Wanting to lose 30lbs by December. Possible?

Options
I am 5' 2" and currently weigh 166 lbs. I enjoy doing 30 minute workouts from YouTube eating healthy is kinda hard due money problems. I can eat healthy but it'll be like fake turkey and banana shakes made with cheap milk, frozen salmon, food like that meh :/ I don't really like running at all. I really enjoy the youtube videos like I said. Any advice? 30lbs is a lot I'm just wanting to know if any one else was able to lose this much weight in this short amount of time??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not in a healthy way. Aim for a pound a week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    In 6-7 weeks? Yes it's impossible. Why the rush?

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Why the big hurry? At your weight you can reasonably expect to lose 1 pound a week average, maybe 1.5. You don't want to burn yourself out striving for an unattainable goal. Frozen fruits and veggies are affordable and every bit as healthy as the more expensive fresh options. Lean chicken is relatively inexpensive. Canned tuna is also a good protein source, as are eggs.
  • Lee_an
    Lee_an Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Most one can safely lose is about 2.5lb a week, and thats kinda extreme. 1-1.5lb a week seems to be the average from what I've seen around here.
    So... 2 weeks left in Oct, 4 in Nov.. = 6 weeks... Most you can expect to lose would be about 15lbs.. after the initial water weight lose anyway.

I'm not a trainer, nor any kind of expert. Just what I've gathered with online research. So take my advice with a grain of salt.
  • amrwills
    amrwills Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in 13 weeks last year but I gained most of it back afterwards, because what I was doing was unsustainable. I learned a lot from that and this time I am being realistic, I’m making habits that I can stick to forever so I don’t fall off again. It really sucks putting on weight after working really hard to lose it, wish I had listened to all the advice the first time!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know I shouldn't be in a rush I just am sick of being this unhealthy weight! I'll take my time and not worry so much about WHEN to lose it I guess

There you go.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I just lost 35lbs in 12 weeks

but I had a start weight of 290 and a TDEE of 2760 so eating 2000 was easy

Someone your size, maybe try a pound a week? Not gonna be good going for 2lb+
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Happy to hear you've adjusted your expectations towards a healthy weightloss rate!

Now I just want to address some other stuff in your post.

I think it's smart of you to stick to workout videos if you don't like running. You don't have to run.

I think eating healthy is hard because of some misconceptions - that healthy food is expensive and tasteless. "Health food" is expensive - if you go for organic, prepped, hyped food with outrageous claims on the front of the package, you're paying extra to feel hip, trendy, busy, conscientious, rich. Getting enough, nutritious food, can be really cheap. There is nothing wrong with frozen foods, and what exactly is cheap milk? Real food prepared correctly has great taste, but not the kind of taste that junk food has, it takes time and repeated exposure, and a positive attitude, to get used to.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Vast majority of my veggies are frozen. I bulk buy large bags that cost me £1
    I buy whatever fruit is cheapest at my local market. In summer I can get 3 punnets of strawberries for £1
    I buy meat on sale and freeze what I don't need immediately and nothing wrong with the cheaper frozen fish when I'm using it in stews or cooked in a sauce
    Staples like rice, beans, pasta etc I buy in large bags and store

I'm glad you've adjusted your expectations. Slower loss is better on the body and allows you to learn appropriate portion sizes as you go
    Nothing wrong with fitness dvds. Your diet is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness and well being. You should eat back those exercise calories ( most seem to pick 50% as the burn rates on here are overestimated )