How to let people know you're not a freak? Lol

Options
When I go visit family and they wanna eat junk or drink a soda, they hide and say "we don't wanna tempt you and make you feel bad". Which is nice... but it's almost harder. And I told them it doesn't bother me unless they continue hiding it. And they make fun of me for not eating and drinking that stuff. I feel like they see me as a freak

Replies

• OonaWingedWolf
    OonaWingedWolf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My family also set me up to be heavy but they thought it was the only way to feed me enough because the junk was so cheap and I ate like a horse. I was thin until I had kids now I am battling to lose it. My youngest is going to be 9 this year so it has been an uphill battle. I just got a freezer now to hit the sales for the good stuff lol. I'm eating what I want when I want and just watching my numbers. So far I am down 3 lbs since I started watching myself again 3 weeks ago! Tell your family that what they eat doesn't affect you as long as they aren't trying to make you eat it too. As long as they don't offer it to you every time they have some then they are doing good.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am curious where they are taking their food, hiding and eating it?

This is quite bizzare since you told them they are doing this out necessity. Have another conversation with them or follow them where they are hiding. This would sure annoy them back.
  • ladychris29
    ladychris29 Posts: 4,657 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food. Pack it up and cart it along. And make a show of eating it in front of them. Once they see they can't get to you, they'll stop the bull *kitten*. That worked with my family.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do not really have this problem, as I can have anything my parents and brothers can, my portions are just more likely be far different than theirs is. My mother is straight up beast in the kitchen, though regrettably none of that managed to rub off on me. I can't cook to save my life.

One thing you will quickly learn with family and the rest of the world is that nobody really cares about your dietary regimen, except for you and the diet industry who wants to sell you something. It's up to you to man up and follow your program. I am assuming you are pretty good at navigating family drama at this point in your life, so why is this any different? Develop thick skin and don't worry about what other people might think or develop a complex if they are not accommodating to you. This is about your life, not theirs, so act like it.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I grab a plate of pizza rolls and go full Cookie Monster on 'em.

Do you do it while they're still molten lava hot because that's even more bad *kitten*. Those things take forever to cool off.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My family (brothers, husband, and kids) has a "more for me" attitude. My husband's family was always trying to get me to more or things that straight up make me sick. But both his mother and grandmother passed away in the last 2 years. I miss the grandmother, but holidays are easier.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my family and friends know how i eat. i drink water or diet soda (unless its a beer kind of day LOL)

i have a lot of food OCD issues (always have unfortunately it never translated to eating LESS LMAO) so they were used to me being weird about food.

and when they would ask 'can you have...' yes i can have it. im counting calories not depraving myself of a cookie or hamburger. if i know im going to an event where ill eat more than usual, i plan for it.

and thats just WEIRD them hiding THEIR OWN food to eat. tell them to stop acting weird, its freaking you out.
  • CRiZO
    CRiZO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They will make fun of you out of their own insecurities, and try to keep you on their level.

Has nothing to do with you.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    So, they hide it and you say that makes it harder. They don't hide it, give you a hard time (all in fun, I assume)... basically treat you normally, and complain. Damned if they do, damned if they don't?
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If that's "freak" I'm pretty sure they'd be horrified by my family.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    1.Bring something delicious you enjoy. Eat or drink it in front of them. Offer to share. Don't look like you are missing out.
    2. Leave enough calories for visits to family that allow you to eat some of that food if you want it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Next family gathering just chat with the person in charge of food. Just ask what's on the menu with a friendly and open attitude. Assure him or her that whatever is offered is great...no need to change or hide anything...you have a plan and that's your responsibility.

Families can get weird. All you can do is offer some clarity.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Culture nowadays has normalized a lot of overeating and 'junk' foods (although not inherently unhealthy, the sheer amount and % of diet consisting of them is not typical).