How to avoid overeating/ eating unhealthy foods at my grandparents house?

Options
My grandparents are basically my plug for all of my favorite unhealthy foods. They bought almost larger than my head cinnamon rolls drenched in icing, they have Oreos, Froot Loops, chocolate chip cookie dough, Cheez-its etc. how can I avoid overeating/ eating this food ? They never buy fruit or anything so we brought over bananas and oatmeal. But I don't know if I can survive off bananas and oatmeal until Tuesday. Along with that, it's super hard for me to resist the urge to just eat everything if it's nearby me.

Replies

• elizabethdzenitis
    elizabethdzenitis Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you do not have to avoid eating anything. Eat a sensible amount, log a close approx reasonable calorie for it.

The point of this is to develope new habits, you cant make new ones if you don't try to change your behavior, avoidance isn't going to teach you anything

But isn't it like a bad idea to just solely divulge in eatting fatty/sugary foods ?
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    Oh god my comment has super bad grammar problems but oh well you get the point I think lol
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Tell them you're trying to avoid added sugars and see if they will keep some healthier foods in the house while you are there.

If they won't, then bring your own healthy food and eat that instead.
  • issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can eat unhealthy food and lose weight. Those are mainly just snacks at your grandmas though. Snacks are my weakness too, so I get the struggle. Just work them in your calories and have a bit. No need to deprive yourself. If you are able to drive then you can get some low calorie stuff for cheap. Surprisingly enough Taco Bell is pretty low calorie and it's cheap. I get the temptations because it surrounds me at my college, but I've learned it's totally cool to give in to those temptations as long as you don't over indulge. Just take a bit and then have a low calorie meal with some water and you'll feel full for a while. Don't put yourself down ever if you want an Oreo or something. I've lost a ton of weight while still eating pizza, drinking beer and eating sweets all because I watch my calories.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If I visit a relative and they have that stuff out I pack it out of sight into their kitchen cupboards and try avoid the kitchen! Also, drink 500ml water about 20 minutes before every meal - it'll help stop you overeating. I also take a tiny first portion so I can accept a second portion and It'S still not a lot of food (Italian mom-in-law)!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Is it just a visit or are you living with them? If you are living with them you can buy your own food. If it's a visit, I second eating at maintenance. Nothing bad will happen if you pause weight loss for a little while when needed. If the visit won't last several weeks or months then you don't even have to worry about the nutritional side of things. You need to be eating poorly consistently over a relatively long period of time to see damage.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    you do not have to avoid eating anything. Eat a sensible amount, log a close approx reasonable calorie for it.

The point of this is to develope new habits, you cant make new ones if you don't try to change your behavior, avoidance isn't going to teach you anything

But isn't it like a bad idea to just solely divulge in eatting fatty/sugary foods ?

You can indulge in fatty and sugary foods within moderation.

Do your grandparents have those foods around normally, or just when you visit? It sounds like your grandmother is still thinking of you as a child. Couldn't you just tell your grandmother ahead of the visit that you're trying to cut back on the treats and eat healthier, so it's not necessary to get them just for you?

Or even better, you could ask if she has a favorite recipe she'd like to show you. Passing down a recipe is a much better way to show love with food than buying store bought treats.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Can you have a heart to heart discussion with your grandparents? They might think they are treating you with things you enjoy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My grandparents are basically my plug for all of my favorite unhealthy foods. They bought almost larger than my head cinnamon rolls drenched in icing, they have Oreos, Froot Loops, chocolate chip cookie dough, Cheez-its etc. how can I avoid overeating/ eating this food ? They never buy fruit or anything so we brought over bananas and oatmeal. But I don't know if I can survive off bananas and oatmeal until Tuesday. Along with that, it's super hard for me to resist the urge to just eat everything if it's nearby me.

Are you just visiting? How old are you?
    They probably mean to be nice and treat you to things you always seemed to enjoy.
    Bringing some of your own food is a good idea. Offer to shop or cook for them.
    Tell and show them what you like to eat now. Don't put down their food. Do talk enthusiastically about what you like.
    Don't eat the stuff you don't want. They are not going to waste money on stuff you won't eat in future.
    Eat reasonable portions of some of the food. Pick one thing maybe.
    Have a maintenance calorie week if it is a visit.
    Get some exercise.
    Get out of the house. Help with outdoor chores. Go for a walk. Take your grandparents somewhere.

I'd say you should worry more about a lack of protein rather than fruit.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    1- no one is making you eat anything.

2- eat a small amount of what you truly want

3- get in a little more exercise or cut back slightly on calories elsewhere for a few days

4- i eat chocolate in some form damn near every day and have lost right about 100 pounds.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options

3- get in a little more exercise or cut back slightly on calories elsewhere for a few days

4- i eat chocolate in some form damn near every day and have lost right about 100 pounds.

Obviously no one is making me eat anything but what am I supposed to eat lol
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Obviously no one is making me eat anything but what am I supposed to eat lol

Smaller portions? You can't cut a cinnamon roll in half or even quarters? Ask your grandmother (or grandfather) to split it with you.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What are meals like? Ask for larger portions? They're not sitting down to dinner and putting a bowl of fruit loops and a cinnamon roll on dinner plates surely?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Non of the food listed is a meal, it is all snacking food.

Share a cinnamon roll if you need a mid morning snack.
    Have the correct serving size of any of the other treats if you feel like them, and they fit into your calories

What are you being offered for meals?

I am old enough to be your grandmother, I get some treats in for family visits, I tell the visitors where they are, and will serve some as snacks, but it is up to them to decide if they want to eat them or not.

I also offer 3 well balanced nutritious meals a day.
    Surely you eat the meals and can skip or reduce the snacks.

Honestly saying no is OK, especially if you are being offered food your grandparents remember you loving when you were younger. Tastes change, just let them know. Communication is key.

I used to get requests for a particular cake, now it is a particular grilled veg dish with bacon (I don't particularly like bacon) I miss the cake, I loved it too, but I am not offended by being told something different is now preferred.

Cheers, h.