Runners- need advice, losing motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I agree that you are running too fast. Slow things down, try and maintain a pace that you could hold a conversation, or sing. If you feel strong later on then push the pace up. Better to start slow and finish strong than start too fast and crash and not be able to continue. For me I find the first 2 or 3 miles of any run the worst, after that I get past the struggle part, hit my rythm and can keep going. So don't listen to your head wanting to stop, just slow things down, maybe not as far as a walk - as once I've walked once I struggle to get going again and will walk many times. Slow, gentle and enjoy yourself. My running really is my sanity, my little bubble of time when I empty my head and just go. So have fun, and don't be too hard on yourself, remember every day is different and some days you struggle, some days you fly. Just enjoy the chance to get out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    ***here are my times
    April- 44:47
    August- 36:00
    Today- 38:37

Training pace- 13:15 to 13:45min miles... I go slow and I have slowed down a few months ago

As you're only running twice per week, for a total of 8 miles you're not doing enough long, steady, volume to get any real benefit. The majority of the advice, in fact all of the advice from the experienced runners, has been to add volume. You're doing less volume now than when you finished C25K. It should be no surprise that you're not making gains in speed.

Add an additional running day. It's been previously suggested that you use the Bridge to 10K plan, which I'd continue to support.

With respect to the numbness, this is sounding like something to do with your gait. It may be, as you highlight, that your weight is a factor. As long as it's not painful, it's something to work through.

Fwiw, whilst I agree with the points above about race pace cf training pace as you're not doing much mileage is not a particularly relevant point to worry about. I've made the observation in one of your other threads about overcomplicating things. Where you are just now, it's only really a question of going out and running.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ***here are my times
    April- 44:47
    August- 36:00
    Today- 38:37

Training pace- 13:15 to 13:45min miles... I go slow and I have slowed down a few months ago

As you're only running twice per week, for a total of 8 miles you're not doing enough long, steady, volume to get any real benefit. The majority of the advice, in fact all of the advice from the experienced runners, has been to add volume. You're doing less volume now than when you finished C25K. It should be no surprise that you're not making gains in speed.

Add an additional running day. It's been previously suggested that you use the Bridge to 10K plan, which I'd continue to support.

With respect to the numbness, this is sounding like something to do with your gait. It may be, as you highlight, that your weight is a factor. As long as it's not painful, it's something to work through.

Fwiw, whilst I agree with the points above about race pace cf training pace as you're not doing much mileage is not a particularly relevant point to worry about. I've made the observation in one of your other threads about overcomplicating things. Where you are just now, it's only really a question of going out and running.

I actually did start the bridge to 10K, but numbness got in the way at certain points, so, as I understood it, I just needed to slowly increase my mileage each week, which I was doing, but at a slower rate and only twice a week so I guess now I'm understanding that I'm not doing as much as I thought I was each week.

As far as my gait, there are times I get a runners high and do a little sprint maybe once a week, and, no lie, if I have any tiny bit of numbness, once I speed up I think my feet land differently and I no longer have numb feet! Even in races I don't get numbness, something I do with how I land at slower speeds outside doesn't agree with me, it's weird. Overall since the numbness is so minimal now and barely there I just fear that increasing it will bring back those problems, but I'll push aside my fear and add a 3rd day!! Maybe I'll run one day a week on the treadmill to recover from the road? Again thanks for your advice, I swear I think I know what I'm doing, then learn what I'm doing wrong and have to work on it again!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Everyone has good days and less good days. Not every time will be a PB. AND YES, 93% humidity will majorly affect you!

Two very important thoughts here. First, you can't always run your fastest. Trying to do so is a sure road to injury.

Second, even in races you won't always run a personal best. Just because you didn't equal your best time for a distance doesn't mean you had a bad run.

I concur with the advice on adding volume. Most of the volume should be easy running, which will probably feel slow to you. How slow, numerically? Eh, I can't answer that. Different runners have different easy paces. But you should not be running training runs as fast as you can race a 5K.
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Everyone has good days and less good days. Not every time will be a PB. AND YES, 93% humidity will majorly affect you!

Two very important thoughts here. First, you can't always run your fastest. Trying to do so is a sure road to injury.

Second, even in races you won't always run a personal best. Just because you didn't equal your best time for a distance doesn't mean you had a bad run.

I concur with the advice on adding volume. Most of the volume should be easy running, which will probably feel slow to you. How slow, numerically? Eh, I can't answer that. Different runners have different easy paces. But you should not be running training runs as fast as you can race a 5K.

Okay I understand, I'll keep that in mind too
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I used to worry more about my time and doing better, etc. Now I just run and whatever happens, happens. My times vary; sometimes slower, sometimes a bit quicker. Some runs, I feel as if I'm flying; sometimes I feel as if I'm slogging through waist-high mud. Some runs seem easy; others are a real effort.

The thing that will make you stronger is to keep at it. Do what you need to do to keep numb-free. That's your pace and distance for now. Go from there and see how things progress.

I heard, years ago, that doing something twice a week maintains your level; doing it three times a week slowly improves your level. It was in reference to going to a gym but probably applies to running as well.

For now, enjoy the running, listen to your body and relax. You're running; that's all that matters.
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »
    What do you listen to as you run? A lot of running is mental and if you are bored you will feel more tired. I know a lot of people listen to their favorite music or audio books to keep them entertained. I use the Zombies Run! App to give me a story and some ... unusual motivators to stay running. Once you convince your mind to stay running the muscles will follow. You already have the ability to run a 5k, now just don't let your brain talk you out of it.
    As far as the numb toes I always get that when I lace my shoes too tight. Lace them a titch less than what you think is good and I bet it will help. Be sure you also have running shoes that were fitted to your feet or you will run into problems (no pun intended)
    Also, if you want to get faster, run farther. I'm not talking about a marathon or anything but if you start training for a 10k you will notice your 5k time improve. Just remember how you practice is how you perform. If you give yourself a bunch of breaks in training you will take them on race day too.
    Finally, cut yourself some slack. You won't have a PB every time you run and some runs will make you feel like an Olympian while others will feel worse than when you first started running. Keep at it. Weather will play a serious factor in your performance as well. I'm in Northern California so any time I get humidity I think I'm going to die and my running is much slower lol.
    As far as motivation, remember why you started running. Think about those moments when you run and it almost feels like you could fly and you could just go on forever. Chase those sunsets and sunrises and remember why you put on your running shoes in the first place. Finally when you come home look at yourself in the mirror and recognize yourself for the boss you are. You are a runner, fast or slow long or short you are a runner and that makes you awesome.

Keep going :)

I love Zombies Run!! It's what got me started & keeps me coming back.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge advocate of run/walk - but you have to stick to the intervals - they are designed to have you walk before you get so tired that your form slips (which can lead to heaviness in legs down the road). Even on short runs i do intervals (they might be slightly longer - 4:1, rather than 3:1). I did a 15 mile training run last week with a 3:1 interval and an 11:40 min mile avg - its very mental

as to the numbness - is it a certain place on your feet? overall? left side? ride side? ball of foot? heel?
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    i'm a huge advocate of run/walk - but you have to stick to the intervals - they are designed to have you walk before you get so tired that your form slips (which can lead to heaviness in legs down the road). Even on short runs i do intervals (they might be slightly longer - 4:1, rather than 3:1). I did a 15 mile training run last week with a 3:1 interval and an 11:40 min mile avg - its very mental

as to the numbness - is it a certain place on your feet? overall? left side? ride side? ball of foot? heel?

Usually starts under the ball of my right foot, and a tad in the toes- that's what happened with my run today, sometimes it's both feet, it used to me my entire right foot and partial left foot including the toes... once I do my 1min walk after each mile, any numbness is gone and most of the time I don't notice it in my last mile... the only thing I don't like with run/walk is that when I start to run again after a walk, my time is always shorter than the previous mile by about 40 seconds
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    Holy cow I feel like I discovered something!!.. my run today was rough, which I figured it would be as it took almost a week after the 5k to not be in any pain, and I have some lingering numbness I can feel in my one foot... after the 5k last week my calf muscles were so tight! I just tried massaging my calf and the numbness jolted my foot! When I rub my calfs I feel numbness intensify! My first thought is a foam roller, would that be a good idea? I've never used one but I'm trying to think of something to help
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I love Zombies Run!! It's what got me started & keeps me coming back.

Hey there runner 5! Stay safe out there :) are you in the Halloween mission?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller. It helps a lot with tightness in my quads and hamstrings.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Holy cow I feel like I discovered something!!.. my run today was rough, which I figured it would be as it took almost a week after the 5k to not be in any pain, and I have some lingering numbness I can feel in my one foot... after the 5k last week my calf muscles were so tight! I just tried massaging my calf and the numbness jolted my foot! When I rub my calfs I feel numbness intensify! My first thought is a foam roller, would that be a good idea? I've never used one but I'm trying to think of something to help

A foam roller is on my list of essential gear. It has helped my calves like nothing else.

I highly recommend this one: https://www.tptherapy.com/category/grid_rollers

I also have several hand held ones I use every day.