Photo! How many calories do you think are in this plate?

2»

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Well, I can say for fairly certain that the salmon fillet is around 200 calories as I used to have one that size on a nightly basis. I would imagine that plate is between 700-800 calories max, possibly a little less. Just look up the individual ingredients to get a rough idea.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Well, I can say for fairly certain that the salmon fillet is around 200 calories as I used to have one that size on a nightly basis. I would imagine that plate is between 700-800 calories max, possibly a little less. Just look up the individual ingredients to get a rough idea.

How can you tell how big it is?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    800 cals.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    really? 30 calories for rice?

It's almost impossible to tell because the scale of the picture is unclear but brown rice is very slightly over 1 calorie per gram (a normal 1 cup serving is about 195 grams/~200 calories). The picture makes it look like there's about 2 Tablespoons on the plate (again, impossible to really say because of scale), or 1/8 of a cup. Thus, about 25-30 calories.

Scale is definitely the issue here. To me, that rice looks like it's easily 1/4 to half a cup, which would put us at minimum 60 to 120 calories.

USDA says 1 cup brown rice is 248 calories: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6506

I compared it with the 'forkful' of mac and cheese. Though you are probably right. I think OP is a little optimistic with her mac and cheese measurements!

I just grabbed the calories in brown rice from a bag of Carolina brand. That says 150 calories per 3/4 cup cooked. Screw it, brown rice is gross anyway.

Yeah, to me, that's way more than a forkful. I'd call the mac and cheese at least two tablespoons. If I were logging it, I'd call it 1/4 cup so I could feel better about it and be OK with overshooting.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

It's almost impossible to tell because the scale of the picture is unclear but brown rice is very slightly over 1 calorie per gram (a normal 1 cup serving is about 195 grams/~200 calories). The picture makes it look like there's about 2 Tablespoons on the plate (again, impossible to really say because of scale), or 1/8 of a cup. Thus, about 25-30 calories.

Scale is definitely the issue here. To me, that rice looks like it's easily 1/4 to half a cup, which would put us at minimum 60 to 120 calories.

USDA says 1 cup brown rice is 248 calories: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6506

I compared it with the 'forkful' of mac and cheese. Though you are probably right. I think OP is a little optimistic with her mac and cheese measurements!

I just grabbed the calories in brown rice from a bag of Carolina brand. That says 150 calories per 3/4 cup cooked. Screw it, brown rice is gross anyway.

Yeah, to me, that's way more than a forkful. I'd call the mac and cheese at least two tablespoons. If I were logging it, I'd call it 1/4 cup so I could feel better about it and be OK with overshooting.

Really? I see 4 pieces of pasta... that's only a mouthful!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I dunno but it all looks yummy!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    My first thought is that really looks like two meals there whatever the actual calorie count.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Really? I see 4 pieces of pasta... that's only a mouthful!

It's hard to tell if it's something small, like shells, or if it's something bigger, like celletani. If it's small, there's more than four there (I can see more than four bends), but if it's celletani, I'd call it *maybe* four. Plus, you don't know how deep it is.

Maybe I'm strange (always a possibility), but that's more than a mouthful to me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I see about 800 calories homemade with little/no added fat, so 1000 may be close
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2017
    I’m in the “about 750” camp. If logging it as 1000 is working for you I see no reason to change it. However, if you’re hungry splitting it in half it’s worth weighing a few times to get an idea. They make pocketable scales but if you’re uncomfortable doing it there you can weigh it when you get back to work or home. I’d add at least 100-150 for oil.

Scales are super cheap, you could have one on your doorstep in a day two from Amazon.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    My guess would be 850 calories.
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    I feel like this is “the dress” of meals!! Blue and black or white and gold?!?? One bite of Mac and cheese or several?!??

All joking aside, I say around 800 calories. However like others also stated, if you are ok with how your weight is managing by eating this so often, then it must be within your guidelines.

Also, if you eat half at work and the other half at home, then weigh the second half of the meal when you get home. Then you just multiply that by 2. Add an extra 150 or so for the oils and that’s how you will probably be most accurate if you don’t want to weigh at work.
  • okanaganselect
    okanaganselect Posts: 2 Member
    Rough estimate 800 calories, 70 g protein.
  • jesheckah
    jesheckah Posts: 33 Member
    1.) Roasted green beans & asparagus - 70 cal
    2.) Baked salmon - 150 cal
    3.) Piece of skirt steak -150 cal
    4.) Piece of roast turkey slice - 80 cal
    5.) A forkful if Mac and cheese- 100 cal
    6.) Brown rice - 100 cal
    7.) oil - I'm going to guess 3 tablespoons because honestly so many places use a TON of oil and oil was likely added to the salmon and steak - 330 calories

so around 1000 looks right to me.