fresh veggies on the MFP database

Options
bobbiedr
bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
Let me be the first to say, I love MFP. However, trying to log fresh veggies is almost impossible.

Unless I get them from a brand (bag of baby carrots from green giant, lettuce from fresh express, etc) that has nutrition info on them, I have the HARDEST time trying to find the right calorie count for any fresh veggies that I eat.

For instance, last night I had grilled peppers & onions with a few spritz of EVOO. I didn't mix them with anything else, so I had a hard time finding the right cal count. I also eat grilled fresh asparagus a lot and I can't seem to find the right calorie count.

Anyone else have problems with this? How do you fix it?

Replies

• jsjohnst
    jsjohnst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I eat those frequently. I just pick what ever is the closest to what I ate.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I can always find them in the database. Just search "red pepper raw", weigh or measure, then cook. We roast veggies all the time during the summer and I find it pretty easy to log.
  • k8wilson
    k8wilson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When you type the name of the veggie always type "raw" also. It usually helps me find the right thing.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    if I don't know the calories for a given food I always check it against CalorieKing.com
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale, invest in one or make sure to measure out by cups (though weight in grams is usually the easiest way to track imo). Just enter it all as "raw" veggies and any oils used in cooking separately. If it's something you make regularly just log it as a recipe so it's faster and easier to log the next time you cook.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    When you type the name of the veggie always type "raw" also. It usually helps me find the right thing.

This. The only thing I haven't been able to find is sugar snap peas.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Weigh them, burn them in a calorimeter, and apply the correct equations to the water temperature differential and remains. Bam, instant calorie count! :D