Tracking Micronutrients?

Options
I am really trying to dial in my diet and supplement regimen. I'd like to understand how my supplements affect my overall weight, health, etc. I noticed MFP only lets you track certain ones - like vitamin C, D, Calcium, etc.. Is there any way to track my other vitamins?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't find mfp accurate for micronutrients at all - there is limited/varied information available on packaged foods. The few micronutrients available can be included on nutrition panels, but aren't always...

What you eat and what you actually absorb isn't possible to determine either.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP’s values are not accurate. I like to track potassium, but that’s not included in every entry, so oftentimes it says I have had less potassium than I really did. As far as I know, you can’t add nutrients in other than the ones it gives as an option. You could do it manually in the notes, but if ya not something MFP tracks, you’ll have to look it up for each food yourself.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The data entries are unreliable. The only way you will know your levels is to get a blood test. Frankly for the micros I don't think you need a daily report; twice a year should be plenty.

The vitamin D test is more expensive and if you are like the majority of North Americans you are likely deficient. You get natural vitamin D from sunlight. Lots of sunlight.

Trying to figure out how your supplements are affecting your weight loss is majoring in the minors. You would have to eat the exact amount of macros every day to figure out if the micros are making any difference at all.