From denial to forgiveness

Options
I felt the need to write this to move forward. So here goes.

I've gained 30 or so pounds, slowly and steadily, in 4 years. But my weight really skyrocketed after losing my relationship last december. I went into full-on, real af, self loathing and good ol' emotional eating. I was in denial, not just about my weight but about my now dead relationship as well. Even though I was the one who ended it, because it didin't have a future, I kept second guessing myself. The insecurity that kept growing along with my thighs disn't help. I started seeing him as this solutions for all my problems. If only I could mend things, if only he would love me, I could finally love myself. I began living in a downward spiral between dwelling on my loss and franticly going to moslty boring or just plain bad dates with other men. I wanted to be needed by someone, but I also wasn't at all ready for another relationship. I was just trying to trick myself into believing that I was.

A couple of nights I binged so hard that I was sick for days. Not just because of the food, I felt sick about what my life, of what I have become.

I met a couple of guys with whom I could maybe see myself with. Nothing became of it, partly because I just stopped responding to their messages after a while. I kept pulling and pushing. I actually considered agreeing to be in a relationship with a man I didn't like at all. I imagined that we would be the kind of couple who were friends rather than lovers. I considered having children with him even though any kind of intimacy between us made me cringe. I saw us sitting on our porch together, old, looking at something but never each other. I snapped out of it quite quickly.

So I'm here, and if you're reading this you know how much that means and what kind of a huge accomplishment this is.

Last week, my former partner reached out to me. He was going to be in town and wanted to see me. I said no. And after saying no, I regretted it a thousand times. But then, I started to feel better. Saying no to him, saying no to something I wished for for so long felt like I had some kind of control again, after all this time. I didn't need him to love me anymore. What mattered most is that I love myself, and I need to start fighting for that love.

It's 30 *kitten* pounds for chrissake!

So I decided that I'm going to ignore all things related to men, dates, potential dates and the ex, and focus 110% on myself. It's time. I'm going to kick these 30 pounfs to the curb and then keep on exercising and living my best life. I really don't care about anything else.

I've been on a diet for the past 5 days and feel better and better every day. I thing I'm starting to forgive myself. I thin I'm starting to heal.

Apart form getting here, I also made a list of treats I'm aloud to have. I replaced sweets and chips and trash with Matcha Lattes, manicures, face masks and days off, because I work too much. I've also printed up a calendar strictly for my weightloss. The plan is to lose the weight by the end of April next year, which gives me just over 6 months. I've set my milestones and wrote in small rewards from my wishlist to keep me motivated. I also already made a plan for next year of active hobbies I have been wanting to pick up for a long time. I am happy, for the first time in a long time.

Please forgive yourself. And if you made it this far share your weightloss motivation with me and others, we need all the help we can get.

xoxo

Replies

• Louve350
    Louve350 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh! I can relate to this! dont give up girl!
  • avocadochampagne
    avocadochampagne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you. We can do this!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    What a great post!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Often when I read people's posts I believe I was drawn to them for a reason. Whether it's to help someone on their journey or to learn something for myself. Today it was both!

As women, many of us believe our worth and value is determined by how much we are loved and valued by other people. It's often hard-wired from childhood and then we become parents and the care-taking continues. My spouse is awesome, loving and supportive but I spend way too much time dwelling, worrying about other members of my family and their relationships (or lack thereof) with each other. Family drama and a whole bunch of BS over which I have no control. I don't spend nearly enough time concentrating on my own self-care or the care of my marriage and that needs to change.

Thanks for the reminder and stay strong and determined!
  • avocadochampagne
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Often when I read people's posts I believe I was drawn to them for a reason. Whether it's to help someone on their journey or to learn something for myself. Today it was both!

As women, many of us believe our worth and value is determined by how much we are loved and valued by other people. It's often hard-wired from childhood and then we become parents and the care-taking continues. My spouse is awesome, loving and supportive but I spend way too much time dwelling, worrying about other members of my family and their relationships (or lack thereof) with each other. Family drama and a whole bunch of BS over which I have no control. I don't spend nearly enough time concentrating on my own self-care or the care of my marriage and that needs to change.

Thanks for the reminder and stay strong and determined!

Thank you ao much. You are absolutely right, we're basically biologically hardwired to take care of others, but this should never translate into ignoring our own needs. At the end of the day, we need to be at piece with ourselves and our lives in order to nurture helathy and meaningful relationships with others. Really glad what I wrote gave you a bit of perspective. We will prevail! :)
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Preach Gurl! Been there and done that. I stress ate/ emotional ate through 3 years of my life. Then continued to lose and gain the same 15 lbs. Every time I gained, I'd be burdened with guilt.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    You are a beautiful girl who deserves so much more than what life (or past relationships have given you). :D
    Congratulations on embracing life now and thinking of yourself.
    While I understand the need to Take control , ease up on the April timeline for your weight loss goal.
    You could be setting yourself up for a fall. :'(
    The mini goals, treats and hobbies are wonderful, and you are really embracing your new life, the problems lay when we place Undue pressure, or unrealistic expectations to lose weight quickly.
    If your desire is permanent weight loss, than it takes time.
    Good luck
  • avocadochampagne
    Options
    You are a beautiful girl who deserves so much more than what life (or past relationships have given you). :D
    Congratulations on embracing life now and thinking of yourself.
    While I understand the need to Take control , ease up on the April timeline for your weight loss goal.
    You could be setting yourself up for a fall. :'(
    The mini goals, treats and hobbies are wonderful, and you are really embracing your new life, the problems lay when we place Undue pressure, or unrealistic expectations to lose weight quickly.
    If your desire is permanent weight loss, than it takes time.
    Good luck

Thank you so much. I plan to lose a total of 55 pounds by mid april, which would mean about a kg/2.2pounds per week. I don't think it's impossible or even strict to be honest, but of course I am taking it one day at a time, just trying to stick to my calorie and weightloss targets. My ultimate goal is to set myself into a good, healthy routine, and get more into working out and not stop after I lose the weight. I have long term fitness goals, plans to pick up new sports but especially get more into hiking, because I love it, but currently don't have the right physical condition for it. I am trying to find a balance between not being so hard on myself but also avoiding slipping up, it's quite tricky. Thanks for your support, wish you the best of luck :*
  • PamRoman61
    PamRoman61 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cheers for one day at a time! Keep posting, keep sharing. We're rooting for you! :)
  • Joster91
    Joster91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goal, I’m sure you’ll smash through it. I battle a bit with myself trying to find reason to want to do what I’m doing now and they were mostly superficial reasons, it wasn’t till I accepted that I needed this for myself and myself only did I actually start making an effort, there is no turning back.
  • lorrainebenj51
    lorrainebenj51 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Inspirational thankyou for yr post amazing
  • avocadochampagne
    Options
    PamRoman61 wrote: »
    Cheers for one day at a time! Keep posting, keep sharing. We're rooting for you! :)

Thank you Pam, such nice words :) Rooting for yoy as well lady! :*
  • avocadochampagne
    Options
    Joster91 wrote: »
    Good luck with your goal, I’m sure you’ll smash through it. I battle a bit with myself trying to find reason to want to do what I’m doing now and they were mostly superficial reasons, it wasn’t till I accepted that I needed this for myself and myself only did I actually start making an effort, there is no turning back.

Thank you. You are so right. During the past 4 years I've kept setting mental weight-loss deadlines for all the wrong reasons. If I had an event coming up, I decided to lose weight to fit into a dress or look good in photos. It of course never happened. The learning is that nothing superficial is worth anything, but you are definitley worth having a happy healthy life. We shall prevail! :)
  • MissKristy35
    MissKristy35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this
  • avocadochampagne
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this

I'm here for support whenever you feel you need it :)
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    LOVE your post! <3 I was in a very similar situation some years ago accept I starved myself instead of binging. Both are bad! Needless to say I snapped out of it when my now husband, then coworker said "do you want to be put on a feeding tube?"....I imagined it ..... because it had gotten that bad, and I said no more. I actually just spoke to the person I was in the relationship with at that time a few days ago and he told me it was my fault.....we are talking about 10 years, a marriage and 3 children later. I giggled inside. Keep moving forward. Just CAN do this and YOU WILL!!!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hey you will succeed I would love to support you on this journey
  • bowtruckle28
    bowtruckle28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring and very relatable! I love your idea to replace your food rewards with other rewards rather than just denying yourself comfort when the emotion waves get too high. All my best to you! ❤
  • leahmarie687
    leahmarie687 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just reading through all these posts.. I can definitely relate. Currently flicking through a slimming world magazine, with a hangover, feeling guilty about the fry up ive just had. I feel like im trapped inside this awful body, cellulite, stretchmarks, 2 c-sections, jelly like skin... Everytime i start my weightloss journey on a monday, by the Thursday i will drink and binge eat... I know i do it to escape but dont know what else to do? How do i get ouy of this cycle? Please help...