Cant lose fat on belly/stomach.

Options
I started out 6 months ago at 190 and ive been 175-177 maintained for months now. ive been able to change my diet to maintain this. Watching calories has worked wonders. however im 37 and 6'2 and seditary. I work at an office job for 10 hours a day 6 days a week. i have no energy to exercise. My face still looks "full" and my belly still bulges. I can loose the smoach fat for nothing. i cant do leg lifts and situps and can feel my abs tense up and are somewhat strong compared to what they used to be.

i dont want 6 pack abs but i cant for the life of me lose this fat off my stomach and face. im really frustrated with my stomach since it wont go away and all my google searches lead to me having to buy something. Any solutions that work? I am only watching calories not fat or carbs.
is it my food intake or am i just going to have to suck it up and do more ab excercises or is there something different i need to do?
Any suggestions are welcome. thanks for listening.

Replies

• Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Walking, jogging, or running will help you burn fat which is what you need. Try jogging half an hour before or after work, watching your sodium, carbs, sugars, and fat will help a lot. hope that you are getting your fat from healthy options, like avocado, or nuts. Try cutting you carbs to about 100 grams a day, more or less depending on excersice.
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can't burn "belly" fat. As it turns out thats just the first place fat is stored when you gain fat, as a result its also the last place you loose it. Focus on whole body burnning. Focusing on "ab" workouts will increase muscle mass, but won;t burn your belly fat any faster.

Check out Lie #1 on this site, they explain it better
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-big-fat-6-pack-ab-lies-14-ways-to-beat-belly-fat.htm
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Try lifting weights to get an overall body "fat" burn. I lift weights and do cardio, and that has really helped whittle down my middle section.

Besides, muscle burns more calories then fat does.. so it doesn't hurt to have some extra.
  • Mama_cc
    Mama_cc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40s and noticed I could not lose any belly fat even w/counting calories. So I tried something different-kind of a last ditch effort. First, I added sugar and fiber to my calories and fat counting log. Staying within my sugar count and getting all my fiber has made a huge difference! My belly size went down-and my pant size so far.
    Also, the type of sugar I ate made a big difference too. I traded a processed snacks (snack bars) for veggies/fresh stuff and limited my fruit intake at first.
    In the mornings I eat egg white/spinach/zucchini instead my usual cereal. I eat lots more black beans/lentils too and I no longer crave sweet or salty snacks as often as I did- and i feel full for longer. Basically for me it was the sugar, even type of sugar intake-even though I was almost always within my calorie limit. It may be different for others, but sugar intake was my culprit.
  • arcadepcnut
    Options
    I am surprised of how much intake of mine is sugars. i am well below my calorie intake for the day but 4 to 5x over on sugars. Im going to start with that. everything i eat for breakfast lunch and dinner has some sugar/carbs in it!
    Well i know the exercise is a great answer as well and would help alot but right now with the job i have im going to start with watching intake and then doing what the others of you suggested on cardio when i can. thank you all for the help and ill report back if i notice any results. im sure it will take time but at least now i have hope.
  • ChanMay
    ChanMay Posts: 39
    Options
    My sisters dietician told he that belly fat tended to be fat fom carbs. So watching your sugars and carbs like somone else mentioned just might do the trick :)
  • arcadepcnut
    Options
    I think it is sugars! i am now 300-400 calories UNDER my daily now that im only watching sugar intake and trying to stay below the 33grams. life is definately not as fun now watching sugars. I have to shop completely different. problem is now that im under on sugars i have been over on protein. is this going to be a huge issue? i cant get enough calories and be perfectly balanced on carbs fats protein and sugars. im thinking of not even worring about protein. Im a bit more tired everydaya but i think its due to calories.