HAS ANYONE STARTED C25K RECENTLY

Options
I have never been a runner or athletic in any way, shape, or form but after reading about the C25K I have decided to get my butt off the couch and try it. My daughter and I started Week 1 Day 1 yesterday and although it was pretty hard. It was not unbearable. I do have to say that my legs were burning and being the size that I am I was out of breath but that is a good thing! I think??? :tongue: I really need help and support to try to finish this, so if anyone would like to do this together please friend me so that we can encourage each other. Also, has anyone finished the program? How was it for your?

Replies

• Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    just bought an MP3 player last night so I can download and start this up as well...hopefully the first workout won't kill me! I live where at the end of my street about 5 minutes away are like 50 miles of paved hiking/biking trails, might as well use them !
  • staceyo1211
    Options
    I did week 2 day 2 yesterday. I like it so far. Ive never been a runner but by the time this program is over I hope to be. Good luck!
  • phoenix113
    phoenix113 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday as well. We can cheer each other on!
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 3 yesterday. Ill send you a friend request! The main thing is to take it slow. If you over do it, youll get discouraged. I was sweating like a pig after my first run and it only gets sweatier (is that even a word?!?! haha)

Either way, take it slow and youll be able to do just fine!!!

Jessica
  • vintagefool
    Options
    I started yesterday, too! I'm very excited about this program, I've never been able to run a full mile without stopping to catch my breath, even when young (:blushing: ), so the idea of a 5k seems insane to me now, but definitely worth the hard effort. Sending you a friend request now!
  • aprilh203
    aprilh203 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on week... I don't know, but am running 22 of 30 min this week. When I started I NEVER believed I could do this but each week I suprise myself. Stick with it. You will amaze and inspire yourself as you see the progress you make each week in your weightloss and overall cardio ability. Also, if you are looking for music adn a playlist to motivate you, try jog.fm. It gives good suggestions for bpm for different paces (like 130 bpm for a 5mph pace) but if you know thre is a certain song that pushes you, look for songs with the same beats per minute. You may not have the same cadence as everyone else, so try what works best for you. Best of luck. You will do great!!
  • mice152
    mice152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started this summer and am on week 8 day 3 - 28 min run. This program totally works. I had some days where I was sore but nothing that wasn't manageable. I've had many days of "Jesus get me through this because I can't do it" and just WAITING for the podcast to tell me I could stop running but it does get easier and your body does start running. A huge part of it has been changing my mindset from couch potato to "I'm a runner," and "I wanna run."

FYI - I've never been a runner or athletic by any means. I hated running in PE and I'm finding it oddly liberating to tell people that I'm running now or telling my kids that I'm going out for my run in the mornings.
  • lbehm
    lbehm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am basically done it as we speak. I can now run 5 K albeit very slowly. My race is in 8 weeks so I am focussed on running 5 K 3 times a week and just getting faster (hopefully!). The program is awesome, when I started I could barely do the first week. I repeated some weeks or took more than 1 week to get a week done.
  • melmarler
    Options
    I am just finishing week 6. I hadn't seriously run for 20 years. It is challenging but so worth it. If you have to do 4 days of a week or repeat a week, do it. Running is as much mental as physical. When you think you can't take another step, tell you mind that 'YES YOU CAN' and do it. I am now running 25 minutes and the first 5 minutes of every run about kills me but I just keep moving. I also chant my running mantra "size 6, size 6, size 6.....".
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    Just started today, in the midst of a sinus infection and not feeling so good. But I did finish today's exercise. Not so sure how often I will have the time to do it, was off of work two days so found the time during the day.

Good luck and enjoy as you endure each day's challenge!:flowerforyou:

Joyful in the journey . . . song2sing!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started this summer and am on week 8 day 3 - 28 min run. This program totally works. I had some days where I was sore but nothing that wasn't manageable. I've had many days of "Jesus get me through this because I can't do it" and just WAITING for the podcast to tell me I could stop running but it does get easier and your body does start running. A huge part of it has been changing my mindset from couch potato to "I'm a runner," and "I wanna run."

FYI - I've never been a runner or athletic by any means. I hated running in PE and I'm finding it oddly liberating to tell people that I'm running now or telling my kids that I'm going out for my run in the mornings.

That is just awesome. It IS liberating! You go!

I did week one, day one today.
  • dclove0912
    dclove0912 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to cool down/stretch out after! It makes a huge difference in how sore I am later. I got all the way up to week 7 and then hurt my back really bad (not from running.) I loved the program so much and am SO BUMMED that I'm not allowed to run anymore :( (bum knee)
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi Tere
    Its a great thing that you started this. you are gonna huff and puff at first since you have never done this. but putting one foot in front of the other is where u start.
    I am on week 7, and its a challenge bt its great. (I have a 3 month old baby so I'm trying to bonce back) I did not think I would make it this far bt I have.
    I was a former long distance runner so I have some tips.
    Take your time but always challenge yourself. What I mean is you will hit some hard walls but you can psh just a bit frther everytime.
    1-py attention to yor breathing. You should be breathing calmly no matter how hard your nody is working, not saying its easy it just takes time to get there but you will. when youare running always breathe in and out deeply.
    2- do not slouch, it can hurt your back and will make it harder to run
    3- look forward and not at the ground
    4- keep arms and upper body loose do not ball p your fists.

You will learn more as you run, and everyones body is different,

Good luck, running is very therapeutic
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 3 yesterday. Ill send you a friend request! The main thing is to take it slow. If you over do it, youll get discouraged. I was sweating like a pig after my first run and it only gets sweatier (is that even a word?!?! haha)

Either way, take it slow and youll be able to do just fine!!!

Jessica

I just started week 3 yesterday too! I never dreamed I'd be doing this, but it is such a rush! I'm at 275 lbs so truly, this is a challenge, but I focus on my breathing more than anything, and my pace is slow, but I'm doing it! So excited for you!

Feel free to add me!
  • tererob
    tererob Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips... they are really appreciated. I know I can do this!
  • tererob
    tererob Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips... they are really appreciated. I know I can do this!
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm going to do my very first C25K workout today! I just uploaded the app for the iPhone a few minutes ago! I'm excited to try it out, yet nervous that I won't be able to do it at the same time. I have NEVER been a runner, and haven't been anywhere close to athletic since 7th grade (nearly 20 yrs ago!) I am currently at my heaviest weight I have ever been in my life and I'm ready to get it off.

I always see people out running and think "Man, must be nice to have that kind of motivation" Well, I want to be one of those people - so I WILL BE!!

Good Luck to everyone!!
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just started it! Doing week 1 day 3 tomorrow!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! Feel free to add me! We can all support each other in this C25K madness. LOL
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    W3D2 tomorrow. Am not really enjoying this but I am succeeding. I am glad I went to a running store and got fitted for shoes though!

Cheers,

Sean
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have done Week 1 day 1 twice. The first was really just a test to see if I could do it. I am going to do Day 2 tonight. So far I am liking it and I think it will be a very good program.