Calories intake suggestions???

Options
Can't believe I only have 400 calories left for dinner. All I ate was granola with almond milk, fruits, chicken curry and multigrain flatbread. All healthy. Geez, this is not good. But what else can I do to keep my calories intake low?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Exercise, then you’ll have more calories

Also healthy does not always mean low in calories, especially when it comes to granola and some fruits.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Granola, unless you only have 2 grams, is a calorie bomb... but you can see that from what you've logged.

You can get a decent portion of meat and veg for 400 cals.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise. Then you get to eat more.

Also: granola with almonds may be "healthy", whatever that means, but it's not typically low calorie.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Some serious "healthy" calorie bombs, there. A big salad with a lean protein for dinner and try again tomorrow.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For dinner - scrambled eggs loaded with veggies - low cal, healthy and filling. And as the others have said - healthy doesn't always equal low calorie. There's lots of very high calorie "healthy" food - as you've seemed to have found.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    pdeep20 wrote: »
    Can't believe I only have 400 calories left for dinner. All I ate was granola with almond milk, fruits, chicken curry and multigrain flatbread. All healthy. Geez, this is not good. But what else can I do to keep my calories intake low?

Granola is a backpacking favorite for a reason... major calorie bomb (it is fried, sugar-coated oats after all). (The other stuff on that list isn't particular low-calorie-density either).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I also find it weird that granola is so often associated with healthy-ness. That doesn't normally happen when we douse other food items in sugar and fat and then cook them.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have lots of filling meals in the 400 calorie range.

Some examples:
    1/4 box of protein plus spaghetti, 2 tbsp romano cheese, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast - 403 calories
    1 cup of cooked rice, 1 can of tuna, 2 tbsp barbeque sauce - 372 calories
    Baked potato, 1 oz cheese, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1 egg cooked however - 330 calories

When I'm feeling lazy, I honestly usually just roast an entire package of broccoli, cauliflower, or brussel sprouts with like 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and garlic salt... super filling, usually like <200 calories. I have also gorged myself on half a steamed cabbage with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast (grated cheese would also work).
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    pdeep20 wrote: »

I did not see one vegetable listed here. Have a big salad or some steamed vegetables with your meal or snack. They're good for you, low in calories, will fill you up and are slow to digest so they keep your hunger at bay longer.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If I might chime in....

I would be interested in two-ish things:
    1. How many calories a day? And, is that caloric value deficit, maintenance or surplus?
    2. What does your "caloric consumption" look like each day (read: what do you eat)?

Also, keep in mind that TDEE is comprised of several things, not just BMR and PA. There is also NEAT and TEF.
  • pdeep20
    pdeep20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I do exercise at least three times a week but I never watched my calories. I just started doing that and I am stunned that most healthy listed food have even higher calories so I am really thankful to you all for the helping comments.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I love granola. I get the high protein with chocolate one. Is probably the most "unhealthy" staple food item I keep in stock. I only eat half a serving at a time and I put it over yogurt and fruit. I think it nature valley. I figure if I'm gonna spend that many calories I wanna get protein and chocolate out of it. Lmao!!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Most "healthy" food is lower calorie. Be wary of food that claims it's "healthy". Look at labels. Ingredients if you care about that sort of thing. If it fits into your goals, then it's a go. I've seen chocolate chip muffins claim to be healthy. I'm not saying not to eat one if you want to.. But I wouldn't classify them as a "health" food.

Also look at serving sizes. Those shocked me initially. weigh your food. You'll get a more accurate picture of a true serving size that way.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I eat mostly healthy and my diary is open to friends.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Most "healthy" food is lower calorie. Be wary of food that claims it's "healthy". Look at labels. Ingredients if you care about that sort of thing. If it fits into your goals, then it's a go. I've seen chocolate chip muffins claim to be healthy. I'm not saying not to eat one if you want to.. But I wouldn't classify them as a "health" food.

Also look at serving sizes. Those shocked me initially. weigh your food. You'll get a more accurate picture of a true serving size that way.

I just wanted to point out that many nutritious foods are calorie dense, one has nothing to do with the other. Avocados, nuts and seeds, whole grains, salmon all "healthy" but important to watch portions. That's why you want to weigh them out :)