Any vegetarians?

Options

Replies

• marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    Please read in it's entirety before you get mad at me. Just looking for an explanation and some support. Please:

I'm totally and completely carnivorous. I don't support cruelty to animals and am quite particular about where my meat comes from. I don't honestly want to get into a philosophical discussion about how eating meat period is cruel. I respect others decisions and likewise, I ask that you respect mine.

That being said...for reasons unknown to even myself, my body is insisting that I go vegetarian. I have always eaten veggies, I love veggies but I find myself more and more drawn to meatless dishes and food. I'm finding it extremely difficult to even find the juiciest most flavorful burger palatable, the rarest perfectly seasoned porterhouse makes me gag. It's like the synapsis in my brain changed over night. Literally. As of last Thursday I just couldn't do meat any more and it's been persistent. That's how quickly this changed for me. I don't find this to just be a craving. It's a totally and completely different mind set. I'm also gluten free and what seemed like an initial allergy seems to be turning into something more, could it be related?

I would like to know if anyone has heard of this happening before and how to adjust to it. Don't get me wrong, I love carrots and broccoli but five days straight can get a little old. This is part of the reason I came back to MFP, I would really really appreciate any support I can get in this...

Thanks for understanding...

That's totally fine! =) Since I'm adjusting to it myself as well, my parents aren't very supportive so unless i buy things myself- i'll be stuck with no vegetarian nutrition .... basically normal stuff but choosing not to eat the meat cooked at supper -until i get the money to be able to buy extra things for me. but i hear a lot that boca and morningstar are good brands for vegetarian meat (not sure if its soy or tofu) . and there are some great recipes on the web, and just google your city or if you live in a small town - a city near you and look for some vegetarian restaurants. there's a few cafes in mine, but only one restaurant - the menu looks super yummy and i think many people wouldnt even believe its not real meat.

And the way you started becoming a vegetarian is basically the same way.... well after watching one of my peta supporter friends (i like peta...but i dont like how extreme they are) showing me a video about "meet your meat" and a bunch of other videos on there showing me a bunch of aniimal abuse crimes in the meat industry.. i wasnt a vegetarian, but then at dinner and stuff i'd just start thinking about it and end up gagging or needing to down each bite with water. which is why i'm a second time vegetarian :P i dont want to have to force myself to eat it and drink water with each gulp just so people dont get offended.
  • eodell1
    eodell1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Being vegan has helped tremendously in recovery time between work outs. It almost gives me the feeling that I need little to no recovery time with strength exercises and have yet to find a breaking point when it comes to light to moderate cardio exercise like swimming and bicycling. If I lift weights today, I know I can lift the same weights tomorrow, whereas before I would have taken a recovery day between lifting because of soreness.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    And the way you started becoming a vegetarian is basically the same way.... well after watching one of my peta supporter friends (i like peta...but i dont like how extreme they are) showing me a video about "meet your meat" and a bunch of other videos on there showing me a bunch of aniimal abuse crimes in the meat industry.. i wasnt a vegetarian, but then at dinner and stuff i'd just start thinking about it and end up gagging or needing to down each bite with water. which is why i'm a second time vegetarian :P i dont want to have to force myself to eat it and drink water with each gulp just so people dont get offended.

PETA is not just extreme, they're one of the main promoters of Breed Specific Legislation in the world today. There are places that I can never live because PETA has deemed my 'pitt bull type' dog is undeserving to live, they pushed for all of the Vick dogs to be put down, their 'ethical treatment' of bully breeds is to kill them. I'm all about finding a group and a cause to get behind, but be wary of PETA.

I used to be a pescatarian (once by choice [for years] and once because i watched a movie called "Real Life Hannibal Lecters" and couldn't eat meat for a year). I am leaning toward going veg/vegan again, not because of the whole cruelty thing (I just don't buy into that), but I don't particularly trust the meat industry in the US, and I've got gluten/soy/dairy intolerances, and so I've been stalking vegan food blogs and I'm thinking I'll give it a try, but I don't eat soy so mostly I'll just go raw.
  • marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    PETA is not just extreme, they're one of the main promoters of Breed Specific Legislation in the world today. There are places that I can never live because PETA has deemed my 'pitt bull type' dog is undeserving to live, they pushed for all of the Vick dogs to be put down, their 'ethical treatment' of bully breeds is to kill them. I'm all about finding a group and a cause to get behind, but be wary of PETA.

Couldn't agree more, I only support peta for being so popular and gaining more vegetarians... but I dislike how they will throw paint at a person wearing fur, etc.. i dont like pushing ideas onto anyone even if i don't agree with it. and that's terrible about the pit bull, i hate how aggressive people think pit bulls are --but it's mainly only because of how they're cared for by their owners (my brother runs a pit bull saving type thing in his local town ...getting pit bulls that are up for adoption or others that are going to be put down, keeps them in his house and finds them a good home) . Peta also has been known to kill any animals that they save from neglectful owners, but if they don't get adopted they end up killing them anyways. I mainly only use the peta2 site to hear about vegan/vegetarian celebrities, cruelty free products, also on the street team so i can get points just to get free things (even if it promotes peta... but there is a couple neat things that aren't branded by peta on the merchandise list)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Here's all the veg-heads! I just became active on the site and asked yesterday if there were other vegans out there and only got a couple of responses. Glad to see so many vegetarians.
  • praveena555
    Options
    Me too .. I am a vegetarian my whole life .. Nice to see so many vegetarians ..
  • Unicornmom2
    Unicornmom2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for one and a half months so far and now my five year old daughter is too. It's been great I lost 2 pounds the first week! I did have someone try to convince me how I was hurting myself and my daughter by no longer consuming meat but when I did the research and actively avoided meat, I have found no evidence of that! I have more energy then ever! Stick to your personal values they will never steer you wrong!
  • aworkma6
    aworkma6 Posts: 31
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, have been for almost a year. I have lost 66 pounds so far, JUST from changing my diet, nothing else.
    BTW... if I eat fish, chicken, flies, grasshoppers, whales, dolphins, bear, dragons, WHATEVER.... I am what I say I am, NOT what YOU say I am!... I AM a vegetarian!

THIS. I cannot agree with this more.
    No one has the right to tell ANYONE what they are, or what they aren't.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Well, really, if I go to a restaurant and I am told a meal is vegetarian, then I would expect there to be no meat (red, poultry, fish, etc.); if I am told a meal is vegan, I would expect there to be no animal products of any kind, including honey. Same goes for buying a packaged product. If I bought a product labeled vegetarian or vegan that contained chicken broth or butter, respectively, I would consider that false advertising. Just as I would consider a product labeled gluten-free that then listed wheat or rye or whatever as an ingredient false advertising. So, officially, there should be a separation between vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian, etc, but that doesn't mean a person can't label themselves as they like! Go for it.

P.S. I do not, however, think that labels are the topic of this thread. I think it was intended to be a meeting of like-minded individuals, not exactly-the-same-minded individuals.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest taking some Omega-3 vitamins. We don't get a whole lot of protein being vegetarian so this way we can maintain great health, have amazing hair and have the ability to remain strong. It also helps with heart disease and many other things.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    You can also get Omega 3s from walnuts, ground flaxseed, or hemp seeds. You only need 6-8 grams (I think) a week.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree with the multi-vitamin supplement. My daughter is a vegetarian, and when she came to me at the age of 13 and stated she was giving up meat, I about freaked because I *just knew* she was going to end up starving herself to death. I gave her some space, hoping it was just a phase she was going through, and when it came time for her annual physical, I pleaded her doctor to tell my daughter that it was still ok to at least eat some chicken or fish! Our doctor is amazing. She asked me what my biggest concerns were regarding my daughter's personal choice to become vegetarian, and I explained to her I was worried she was going to waste away or not take care of herself. She explained to me that I did raise my daughter right, and she can take care of herself just fine (because she was raised right), and all she would suggest is that my daughter add a multi-vitamin to her bed-time routine. She was eating enough, I just had not been focusing on that. Hearing from a "professional third-party" really eased my concerns. I have been supportive of her choice for over 5 years now. We dont have to make a lot of changes to accommodate her diet, and if we are grilling steaks or whatever, we grill extra vegetables for her or portabello mushrooms. I have to admit, it is always nice having salad in the house. ;) Just wanted to share my story. Thanks.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I like taking gummie vitamins. I makes me feel like a kid!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I like taking gummie vitamins. I makes me feel like a kid!

I used to love my gummies, but I couldn't find a good iron supplement to add since none of the gummies I found had iron. I now take GNC women's ultra mega active, I love it!
  • dreanance
    Options
    Vegetarian here :) Who also cringes a little when people who only eat fish and poultry claim to be any kind of a vegetarian. :p If that makes a person a vegetarian I've been a vegetarian my whole life. But that's another thread. Feel free to add me.

What makes me laugh is when I tell people I'm vegetarian and they say "do you eat chicken" um no, "well do you eat fish" um no. To each their own, but to me vegetarian means no chicken/fish.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    My omega-3 vitamins are in the gummie form. I can't take all my pills at once, they make me sick. So I spread them out throughout the day.
  • dreanance
    Options
    My omega-3 vitamins are in the gummie form. I can't take all my pills at once, they make me sick. So I spread them out throughout the day.

I didn't know omega 3s came in gummie! Are they fish or algae or something else? I'm taking a algae based capsule right now but I'm almost out.
  • julssw
    julssw Posts: 3
    Options
    HI all,

I'm a gluten free Vegan... and new to this whole website.

I've been a GFV for almost 2 years now. I've been a vegetarian practically my whole life (literally can count all the times I've had meat, last time being at 8) and figured out gluten and dairy was causing major health issues. I went off the Gluten and Dairy Sept 09 and the weight started melting off.

Well, I got pretty comfortable and ended up gaining weight again from eating processed and crappy food. OOPS.

I'd love to make a friend or three thats a veggie/vegan and understands what its like!!! Well, anyone really to help with encouragement would be great!!!

Cheers
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options

I didn't know omega 3s came in gummie! Are they fish or algae or something else? I'm taking a algae based capsule right now but I'm almost out.

fish!!!! Even tho I am a vegetarian I did not cut fish out of my diet. I will eat it but I don't eat it often. This is another way I can stay healthy while being a vegetarian.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here :) Who also cringes a little when people who only eat fish and poultry claim to be any kind of a vegetarian. :p If that makes a person a vegetarian I've been a vegetarian my whole life. But that's another thread. Feel free to add me.

What makes me laugh is when I tell people I'm vegetarian and they say "do you eat chicken" um no, "well do you eat fish" um no. To each their own, but to me vegetarian means no chicken/fish.

That's the question I get the most, do you eat fish. Why the heck would I eat fish if I'm a vegetarian?!?! lol.