Sleep and weight loss?

Options
Me and my bf work overnights and we have two kids. One is only 9 weeks old and the other is 2. So needless to say, we don’t get much sleep. I’ve heard from a lot of people that not getting enough sleep can hinder your weight loss journey, is this really true? And if so, how much? I’ve been doing this for about a month now and have not lost 1lb even. I’ve cut out sugar, drink only water, eating eat cleaner, etc. I think the most sleep I get is 6 hours but usually less. And even then it’s chunks of time here and there. I don’t think there’s any changing my sleeping schedule right now.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep can make you want to eat too much. What you eat has also only an indirect effect on weight loss. If you eat at a calorie deficit, you lose weight.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I used to work two shifts a day years ago. Many days I wouldn't sleep at all. I would need to eat six meals a day on that schedule. So for me yes it would hinder but I guess I was also burning more too.
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My LO is 9mth old and has never slept through the night. I sleep when I can, going to bed by 8pm most week nights and my husband helps with some of the nighttime feeds. I am still losing my 0.5-1lb a week.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I felt like it was stalling my weight loss. I was eating good and working out. I hit a plateau for a couple of weeks. When i noticed i was only getting max 4-5 hours a week i figure it didn't hurt to try and sleep more. Within 3 or 4 days of sleeping 7-8 (mostly 7, 8 hours were a luxury) weight started falling off again. I don't know if it happens to everyone but it did for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Kwee91 wrote: »
    Me and my bf work overnights and we have two kids. One is only 9 weeks old and the other is 2. So needless to say, we don’t get much sleep. I’ve heard from a lot of people that not getting enough sleep can hinder your weight loss journey, is this really true? And if so, how much? I’ve been doing this for about a month now and have not lost 1lb even. I’ve cut out sugar, drink only water, eating eat cleaner, etc. I think the most sleep I get is 6 hours but usually less. And even then it’s chunks of time here and there. I don’t think there’s any changing my sleeping schedule right now.

Here is the bigger question, how many calories are you eating? Are you using a food scale? Do you exercise? Do you breast feed?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Insufficient sleep (less than 5-6 hours per 24 hours) over the long term = not enough of the hormone leptin and too much of the hormone ghrelin, which leads to over-eating. There are a lot data out there, and this provides a summary: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060112p48.shtml

With a newborn, basically you all are in survival mode ... do what you can to be sure that the food you eat is nutritious. As you know, the feeding every two hours mode won't last indefinitely. Be kind to yourself :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I knew my sleep sucked but my fitbit shows of the last 12 months only 1 month averaged over 4-5 hours of sleep a night...and it was only 5.5 LOL.

Im working on it >.> To much life happening
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I notice a direct correlation between lack of sleep and hunger. On the days i had a crappy sleep the night before, i am ravenous the next day and constantly on the search for carby foods. This coupled with zero energy makes it incredibly hard to stay in a deficit.
    sjd421 wrote: »
    My LO is 9mth old and has never slept through the night. I sleep when I can, going to bed by 8pm most week nights and my husband helps with some of the nighttime feeds. I am still losing my 0.5-1lb a week.

Don't forget full term, healthy weight babies don't need night feeds after 8 weeks of age :smile:
  • Kwee91
    Kwee91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Here is the bigger question, how many calories are you eating? Are you using a food scale? Do you exercise? Do you breast feed?

I'm eating 1490, which is what MFP suggested. I work out at least 3 times a week for about an hour and a half but I've been trying 5 days a week. Yes to the food scale and no to breastfeeding.
  • Kwee91
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Insufficient sleep (less than 5-6 hours per 24 hours) over the long term = not enough of the hormone leptin and too much of the hormone ghrelin, which leads to over-eating. There are a lot data out there, and this provides a summary: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060112p48.shtml

With a newborn, basically you all are in survival mode ... do what you can to be sure that the food you eat is nutritious. As you know, the feeding every two hours mode won't last indefinitely. Be kind to yourself :)

So as long as I can control my appetite and make healthy choices I'm hoping it helps. Thank you!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I notice a direct correlation between lack of sleep and hunger. On the days i had a crappy sleep the night before, i am ravenous the next day and constantly on the search for carby foods. This coupled with zero energy makes it incredibly hard to stay in a deficit.
    sjd421 wrote: »

Don't forget full term, healthy weight babies don't need night feeds after 8 weeks of age :smile:

Unfortunately, not all babies read the manual .... :)

There is no manual. .. Parents either choose to get up for months and months on end to feed their kids, or they don't.
    Like i said, healthy, full term babies do not need to have a feed in the middle of the night from 8 weeks old.

Actually its the biological norm for babies to wake at night to feed. Prolactin levels are highest at night

I'm 35 and I still wake for a drink at night

• psuLemon
    Options

I'm eating 1490, which is what MFP suggested. I work out at least 3 times a week for about an hour and a half but I've been trying 5 days a week. Yes to the food scale and no to breastfeeding.

How long have you been tracking? At 9 weeks old, that isn't a lot of time for your body to fully recover.
  • Kwee91
    Options

How long have you been tracking? At 9 weeks old, that isn't a lot of time for your body to fully recover.

Since week 5. But I just weighed myself it said I’ve lost 7lbs. So maybe it’s working and I’m just not noticing yet.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Since week 5. But I just weighed myself it said I’ve lost 7lbs. So maybe it’s working and I’m just not noticing yet.

Yea, that is definitely it. In 4 weeks, you lost 7 lbs... give it time. You are doing well.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As long as you stick to your goal it doesn't hinder weight loss at all.

The only reason sleep deprivation hinders weight loss is because you will feel hungrier as your body looks for energy from other sources. If you don't give I you will lose weight.

Are you breastfeeding? Sometimes the hormones you produce can stall weight loss. In that case just give it time.

How many calories a day are you eating? When my LO was 9 weeks I was losing on about 2200 a day. Now I eat 2000 now that he is 4 months. I'm breastfeeding and 5'6" for reference. If you are breastfeeding don't eat less than 1800 a day regardless of height.

Not gonna lie... I've lost 25 lb... I'm less than my prepreg weight... But some of my clothes from before still don't fit. Things just take time to bounce back!!
  • Kwee91
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    As long as you stick to your goal it doesn't hinder weight loss at all.

The only reason sleep deprivation hinders weight loss is because you will feel hungrier as your body looks for energy from other sources. If you don't give I you will lose weight.

Are you breastfeeding? Sometimes the hormones you produce can stall weight loss. In that case just give it time.

How many calories a day are you eating? When my LO was 9 weeks I was losing on about 2200 a day. Now I eat 2000 now that he is 4 months. I'm breastfeeding and 5'6" for reference. If you are breastfeeding don't eat less than 1800 a day regardless of height.

Not gonna lie... I've lost 25 lb... I'm less than my prepreg weight... But some of my clothes from before still don't fit. Things just take time to bounce back!!

Good! I'm good at controlling myself when it comes to overeating. Not breastfeeding, sadly. According to my FitBit I'm burning anywhere from 2300-2500 calories a day and I'm eating 1490 which is what MFP recommended although sometimes I do eat a little more if I burn more.