Newbie to Keto. Learning as I go

Options
250lbs. 5'6. First Goal to be 200. Can someone confirm my macros. Having a hard time believe how high my numbers are. Barely WO.

Hi everyone:)

Replies

• lalykamp
    lalykamp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will be starting my keto journey tomorrow
  • ironjay37
    ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Welcome, there are a couple groups that may be helpful to Y'all, one is the "low carb community", the other is the "keto only community". I'm on my phone so I look for those in the search area above, it may be in this list if you click on community as well. I hope that's a little helpful
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Add me :smile: I've been keto for 5 months, down 22 lbs. now I'm more modified keto and maintaining. Anyone who would like to add me or message me about keto feel free :smiley:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)

I don't understand everyting you are saying. But I hope I can help.

To lose weight, you have to stick to a calorie deficit - exactly what you may have heard many times, in the form of "eat less, move more". Calories are made up from macronutrients - protein, fat, carbs. You need all of them every day - technically not carbs, because your body makes its own sugar from protein and fat too, but there are essiential nutrients in carby foods.

MFP gives you a calorie goal to aim for. If you set up your accout correctly, and picked an appropriate weightloss rate, and hit your target consistently, and for real, you will lose weight. MFP also suggests a macro split - this is fine for most people. If you want to adjust any numbers, it's smart to know what you are doing, and why, what you want to achieve, and how to tell whether you've achieved it.

Keto is good if you like that way of eating, and if you overeat because you struggle with the sensation of hunger, and if reducing carbs makes you more full. It has no magical properties, you will not lose weight faster, it will not allow you to eat more and lose at the same rate, it is not intrinsically easier to stick to.

Keto is not necessary for weightloss. It can be effective for you in your weightloss process. A sustained calorie deficit is necessary for weightloss.
  • Turb2o
    Turb2o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've gone keto before its hard to stick to it but worth it damm you bread for smelling so good I start tomorrow
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Turb2o wrote: »
    I've gone keto before its hard to stick to it but worth it damm you bread for smelling so good I start tomorrow
    You just can't have too many heads-up's.

Why is keto hard to stick to, why is it worth it, what is wrong with bread, and if keto is so wonderful, why aren't you sticking to it?
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would be happy to give my opinion (though I'm not an expert!), but your diary is locked and you didn't mention what your macros are. I would advise going to the low carb group or the keto group (found under the Community tab), because people there are a lot better informed about low carb diets. Also they generally understand why we choose to eat keto and they don't feel the need to lecture you.

I've been doing keto for 7.5 months and I'm having fantastic success, better than I ever imagined! I won't ever go back to carbs. You can add me as a friend if you want!

ETA: keto is not necessarily hard to stick to, it depends on the person, just as with any other way of eating. I have not had even a single cheat meal since I started on March 1st and I haven't struggled at all.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to give my opinion (though I'm not an expert!), but your diary is locked and you didn't mention what your macros are. I would advise going to the low carb group or the keto group (found under the Community tab), because people there are a lot better informed about low carb diets. Also they generally understand why we choose to eat keto and they don't feel the need to lecture you.

I've been doing keto for 7.5 months and I'm having fantastic success, better than I ever imagined! I won't ever go back to carbs. You can add me as a friend if you want!

ETA: keto is not necessarily hard to stick to, it depends on the person, just as with any other way of eating. I have not had even a single cheat meal since I started on March 1st and I haven't struggled at all.

Same, I've had nothing but success with it. It especially fits me because of my hypothyroidism, it cuts back extremely on inflammation, water weight and has helped severely with my gut issues.

I also agree that anyone on a low carb/keto WOE should head over to the groups on here specially made for support, questions and overall comfortability.
  • 87jeppy
    87jeppy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Keto. Today is my day 1. Hope that I'm able to stick to it and stay motivated. Current weight is 221 and I need to get to 180.
  • aloha198
    aloha198 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey starting Keto today too! Good luck
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out although it is not the only LCHF themed group in MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group