Need to lose but only losing motivation :(

Options
I have really been struggling with motivation lately. Old habits are sneaking back in (soft drinks) and I know I need to get back on the weight loss goal, but my motivation is MIA. I am starting to log back in to MFP daily but any other tips would be great! PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

• kelley4avon
    kelley4avon Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I know it's so hard, Jessie. You just have to keep telling yourself you deserve to be healthy and happy. Drinking soda won't get you there, right? Try some little things. Eat an apple, walk a flight of stairs, listen to music that gets you up and moving and happy. Sometimes little steps like that help you take bigger steps. We all get in a rut, or depressed, but you can work through it. You'll come back even stronger because you've challenged yourself and succeeded. :)
  • Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Some people say you don't need motivation, just dedication/perspiration. Just do it (weigh food, scan, log) whether you feel like it or not.
    Sometimes you just have to push through and keep going when not feeling particularly motivated. The motivation is not constant or consistent. It just has to be enough at the beginning to get you to want to start or re-start your program, which is exactly what has happened. You want to do this, and know you should do this, so that's motivation enough. Now it's the work part but remember you can have some fun on the way :)
    Find a no-cal substitute for the soft drinks. Whatever works for you - a no cal version, mineral water, refrigerated tap water with or without a slice of lemon... Try all of them or something else.
  • SweetEve340
    SweetEve340 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No matter how far you feel you fall off the bandwagon, you can get back to it! Just brush yourself off and force that motivation!
    You have to be determined more than motivated. With determination comes motivation!
    You can do it!!!
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Set some small, attainable goals, to get yourself back in the swing of things. You can't get to the weight/fitness level you want in one day, so you can't screw things up in one day.
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda on any regular basis but when I get a craving ,I try to replace with fizzy water with a little orange juice for extra taste!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie budget? Are you managing to stay within it? Are you doing any kind of exercise to improve your health?

Have you tinkered with your macros to find if some are more satisfying than others?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://sourcesofinsight.com/the-elephant-and-the-rider/

How far are you from goal? What are your plans when you get there? What activities make you happy? When motivation slips off as you describe it is usually because I am neglecting an element of self care.

I'm not doing all this work just to beat myself up.

Find your happy and it will be easier to stick to your plan.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a set of things to do. Plan a modest calorie deficit, keep a food journal. To track your intake you need to weigh and measure. You will soon find that to stick with it you need some kind of eating plan. How much detail you need is up to you.

It helps if you can get in some exercise or activity. Exercise is overrated as a WL strategy but it has great benefits for your body, brain and attitude.

Work on how you think about the process. How are you going to deal with the time it takes to lose? How will you cope when discouraged? If you read this board a lot every day you see people wrecked by their own brains, usually over the time issue. Btw, I'm in the Motivation is too fleeting camp. I think it's a matter of determination. Also, read up on how to establish good habits.

Soda? Diet or sugar? Sugar is empty calories and going to be hard to fit into any WL program. Even diet is a tough habit to break. I've settled for cutting back.

But don't drink soda is not a thing to do, it's a don't. Doing an unhelpful thing is not a reason to quit. WL is very complicated, you have to be willing to stumble a lot to succeed. Helped me- Perfect is the enemy of the good.

• jessie_williams2009
    Options
    What's your calorie budget? Are you managing to stay within it? Are you doing any kind of exercise to improve your health?

Have you tinkered with your macros to find if some are more satisfying than others?

I run/walk on the treadmill a min of 3 times weekly for at least 30 min at a time. Sometimes more than 3. My calorie goal is 1500. I'm not good at managing macros. :( Haven't had time to sit down and learn down to use them properly.
  • jessie_williams2009
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    http://sourcesofinsight.com/the-elephant-and-the-rider/

How far are you from goal? What are your plans when you get there? What activities make you happy? When motivation slips off as you describe it is usually because I am neglecting an element of self care.

I'm not doing all this work just to beat myself up.

Find your happy and it will be easier to stick to your plan.

I am about 15 pounds away from goal. I feel like being sick one week and going on vacation the next threw me off and i got totally out of routine.