re under 35 and have been unsuccessfully trying to conceive for a year or over 35 and trying for 6 months, it’s time for both of you to see a doc for an infertility workup.
  • MattsGirl90
    MattsGirl90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have PCOS.... weight gain carb lover losing hair extra hair
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have Pcos (diagnosed after tests at 18 )
    I had to have fertility treatment after 3 and a half years of trying for my daughter. My periods were either absent for months or I bled continuously for months.
    I was told I could not have any more children, never used protection, never conceived. I just accepted that was what was meant to be

A decade later of gaining weight I lost over 100lb and fell pregnant. I unfortunately lost the baby but knew it was a possibility now. I took up running for my mental health and 6 months later fell pregnant with my son

My cycles now around 32 - 38 days but that's a whole lot better than it used to be
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Can I piggy back off this post for a moment? I have a TOM related questions but I feel it does not warrant it's own post. Is it possible for your maintenance calories to be higher during your TOM? I maintain on around 1700-1800 but during my period I eat more like 2200-2300 but do not gain, not even water weight. Not that I'm complaining because it is kinda nice but it is just odd. I also find myself genuinely hungrier during my TOM, not just cravings, actual hunger where I feel weak and shaky if I don't eat extra. After my TOM everything goes back to normal, the monstrous appetite goes away and I go back to maintaining on 1700-1800 calories.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    With both of my boys, I tried to get pregnant for a while. Then I decided to lose weight and got pregnant very quickly after hitting my goal weight. With my 12 year old, I had done South Beach Diet and with my 7 year old I did WW. I probably lost 25 pounds each time. Could it be a coincidence? Absolutely.
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did not have irregular periods, but it still took 6-9 months for me to get pregnant (I've had two kids, 3 pregnancies). The book suggested above "taking charge of your fertility" can give you valuable insight about when you ovulate (if you are ovulating). Also - how irregular are you?

There are a ton of apps you can use to track your flow and other symptoms to pinpoint ovulation. This would also be helpful information for your doctor when you have an appointment. I learned so much more about my body when I was trying to get pregnant and read the book.

Also - I think we spend so much time trying to prevent pregnancy that we sometimes think it should be easier to get pregnant. Don't get discouraged and enjoy the practice. :)
  • misshellybell
    misshellybell Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I would dearly love to be a mom someday, and my fear is that losing weight might not be enough. Does anyone have a personal experience of setting health-goals specifically

I can’t advice on PCOS but have your tried any ovulation kits to help determine the best time to try and conceive?
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Please go to a doctor about your irregular cycles. If you do have PCOS, there is medication that can help. You might consider a GYN who specializes in fertility.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you really need to go to a doc have have your cycles figured out, then worry about weight loss and getting pregnant