"Bad Food Karma" - Help the starving

Options
So, if there is such a thing as karma, I believe I probably have BAD food KARMA, from all the years of over indulging in food all while knowing that there are millions of people starving on earth at any given time. So, given that I have my eating under control and am more thoughtful about it, I thought: why not help the starving and get some good karma?

There are currently 13 MILLION people suffering from a drought in the Horn of Africa. Thousands of innocent people are dying daily, all because they have no food and water.

It costs just 50 cents to feed a person for a day. Donate $10 to the UN World Food Programme simply by texting the word AID to 27722.

Yep, that's right - your donation takes 3 seconds and will show up on your cell bill. Just text AID to 27722 and your $10 will feed 20 people today!

Replies

• glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As a returned peace corps volunteer, who has lived in one of these impoverished countries for two years in africa, I'm wary of large organizations who simply throw money and food at starving people.
    Money does not reach those who need it most, due to incredible corruption at the highest levels, and giving people food creates laziness amongst the young who feel they no longer have to work to earn the things they need.

Furthermore, this is simply not sustainable.

I'm more interested in solutions which educate people on efficient farming techniques. Consider donating to organizations like Kiva, which fund smaller organizations working at the grassroots level.

My $.02.
  • ashleyexacto
    Options
    As a returned peace corps volunteer, who has lived in one of these impoverished countries for two years in africa, I'm wary of large organizations who simply throw money and food at starving people.
    Money does not reach those who need it most, due to incredible corruption at the highest levels, and giving people food creates laziness amongst the young who feel they no longer have to work to earn the things they need.

Furthermore, this is simply not sustainable.

I'm more interested in solutions which educate people on efficient farming techniques. Consider donating to organizations like Kiva, which fund smaller organizations working at the grassroots level.

My $.02.

agreed! :)
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My $.02.

Yes, and it's those "two cents" which creates apathy and now plenty of people will probably not donate. Thanks!

The UN World Food Programme is a legitimate organization. And, texting the word AID is a *simple* way to donate, versus scouting out some local organization of which you approve.

Furthermore, the whole "laziness among the young" notion? Well, right now the YOUNG are INFANTS who are dying b/c there is a severe drought. I could care less whether it encourages "laziness." They're infants.

People are dying in other plces in the world b/c they don't have enough food. Ironically, this site is full of millions of users who need support for eating too much.
  • CeejayGee
    Options
    [/quote]

agreed! :)
    [/quote]

Good, then make your donation to Kiva. But don't just do nothing...

How about posting some links to these organizations of which you approve?

But, if folks want a simple way to donate $10 to the cause, the UN World Food Programme is legitimate and all you have to do is text "AID" to 27722
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My $.02.

Yes, and it's those "two cents" which creates apathy and now plenty of people will probably not donate. Thanks!

Your welcome for my two years of unpaid service in Africa with those starving people. Good job for donating $10 so you can feel less guilty about living in a nation of gluttony.
  • crnbhr
    crnbhr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good post here! I donated through a different organization the other day. Glad to see like minded people that want to help the suffering.
  • CeejayGee
    Options
    Your welcome for my two years of unpaid service in Africa with those starving people. Good job for donating $10 so you can feel less guilty about living in a nation of gluttony.

And, congratulations on clearly doing it so selfishly and without any smugness or arrogance about it whatsoever!

And, you know, a lot of us (if not most) can't AFFORD the PRIVILEGE of providing two years of unpaid service anywhere, thank you very much. Some of us actually have to earn money to survive.