Maintaining weight

Options
Hi all, this is the first time I've written here so hope I'm in the right place. I have lost a total of just over 4 stone and now looking to maintain. Was wondering if any of you had opinions on dieting 5 days and having weekends off. Hope you can give me a few ideas.

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sadly the science of maintaining is much the same as the science of losing weight... you just have more calories to play with!

But figuring out a daily number for Monday to Friday and a different number for the weekend while still being within your weekly calorie number is TOTALLY allowed!

Have you already worked out what your maintenance calories are?

(MASSIVE congrats on the loss too!)
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I’m 4/5 lbs off target (lost 96lbs so far) and then I’m switching to maintaining! I too need advise! Well done on your loss!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If "spending" your weekly maintenance calorie allowance that way makes life easier/happier/suits you then go for it.

You may have to accept bigger than usual weight fluctuations and therefore a wider maintenance weight range. Might be best not to do your weigh in on the Monday.
  • julief63
    julief63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the replies and the congrats. This is the part I personally find more difficult, Good luck and well done all, heres hoping it all works for us.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with working with a weekly calorie allowance, and splitting is as you like, rather than sticking to the same amount every day. Just make sure that you're logging everything, even at the weekends, to make sure that you're not going over your weekly total, otherwise your weight may start to creep up again slowly. And after working hard to lose 4 stone I'm sure you're not in a hurry to gain it back!

Remember that the allowance MFP gives you is an estimate and you'll need to experiment and find out what works for you. I recommend regularly monitoring your weight and using a weight trending app so that you can get an idea of what's happening and make adjustments as required - you may need more calories, you may need less. But you need your own data (from weighing and accurate logging) to know.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to have a maintenance range and not one number to account for fluctuations.
  • kalchthaleri
    kalchthaleri Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Name: Ingrid
    Height: 5'4
    Total Weight lost: 210.5
    Time it took to lose: 3 years and 6 months
    How long in maintenance: 6 months
    Maintenance weight range: 128-135

Average weight recorded from January: 135
    Average weight recorded from February: 132
    Average weight recorded from March: 132
    Average weight recorded from April: 132
    Average weight recorded from May: 132
    Average weight recorded from June: 130.6
    Average weight recorded from July: 131.5
    Average weight recorded from August: 128.75
    Average weight recorded from September 128.24

Week of October 6: 125.5
    Week of October 13: 127.5
    Week of October 20:
    Week of October 27:

Struggles/successes of the week:

Thursday night: it’s Thursday night again...blah. Tomorrow is weigh in and so I am anxious. Saturday I had a binge. It was bad but not too bad. And I kept it mostly healthy and didn’t have to finish everything. So again, more controlled binging- but still, it’s the “why” that bothers me. Why can’t I eat to enjoy food instead of eating when I am upset. Why does food have to be such an enemy in my head? Had a great workout week so far. I feel less tired when I work out, more invigorated, and I am starting to see exercise as helpful and fun, not as punishment or something to obsess over or get through. If only eating right could be same! Haha!
    So we’ll see what the scale says tomorrow...but this is how I feel tonight: anxious and worried, as always.

Friday morning:
    Under my goal. It’s okay for another week. Up 2 lbs. from last week, but still under weight goal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    julief63 wrote: »
    Hi all, this is the first time I've written here so hope I'm in the right place. I have lost a total of just over 4 stone and now looking to maintain. Was wondering if any of you had opinions on dieting 5 days and having weekends off. Hope you can give me a few ideas.

That is exactly what I do to maintain (over 1.5 years now)
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I haven't been trying to maintain but have been stuck at the same weight give or take a pound or two for six months. I will be 229 one day, then 231 the next.. back and forth. Never go over my 1560 per day... weigh my food on scale... drink water.. no alcohol... but it's cool as I'm not gaining... so just my body maintaining I figure. But I'm 5' 11 guy and don't wish to eat less than I am at 1560! I'm thinking it's my Celebrex that I started taking a few months back because I joined MFP May 2016 and lost dramatically until six months ago.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    @ekim2016 Stuck at the same weight give or take a pound or two for six months is maintaining.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @julief63 Lots of people look at their weekly calories instead of focusing on the daily calorie goal. As long as it balances out it is fine to eat a lower goal during the week and a higher goal on the weekend.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Another one who looks at their weekly calories instead of daily for maintenance I've been doing that for almost four years.
  • kgirlhart
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @ekim2016 Sorry, when I first read your post I thought you said you were trying to maintain.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Reset your stats in MFP and set to MAINTAIN rather than lose. See how many calories it gives you and eat to that level. Sure, you can eat a little less on some days and more on others, but you should try to average out over the week. As said upthread, set a 5-10 lb range to maintain, because fluctuations will be even more noticeable since they're not offset by ongoing losses. When you get to the top or bottom of the range, adjust your calories by 100-200 per day until you're back in range. Maintenance is a continual adjustment process.