Thanksgiving is a good time to give back.

TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
In 1973, I was stationed in 29 Palms, California. Couldn't go home for Thanksgiving. I rode my motorcycle into Palm Springs and was just wandering around. I sat down on a bench in a mall and statrted people watching. Trying to figure out which fast food joint I would eat at, so that I didn't have to go back to base and eat the Marine Corps version of Thanksgiving.

A little girl, whose mother was shopping, came out of a store and sat down beside me. About 6. Started asking me questions and chatting -- as 6 yr olds do.

She went back into the store and came out again with her mother in tow. Her mother invited me to Thanksgiving dinner at the little girl's request. I feel badly that I can't remember her name, but it was 40 years ago. But I will always remember that Thanksgiving and how much it meant to me.

As I spent my time in the Corps, I had many opportunities to be stattioned near my parents' home and I brought a lot of Marines home for Holidays and weekends. Marines eat a lot and my parents were poor.

A few years ago, my mother confessed to me that many times the Marines that I brought home ate up her week's budget for food. I asked her why she never told me. She told me she was happy and proud to be able to help those boys and that she always hoped that if I were ever stationed away from home, somebodie's mother would do the same for her son.

My parents have since passed away. I am going to miss them this weekend. In her memory, we always have a couple stragglers at our table for the holidays.

Think about all the leftovers you try to figure out what to do with and realize you probably have room at your table for someone that isn't as fortunate as you are.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I am going to. With Family, Old Friends and a couple new Friends.

Replies

• ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    I've never seen people do this for others. Around here even if the offer is made the straggler declines. It's a nice thought though, and it's beautiful that you and your family open your home. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    We always have extras at our gathering too. I love this! Happy Thanksgiving.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    We always have extras at our gathering too. I love this! Happy Thanksgiving.

Same here!!

Thanks for the lovely musings & story.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing :smile:
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It was well said and truly put a nice perspective on this weekend.

Being retired Army, I spent many a holidays at friends’ homes in my early years. Later, my wife and I always had an open door for the 'guys' from the unit. After retirement we would adopt a soldier(s) for the holidays.

This weekend is a little different; we are spending the day at a friend’s house, with other retirees and co-workers. We all continue to serve, only now as civilians. Enjoying each other’s company, telling stories and saluting those who sacrificed it all for our country.

It will be a joyfully sad time. We will, most likely argue, laugh and shed a tear or two. Most of all, we will give thanks what we have………..
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    :flowerforyou:

We can always make room for more people at my house, and we usually do! No one should be alone during the holidays
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    One year, my family and I picked up a large catered Thanksgiving meal provided by our church, brought it to a nursing home, served dinner and mingled with the residents. Some of them had family who had come to visit, some were alone, so we tried to give them special attention. Another year we delivered premade individual meals to shut-ins throughout the city. My daughter, who was about four at the time, made each of them a holiday wreath of paper leaf cutouts stapled to paper plates. The people were all grateful for the meals, but just spending a few minutes with them and having my daughter give them a wreath and a hug was so special! Made us think about all the blessings we had to thank God for.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I took a chance and image searched 'Thanksgiving onesie adult' at work. Thankfully, the results were not violation worthy. Sadly, it looks like your best option might be dressing up like a giant turkey. Loved your OP from back in 2013 too, btw.
  • TheRoadDog
    edited October 2017
    Here's the cool part. My Parents moved to Orange County from Fresno in December of that same year. Now they were close enough to visit on weekends and I almost always did. For the next three years that I was in the Marine Corps I would head out on the weekends to my parents' house, usually bringing a Marine or two with me, because their families were across the country. My parents were poor and ended up feeding Marines for the next three years, whenever I was stationed in So Cal. It wasn't until my Father died about 12 years ago, that my Mom told me that me and my Marine buddies usually ate all the food budgeted for the week. Her and Dad had to get creative to keep food on the table for my brothers and sisters still at home. That made me very sad that I never realized that. I asked her why she never said anything, because we could have chipped in. She told me she took care of all my Marine friends because she hoped that someday, when I was stationed far from home, someone would do the same for her son. She passed away not long after that, but I always think of her at Thanksgiving and I always feel lucky that we have so many new friends show up.
  • TheRoadDog
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I took a chance and image searched 'Thanksgiving onesie adult' at work. Thankfully, the results were not violation worthy. Sadly, it looks like your best option might be dressing up like a giant turkey. Loved your OP from back in 2013 too, btw.

I just found this on Amazon and ordered it. dbis025io2yb.png
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    I need serious motivation and encouragement from family with attending any food-based gathering. Like a stubborn donkey I resist moving an inch and thus they bug me until I relent. Why? Because I am always asked to cook and it's work, work, work. Same goes for the holidays. I just want to turn off my phone, lock my door, and turn off all the lights so they won't see me hiding in the darkest corner of my lair. I love my family very very much it's just that I have grown to love what little free time I get...and yes I have grown a tad bit lazy over the years concerning celebrations.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    In 1973, I was stationed in 29 Palms, California. Couldn't go home for Thanksgiving. I rode my motorcycle into Palm Springs and was just wandering around. I sat down on a bench in a mall and statrted people watching. Trying to figure out which fast food joint I would eat at, so that I didn't have to go back to base and eat the Marine Corps version of Thanksgiving.

A little girl, whose mother was shopping, came out of a store and sat down beside me. About 6. Started asking me questions and chatting -- as 6 yr olds do.

She went back into the store and came out again with her mother in tow. Her mother invited me to Thanksgiving dinner at the little girl's request. I feel badly that I can't remember her name, but it was 40 years ago. But I will always remember that Thanksgiving and how much it meant to me.

As I spent my time in the Corps, I had many opportunities to be stattioned near my parents' home and I brought a lot of Marines home for Holidays and weekends. Marines eat a lot and my parents were poor.

A few years ago, my mother confessed to me that many times the Marines that I brought home ate up her week's budget for food. I asked her why she never told me. She told me she was happy and proud to be able to help those boys and that she always hoped that if I were ever stationed away from home, somebodie's mother would do the same for her son.

My parents have since passed away. I am going to miss them this weekend. In her memory, we always have a couple stragglers at our table for the holidays.

Think about all the leftovers you try to figure out what to do with and realize you probably have room at your table for someone that isn't as fortunate as you are.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I am going to. With Family, Old Friends and a couple new Friends.

That's a Beautiful story! Thank You for sharing. <3