Carbs

Options
Hi all I'm new to this and go over my carb intake every day! According to my macros I'm allowed 88g of carbohydrates per day. I never hit the protein target because I'm trying to stay under my carbs

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You're probs fine. Just keep the calories under the bar. You don't need to pound the protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calories matter most for weight loss. Protein increases satiety, and helps with maintaining muscle mass. Fats support hormone health and carbs support energy. Honestly, I only care about calories and protein
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Where do you think protein comes from? If you restrict carbs, that has zero to do with protein unless you are vegetarian or vegan.. Then beans and nuts may be your main source..

If you aren't on a specicific low carb diet, just eat at a calorie deficit. Ignore your macros. If you are purposely trying a diet that requires certain macro variations such as Atkins, paleo, keto, LC, or whatever, and you aren't vegetarian, try meat. Loads of protein and zero carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm new to this and go over my carb intake every day! According to my macros I'm allowed 88g of carbohydrates per day. I never hit the protein target because I'm trying to stay under my carbs

If you are trying to eat less carbs surely you do that by eating more protein?

Why have you changed your macros if it's not an eating style you can sustain?
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    im over carbs every day and under protein, its ok. unless you are on a specific diet i wouldn't worry unless you are REALLY low on protein
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So you need to eat less carbs and more protein, if you want to hit those numbers. You don't have to hit those numbers to lose weight though, you just need to stay within your calories. How much protein are you trying to eat? I usually get @ 175g of carbs and 90g of protein.

Eat less grains, starches, and fruit and eat more meat, fish, and eggs if that is what you want to do. Being more specific about your goals and what you are currently eating, or making your food log public, would get you more specific replies :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How did you set your macros? Nothing wrong with eating under 88 g carbs, but if it is making it more difficult for you, it might not be right for you.

What is your protein goal and what are you coming it at? A good goal might be .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, so if it's higher than that maybe rethink it, as there's no need to worry about getting super high protein. Assuming the protein goal isn't extremely high, are you a vegetarian or vegan? If not, most high protein foods don't have a lot of carbs -- meat (including fish), in particular, but also eggs and even tofu/tempeh. Other legumes and dairy will have more carbs, of course.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    By the way, carbs and protein have the same calories per gram, and fat is a lot more. The numbers are 4, 4, and 9. That's why calories from fatty foods add up quickly. Once you get an idea of portion size, the 1 for 1 calorie relationship between carbs and protein makes estimating substitutions easy.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Might we ask what your caloric intake is? And how your macros breakdown?

So, as an example....and totally making these numbers up....

Your caloric intake each day is 1,800 Calories (maintenance intake).

You consume 145g Protein
    You consume 150g Carbs
    You consume 70g Fats

I did this fake breakdown just in case you were not clear on what the question meant. You stated that you were completely new to this so I did not want to frustrate you by asking a question that you maybe did not follow. :wink:
  • alisonazaria
    alisonazaria Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice, my macros are telling me to have
    Protein 122g
    Carbs 88g
    Fat 66g
    Fibre 23-23
    Calories 1,410
    These were worked out using IIFYM.com. It is impossible to stay under 88g carbs, I have fibro so want to eat a lot of protein to protect my muscle mass, I can't exercise due to this condition either. I just want to loose weight while protecting my muscles, but since doing this way of counting I'm so lathargic and my legs and arms constantly ache! What am I doing wrong?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Protein 122g
    Carbs 88g
    Fat 66g
    Fibre 23-23
    Calories 1,410
    These were worked out using IIFYM.com. It is impossible to stay under 88g carbs, I have fibro so want to eat a lot of protein to protect my muscle mass, I can't exercise due to this condition either. I just want to loose weight while protecting my muscles, but since doing this way of counting I'm so lathargic and my legs and arms constantly ache! What am I doing wrong?

You might do better with more carbs, less fat. Maybe try upping carbs and lowering fat some (not to low fat, but maybe to 50 g to start or something like that). You can focus on eating nutrient dense carbs and slower digesting ones and ones you find filling.

IIFYM also (IMO) overstates the need for protein by a lot. All the reliable sources I've found suggest more like .8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight as sufficient to preserve muscle mass.

Main point is that there's nothing magic about the particular macro ratios that the website IIFYM.com recommends.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    there's nothing magic about the particular macro ratios that the website IIFYM.com recommends.

Restating for emphasis.
  • alisonazaria
    alisonazaria Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally have 20g's of fat left at the end of each day, so that won't be a problem, I'll stop stressing about going over on my carbs a bit now
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

It's easy to hit protein without going over on carbs - look into plain chicken, tuna, shrimp, salmon, steak, etc. Grill with no oil or breading. Or bake!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein 122g
    Carbs 88g
    Fat 66g
    Fibre 23-23
    Calories 1,410

Since you cut cuts, its possible your electrolytes are depleted, especially if sodium isnt high..

Honestly, i wouldnt stress macros too much. If anything, only focus on protein and let the rest fall where it lies