Concerned about HANGING Flab...

Options
I have a goal to lose at least 50 lbs before 2012 .. however, I am terrified of hanging skin. Is it avoidable?? At what point would I have to turn my focus to toning to prevent this? I don't have stretch marks anywhere but my stomach (had 3 kids and gained over 50lbs with each pregnancy..), does that make a difference in the hanging flab? Help...

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd start strength training/cardio combo right off the bat. Both will help burn the fat, and the strength training will help keep that skin tight since your muscles will be building.

Thats what I did the whole time I've been losing weight, and at 23 pounds down, I'm smaller then I've ever been and have no hanging skin anywhere.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing...I went from 185 pounds to 138 pounds so far, and my tummy does hang, just a little but not too bad. If you're not already adding toning and stregnthening to your routine, I'd start now. I'm afraid nothing I do will take it all away but it does look better than before. I'd rather be smaller with a little extra skin then know I have pounds and pounds of fat surrounding my organs. We put our bodies thru hell to have our children and just have to remember they are worth and we are all beautiful, stretch marks or none, a little extra skin or tight as a whistle...you're beautiful just the way you are. Good luck on your journey.
  • lplautz
    lplautz Posts: 19
    Options
    What kind of strength exercising would you suggest?? I am in the same boat...want to lose 50lbs from pregnancy. I assume crunches and curls. I love previous posters message...I gained a lot with my daughter but wouldn't change anything!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Skin is very elastic but you have to take care of it. 50lbs is not so much that you should have too much to be concerned about. Make sure you are drinking tons of water all the time.
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    Have you tried weight lifting? I used to have the same fear, but I've since started lifting weights and it's made a difference. Hope this helps.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go with the strength as well as cardio, and do it for your whole body (legs, core, arms etc). AND lose slowly to give your skin time to adjust and keep your skin well hydrated. You will still have some loose skin, but maximize what you do to control it. PS you are young, so in the long run you will be surprised how well your skin will respond if you take care of it.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! Drinking lots of water is a huge issue for me.. I am right now weaning myself from soda; I have at least 12oz of it daily but beginning tomorrow am switching to another way to get my caffeine (most likely unsweet tea which I really like).
  • chantihayes
    Options
    Also, I'm afraid of "bulking up" too much... is that a real concern to have or am I ridiculous?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! Drinking lots of water is a huge issue for me.. I am right now weaning myself from soda; I have at least 12oz of it daily but beginning tomorrow am switching to another way to get my caffeine (most likely unsweet tea which I really like).
    Use lots of good lotion on your skin too.
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    Don't worry about bulking up. I've been lifting weights and I look very tone and lean. Women aren't designed to be buff LOL! Watch your sugar intake and concentrate on cardio and toning. Pretty soon your body will be lean and less flabby.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i wanna know too
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm afraid of "bulking up" too much... is that a real concern to have or am I ridiculous?

Your not being ridiculous, but you won't bulk. Women aren't designed to bulk and the ones that do are generally on some type of steroid..

If you haven't weight trained before, I'd suggest talking to a trainer if you belong to a gym or check out bodybuilding.com.. those are two good sources.

Start out slow with the weights and move up... and eventually you'll be looking fabulous!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

It's not a real concern :) Women have to work extremely hard to develop bulky muscles, and even then do not resemble men.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    Don't worry about bulking up. I've been lifting weights and I look very tone and lean. Women aren't designed to be buff LOL! Watch your sugar intake and concentrate on cardio and toning. Pretty soon your body will be lean and less flabby.

Thank you :)

Everyone :)
  • chantihayes
    Options

It's not a real concern :) Women have to work extremely hard to develop bulky muscles, and even then do not resemble men.

LOL I like how you skirted telling me im ridiculous ;) heehee
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

2 things....
    12 oz of water is not enough. you should be drinking at the very least 64oz but I recommend more than that.

Bulking - IMPOSSIBLE for what you are looking to do. I lift heavy 6 days a week and I've dropped in size drastically. Women do not have the hormones to BULK. It take countless hours in the gym, lifting really heavy and being on very strict meal plans to gain size. Do not let that be a fear...it is the biggest myth and it makes me so sad when women won't lift weights because of it.
  • susanb_16
    susanb_16 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump