Be Careful: Salmonella found in Ground Turkey

Options
I just saw an article about salmonella found in Ground Turkey. Cases have been noted in the following states: Michigan, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, California and Pennsylvania.

I'm disappointed to hear this because ground turkey is one of my main meats. Just be careful and make sure you share this information.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessResource/drug-resistant-salmonella-found-ground-turkey/story?id=14212687

Replies

• loseatonlady
    Options
    Me too and they aren't sharing a lot of info yet. Being from Illinois - I am concerned I have some ... =(
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, Thanks. I'm from PA and we use ground turkey all the time! I'll have to check out the link and what we currently have in-house!
  • tlahuiltzin
    tlahuiltzin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What? No. I have some frozen ground turkey. :( I was gonna make tacos on Friday and I'm not pooping money.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mine too. I was just sick with salmonella from chicken and shrimp last month so its not fun at all. My appetite is still not back up to par. I am eating as a vegetarian for now.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I heard about it but didn't know where it was! I guess that ground turkey is going in the trash...
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great time to go veg!!! :wink:
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    salmonella is in or on MOST chicken and turkey you can buy in the US, has been for years. Just cook it thoroughly and don't cross contaminate and you'll be fine.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to cook all potential sources thoroughly, not suggesting that you dont already but extra care needs to be taken with prep, handling, storage and cooking. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/salmonella.htm
  • sarah829522
    Options
    This might be a dumb question but do you still get sick from this even if it's fully cooked? Not saying I would want to test it, but I thought that if it was undercooked at a restaurant or something that's when you get food poisoning.

Also are they giving out the retailers names yet? I only briefly caught this on GMA this morning when they listed the states.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Me too and they aren't sharing a lot of info yet. Being from Illinois - I am concerned I have some ... =(

I am from IL too... The tribune posted an article listing where the illness were reported. Oak Park is the closest to me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-taintedgroundturk,0,4760309.story
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Mine too. I was just sick with salmonella from chicken and shrimp last month so its not fun at all. My appetite is still not back up to par. I am eating as a vegetarian for now.

Good idea! :bigsmile:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have no problems eating Ground Turkey, Chicken, Shrimp, Fish nor Steak. I cook my food and make sure it's fully cooked. (not trying to be a smarta**, just saying)
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason to buy from your local farmers where the poultry isn't mass produced, caged inhumanely, and given unnecessary drugs and supplements.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason to buy from your local farmers where the poultry isn't mass produced, caged inhumanely, and given unnecessary drugs and supplements.

IMO, it's a bit irresponsible (and perhaps even dead wrong) to intimate that locally produced poultry is somehow safer than mass produced.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If cooked properly its perfectly safe, most poultry carries it anyway but in smaller amounts. Jus tremember its not just about cooking, your prep and handling have to be good too, no point cooking it properly if you havent thoroughly washed your hands after handling it raw
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yea I just saw this on the news! A lot of people have already mentioned this but all you really need to do is make sure the meat is cooked through. And make sure you clean and disinfect all surfaces that the meat has touched and wash your hands very well, this is very important!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My friend is a boisterous Vegan. Always preaching.... 10 minutes after I saw this his postings went viral .. FB, Tweeting, Texting, AND Email... I get it... you don't eat anything having to do w/ animals.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm from Alabama, so this far I seem to be in the clear, but I use ground turkey for EVRYTHING.