STILL gaining weight...

Options
I am so upset right now. I am dieting (not going over on my totals) but yet I STILL gain weight. I don't break down and cry very often, but this is about to bring me to that point. I'm suffering through withdrawals of certain foods....my mouth is salivating at the thought of a juicy cheeseburger loaded with calories and fat... I'm working my *kitten* off to change my ways; and I'm STILL gaining weight. I lost 15 lbs in the first 9 to 10 days, but the past 4 to 5 days I've gained 3 lbs back. :sad:

Anybody else have a problem like this?

Replies

• johnjon99
    johnjon99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am so upset right now. I am dieting (not going over on my totals) but yet I STILL gain weight. I don't break down and cry very often, but this is about to bring me to that point. I'm suffering through withdrawals of certain foods....my mouth is salivating at the thought of a juicy cheeseburger loaded with calories and fat... I'm working my *kitten* off to change my ways; and I'm STILL gaining weight. I lost 15 lbs in the first 9 to 10 days, but the past 4 to 5 days I've gained 3 lbs back. :sad:

Anybody else have a problem like this?
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    15 pounds is amazing. its more than likely water weight and your body getting used to this change. be strong! drink lots of water and stay with in your calories. dont forget to eat your exercise calories.

im sure you'll do great!!!!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When you gain muscle you can gain weight. Also, you lost weight very quickly, your body may be trying to keep weight on...keep it up and the weight will come off! Remember 1-2lbs a week is healthy...so 15lbs in 10 days is VERY fast! Losing weight slowly is no fun, but it is healthy! It couls also be water weight, if you are eating many prepackaged foods...they have a ton of sodium...so that could add to your weight.

Just keep up the good work and be patient! I have been doing this for a month and I have only lost 7 lbs!!! So be proud of the progress you have made!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Grrowler
    Options
    Sound like your doing great johnjon. I've heard of some people when they loose a large amount of weight at once like you did in the beginning they sometimes gain a few pounds back or plateau. Just keep up the work and don't give in.

93151.png
  • rrinnier
    Options
    You may have to change your activity level. I dont know how active you are but i would go one less then what you originally started at. Also you have to chnge your wieght everytime you lose which will lower your caloric intake. If all else fails then do more cardio.
  • cbrooks66
    cbrooks66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your own course, and everybody experiences the big weight loss the first 2-3 weeks, then gains a pound or two thereafter. Time to up your exercise routine. You're doing fine...
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    just stay with, you can do it...Often our bodies just needs to adjust. Best of luck, we are here for you.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating back your exercise calories!! This is very important! If you haven't done so, read the posts for new members by Banks and others. Being too good can be bad!:mad: :grumble: Just don't give up!:noway: If you're a fan of BL, this happens commonly to them, too. Stay on MFP for the support you need!:flowerforyou:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    hard to give you an opinion without some more info, if you haven't already, one of the best things to do is to read all the posts for newbies, they hold a wealth of information on almost everything. Banks did a wonderful job in providing everyone with info on the right way to lose weight.

Just a question, but how many calories are you allowing yourself every day, is the amount based on your BMR that you calculated in the tools section?
  • johnjon99
    johnjon99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hard to give you an opinion without some more info, if you haven't already, one of the best things to do is to read all the posts for newbies, they hold a wealth of information on almost everything. Banks did a wonderful job in providing everyone with info on the right way to lose weight.

Just a question, but how many calories are you allowing yourself every day, is the amount based on your BMR that you calculated in the tools section?

The BMR tool shows that I am allowed 2500 calories per day. I dare say I even get close to that amount. I'm typically eating about 1600 to 1800 calories per day. I'm going to increase my amount of exercise. I really HATE to (as I despise exercising with a goat passion). But, I'm gonna do it. I'm not about to quit or give up!!!
  • amberca1
    Options
    sounds like you are not eating enough! If you are supposed to eat 2500 and you onlu eat 1600 you will go into starvation mode. What types of food are you eating? If you really love that cheeseburger try to make one at home (find a low cal bun) use extra lean beef, and lowfat cheese. You can have the things you love just make it healthier. And burgers aren't so bad- the fries are the killers! Cut up one potatoe like french fries, spray with non-fat cooking spray and roast it its very healthy. Also I too hate excercise but I love food more. I excercise so I can eat more and in the meantime it boosts my mood and tones my body. Don't beat yourself up- you're doing great!!
  • allaboutme
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear it, but you are not eating enough, that is why you are craving sooo much. You have to eat your BMR calories. Your body needs those calories just to wake up in the morning and breath propery. Basic bodily function is run by BMR calories, the minimum you should consume. By eating considerably less, which you are, your body is not receiving enough calories to even sustain its minimum requirements, therefore you are not only torturing yourself daily by consuming less calories than you should be, your body has slowed your metabolism to a crawl and will not allow you to lose any more, it is afraid this trend will continue and you will eventually stop feeding it altogether, so it has a built in defence mechanism. Read the posts on eating your calories and why it is so important to eat what you need. It is as bad to not eat enough as it is to eat too much. A happy balance is what we are looking for.

Plus when you exercise and are not eating enough and you don't eat your exercise calories, you are getting even less calories for your body to maintain itself. For instance, you ate 1600 calories today and burned 800 working out. Your base calories you gave your body to work properly is now 800 when it needed 2500. No wonder it won't let go of the fat, you have it very scared.

It goes against all we ever learned about losing weight right, you must be hungry to lose weight right ??? Wrong. I really urge you to read some of the posts from Banks on eating enough.
  • allaboutme
    Options
  • allaboutme
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

This one was an eye opener for me. Hope it helps.