I really need advice (transitioning for treadmill to outside

Options
I have a 5K coming up on the 27th of this month. I've been running for quite some time and I get better and better every time. I can run a 5K on the treadmill no problem, I'm worried about running outside. I know that it is quite different and can be a lot harder. So suggestions, tips, and ideas on transitioning and what to do different would be appreciated. I really want to nail this 5K at work. I know I can do it!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    just get your butt outside and run! try to pace yourself...that is the hardest part when making the switch so a running watch will be helpful.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It'll be a tougher, but feels much better. Nothing else to do but get out and run. Pacing is definetely the hardest part, if you have a smart phone, addidas micoach and other apps like that will keep pace for you.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I find running outside easier.... you will need to remember to pace yourself better. I find that with how easy I find the run I go too fast. I have gotten better over time though. I would recommend that you run a mile outside twice a week, if that is okay move to two miles twice a week. Once you got that down go for three :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the Harry Potter movies? In particular the Prisoner of Azkaban? You know how in the end, when they used the Time Turner, Harry was able to defeat the Dementors because he knew he already did?

That's what you have to remember when running outside. Remember that you CAN do this, because you already did it.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I agree with others above! You have to get out there and run it's the only way you will be fully prepared for your 5K. The ground outside is less forgiving, but when you get that scenery and air surrounding you it will feel great.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    I find outdoor running much easier than the treadmill. A good practice, so I've been told, is to set the treadmill to 1% incline to mimick the road. But, just get out there! You'll be surprised how quickly it goes by with the change in scenery!
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    What about getting a GPS watch for pace? I love mine. I can set it to beep if I slow down to much or speed up to much.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest adjustments was to the wind. It has its good and bad... it helps cool you down, but it is also harder run into the wind, just push through it. Another thing is when its real windy I keep my head down for me it seems to make easier to breathe...

Best wishes in your up coming 5k, kick some butt!!!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I find outdoors not much different. I ran my first 5k back in May after using an indoor track and treadmill all winter. I timed myself indoors and it took me 31mins to do 5k but when I did the actual race it only took me 27. There is more incline outside so I actually switched to the elliptical for 20mins using a high incline just to strengthen my legs and found it really worked. Or just increase ur incline on the treadmill.
    But I wouldnt worry you will do great running with other people is the greatest motivator
    Good luck!!!
  • BrianaLyn123
    Options
    You got some great advice regarding the transition to outdoors. It's nice to have the option to run in and outside (no excuses for bad weather). Best of luck with your 5k! Is it your first? I bet it won't be your last!!
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    You'll enjoy the scenery. You won't enjoy the hills (if you have them on your route). Just stick with it. The RunKeeper app helps me keep a decent pace, as others have suggested.